Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > Other Tours > Olympics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 05:26 AM   #21

There won't be anyone embarrassing in the Games. The worst players will be considerably better than the worst players in the four majors. Better that is than the flukiest qualifiers in the U.S. and British Opens, the club pros who miss the cut en masse at the PGA, and the ancient former champions that play the Masters. The worst players will be about 500th in the world rankings, and the world 531 nearly won the U.S. Open the weekend before last.

But it is still a bad format because it won't even come close to making the Olympics the elite event in the sport. Not that any format could, but if the world top 50 were all present they could at least claim to be trying to rival the majors. If golf must be in the Olympics, it should be a team event (a small team event like the World Cup, not a big team event like the Ryder Cup) because it could surpass the little-regarded World Cups.
Oliver Chettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #22

Originally Posted by Oliver Chettle View Post
There won't be anyone embarrassing in the Games. The worst players will be considerably better than the worst players in the four majors. Better that is than the flukiest qualifiers in the U.S. and British Opens, the club pros who miss the cut en masse at the PGA, and the ancient former champions that play the Masters. The worst players will be about 500th in the world rankings, and the world 531 nearly won the U.S. Open the weekend before last.

But it is still a bad format because it won't even come close to making the Olympics the elite event in the sport. Not that any format could, but if the world top 50 were all present they could at least claim to be trying to rival the majors. If golf must be in the Olympics, it should be a team event (a small team event like the World Cup, not a big team event like the Ryder Cup) because it could surpass the little-regarded World Cups.
I will take a hint from Rusty and increase the font size to 3.

As for the Olympics, yes I would like to see it played there as well, and as some kind of tournament.

And something small that takes at most 6 or 7 days to complete.

Just a view, as most events do not go longer then that at the Olympics.... or interests tends to lag then. As most vacationing at the O are on days to one week length visits.

So it would be kinda like a tiny tour in a normal event span.

Man there sure is a big jump from 2 to 3 in font size.... humm. :-)