Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > Other Tours > Olympics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #11
Administrator

I am a big Henderson fan and I couldn't help but notice the static play on the front 9 in round 3 her playing partners seemed to be disorganized and that led to slow play resulting in a disastrous 40 on the back 9 for Henderson. Even as a spectator I was getting frustrated by the young player from Denmark who brought in the officials on two separate occasions for rulings. There is a lot to say about pairings and that was a bad pairing for young Henderson. Once you lose your focus on a difficult course like the Olympic layout, it's going to be a rough day for anyone.
Balabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:19 PM   #12
Contest Statistician

But that is golf. At this point she should have played with every type of player. Just don't know why they are just so slow. This course had no trees ,deep grass, or water in play.

Also another failure of Pillar to do anything when it counts.

Queen Bee does it again. Not much to say.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #13
Forum Moderator

The Olympics have come and gone. Zika did not appear to be a threat, though the USOC probably wishes Ryan Lochte had copped the Zika excuse and stayed home. Crime and water pollution were not major events. The people of Rio put on a good show. But I've changed my mind on the place of golf in the Olympics. This is not because it interferes with the PGA and LPGA Tour schedule and not because it's not "stuff that matters," per McIlroy.

The problem is that almost all Olympics spectators are watching on television and golf with its five-hour plus rounds spread over four days doesn't work well within the format Olympic television coverage that has to switch among different sports.

If golf is going to stay in the Olympics, the format should be changed to drastically shorten the length of the event and make it easier to watch and more exciting for the television audience that is made up mostly of people who don't regularly watch golf. There's nothing wrong with the audience for the Olympics being non-golf watchers. It's actually a good thing.

Here's a proposal:
1. Any player in the top 200 of the OWGR or Rolex is illegible for the Olympics.

2. Each country then chooses, by whatever method they choose, up to three male and three female players to compete in the Olympics. This should result in a field of about 75 players for each of the men's and women's events.

3. The event consists of one day for each event -- men's and women's -- with a nine hole morning round, after which the top half of the field advances to the afternoon nine-hole medal round. The medal rounds could also be played on the next day.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #14

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
The problem is that almost all Olympics spectators are watching on television and golf with its five-hour plus rounds spread over four days doesn't work well within the format Olympic television coverage that has to switch among different sports.
Didn't TGC in the States show it in its entirety?

Genuine question,as,over here,it was possible to watch the whole thing,from start to finish,without any interruptions or breaks.

Not that I did,of course.

Originally Posted by Blue View Post

Here's a proposal:

The event consists of one day for each event -- men's and women's -- with a nine hole morning round, after which the top half of the field advances to the afternoon nine-hole medal round. The medal rounds could also be played on the next day.
The problem with that,is that the IOC want each sport in the Olympics to pretty much replicate how it's played outside of the Olympics.

Also,that would be a hell of a long way to travel for half the competitors to play only nine holes.

I've got a proposal for golf in the Olympics *wink wink*...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #15
Contest Statistician

You could watch the whole thing on the golf channel.
Watched all18 of men.

Format is fine.

Men played about 4 hours .

Women well over 5. The problem is with the players.
This is what they do week in week out on the LPGA tour.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Didn't TGC in the States show it in its entirety?

Genuine question,as,over here,it was possible to watch the whole thing,from start to finish,without any interruptions or breaks.

Not that I did,of course.
Probably they did. I'd be surprised if the viewership was very high. Most Olympics fans want to see some of every sport. They're not going to spend eight full days watching golf. And most avid golf fans aren't going to bother either. They can watch the same, or better, players in a tournament every week.

The problem with that,is that the IOC want each sport in the Olympics to pretty much replicate how it's played outside of the Olympics.
Which really makes no sense for golf.

Also,that would be a hell of a long way to travel for half the competitors to play only nine holes.
Or to look at it another way, only 18 holes for an Olympic medal.

Last edited by Blue; 08-22-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote