Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > Other Tours > Olympics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #71

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
You said,

"In most olympic sports,a gold medal is the pinnacle of a competitor's career,it doesn't get any better than winning gold.

That would not be the case in golf."

That's also true for basketball (NBA Championship), hockey (Stanley Cup), marathon (winning Boston -- or maybe New York or London), cycling (winning the Tour de France), etc. And not all of these are team events.

Yet, athletes in these sports, clamor to play in the Olympics, train extra for them, go through extra qualifying, risk injuries in the process, and make a fraction of what they make in their regular season, all for the glory of Olympic gold.
It's still not the same for basketball and hockey as it would be for golf.

Nations do not win the Stanley Cup nor the NBA Championship ;so winning an Olympic gold,as part of a team representing your country,is some kind of pinnacle.

And golfers,for certain,would not be doing any kind of extra training,or going through qualifying or risking injury.

They would turn up,probably a couple of days before their 'event' started,play golf and leave.

You can stick a flag on them,but they aren't really representing anyone other than themselves.I can't imagine Tiger and Philly Mick staying in the Olympic village.

I'm sure when this idea was first mooted,there were a few (pretty famous) golfers who thought that the idea of golf at the Olympics was preposterous.

But everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet,these days...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #72

I'm not convinced about golf being in the Olympics. As Saint-JX has said....what is the point?

It will never be the "pinnacle" of golf's acheivments....we already have Championships for that....the US Open, the Open Championship, The PGA, The Masters. And...on the women's side, their comparable championships.

Who the hell remembers who won the gold medal last time in tennis? Ok...look it up...fine...but I'm a fairly avid sports fan, and I do not remember. Guessing some Russian woman and maybe Federer? It's like who cares?

But I know that every tennis/sports fan knows who won Wimbledon.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #73
sag

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
I'm not convinced about golf being in the Olympics. As Saint-JX has said....what is the point?

It will never be the "pinnacle" of golf's acheivments....we already have Championships for that....the US Open, the Open Championship, The PGA, The Masters. And...on the women's side, their comparable championships.

Who the hell remembers who won the gold medal last time in tennis? Ok...look it up...fine...but I'm a fairly avid sports fan, and I do not remember. Guessing some Russian woman and maybe Federer? It's like who cares?

But I know that every tennis/sports fan knows who won Wimbledon.
I know Dementieva won the gold--I didn't need to look that up. However, I did look up her statement on this subject:

Elena Dementieva: E. Dementieva interview August 25 | Facebook
Q. Serena Williams said on Saturday that when she was a little girl growing up that she had so many dreams of winning Wimbledon, winning the French Open, winning the Australian Open, the US Open, winning a lot of tournaments, Grand Slams. She said she never really dreamed of being an Olympic champion. That wasn't part of the plan. Obviously she won gold in doubles. She said it was kind of a special feeling, one that she hadn't really thought of as a little girl. When you were growing up, I mean, I'm sure you dreamed of Grand Slam titles, but did you ever dream also? Was Olympic gold always something that you dreamed of?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Well, in Russia, if you stop anyone in the street and ask what is a Grand Slam, I don't think many people can tell you what is this. But everyone knows what ‑‑ I mean, Olympic Games. There is nothing bigger. There is nothing more important than Olympic Games for an athlete, for a sportsperson.

So I was watching a lot, I was dreaming a lot, and for me, that was once again the biggest goal for this year.

All my preparation, you know, from the beginning of the year, you know, was playing singles only because I wanted to make sure I saved some energy for the start. I didn't playing any of the tournaments, you know, in the summer that I like to play, you know, in the US Open Series. I didn't play any of them. In Montreal only.

But I was getting ready. For me, this is the biggest, biggest event.
sag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:15 AM   #74

Thanks Sag - and I think that is the main point of points, and why golf should be in the Olimpics.... world recognition, then comes pride and all the rest.... :-)
Old 08-19-2009, 05:32 AM   #75

Originally Posted by sag View Post
I know Dementieva won the gold--I didn't need to look that up. However, I did look up her statement on this subject:

Elena Dementieva: E. Dementieva interview August 25 | Facebook
Q. Serena Williams said on Saturday that when she was a little girl growing up that she had so many dreams of winning Wimbledon, winning the French Open, winning the Australian Open, the US Open, winning a lot of tournaments, Grand Slams. She said she never really dreamed of being an Olympic champion. That wasn't part of the plan. Obviously she won gold in doubles. She said it was kind of a special feeling, one that she hadn't really thought of as a little girl. When you were growing up, I mean, I'm sure you dreamed of Grand Slam titles, but did you ever dream also? Was Olympic gold always something that you dreamed of?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Well, in Russia, if you stop anyone in the street and ask what is a Grand Slam, I don't think many people can tell you what is this. But everyone knows what ‑‑ I mean, Olympic Games. There is nothing bigger. There is nothing more important than Olympic Games for an athlete, for a sportsperson.

So I was watching a lot, I was dreaming a lot, and for me, that was once again the biggest goal for this year.

All my preparation, you know, from the beginning of the year, you know, was playing singles only because I wanted to make sure I saved some energy for the start. I didn't playing any of the tournaments, you know, in the summer that I like to play, you know, in the US Open Series. I didn't play any of them. In Montreal only.

But I was getting ready. For me, this is the biggest, biggest event.
Elena's lovely,and all,but I wonder what she'd have said about the importance of the Olympics if,say,she'd have been knocked out in the quarter finals ?

I know,I know,cynicism is such an unappealing trait...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #76
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
It's still not the same for basketball and hockey as it would be for golf.

Nations do not win the Stanley Cup nor the NBA Championship ;so winning an Olympic gold,as part of a team representing your country,is some kind of pinnacle.

And golfers,for certain,would not be doing any kind of extra training,or going through qualifying or risking injury.

They would turn up,probably a couple of days before their 'event' started,play golf and leave.

You can stick a flag on them,but they aren't really representing anyone other than themselves.I can't imagine Tiger and Philly Mick staying in the Olympic village.

I'm sure when this idea was first mooted,there were a few (pretty famous) golfers who thought that the idea of golf at the Olympics was preposterous.

But everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet,these days...
I'm not sure where you got the idea that you're representing your country any more or any less when your part of a team. I'm not following that argument at all.

As for the Olympic Village, that wasn't brought up either. A lot of athletes even in minor sports don't stay in the village.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote