Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #1

Never Imagined I'd Be Here!

Hello To All… allow me to introduce myself with some basic facts.

1. I was born Legally Blind (totally blind in one eye, very legally blind in the other) I have enough vision to walk around without bumping into things, but can’t see detail “like faces” from more than about 4 feet away. Therefore, I have never stepped onto a real golf course… Yet! I am also in the bottom 10% financially, so I can’t afford golf lessons… Yet! I have to believe there are some pretty good legally blind golfers out there?

2. As silly as this sounds, I learned everything I know about the game by playing golf video games. I became “extremely” good at it. If only I could transfer those skills into the real world!

3. This is my first year following the LPGA. It just never occurred to me before because the men get SO much more coverage and attention. So far, I’m loving it for various reasons.

4. I followed the PGA off & on for several years, but I now prefer the LPGA for the same reason I prefer women’s tennis. The game just "seems" a bit slower and easier to follow. I also like the diversity in personalities (and outfits) that seem to be missing from the PGA? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me you learn more about the “real” person watching the LPGA. Most of the women show their "in the moment" emotions far more than 95% of the men.

5. I chose the user name Typical_Guy because I guess I am. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have a couple favorite players based on looks. That said, I worked a long time in the local x-ray department with ALL women, including my female boss. I can say with 100% assurance that you ladies are just as bad as men (if not worse) when it comes to looking, lusting, and making salacious comments if you see a hot guy. So please… don’t be a hypocrite by slamming me if I make a comment about a player’s looks or her outfit.

6. Remember, I’m new this season to the LPGA, but some of my favorite players so far include:

Lydia Ko – What a GREAT personality. SO poised and mature for her age!

Morgan Pressel – Fun to watch AND listen to. Its been too long and she needs a win. How can you not root for her if she’s near the top at the end!

Stacey Lewis – After watching my first tournament, my favorite was Lexi Thompson. Her aggressive play and pretty nice legs caught my attention. Now that I’m over the "typical guy" drooling phase, Stacy has absolutely become my favorite “Go For It” girl! You gotta love her fearlessness and her heart!
( I guess experience will do that for some )

Paula Creamer – So don’t laugh, but Paula is on this list because she’s the player I always used when playing the video games. I did darn good with her too!

Sandra Gal &
Natalie Gulbis:
Ok, I wouldn’t be a “typical guy” if I didn’t have 2 favorites based on looks. “At least I admit It”! Sandra not only has a great smile, she has really nice legs! Natalie is just a gifted beauty with the gifted talent to play in the LPGA. I know its wrong to envy her husband, but she sure makes it tough. Even my fiancé agrees that these 2 lovely ladies really “got it goin’ on”.
( my fiancé always drools over Phil Mickelson, so I'm aloud to appreciate true beauty too! )

7. Finally, I’m looking forward to learning a lot more about the game, the rules, and sharing thoughts about each tournament. As I join this board today 5/4/2015, I just witnessed a 4 day masterpiece at the North Texas Shootout by Inbee Park!

I’ve watched 4 tournaments so far. Pretty girls, animated personalities, great technique… the LPGA has it all. The last day of this tournament we really focused on Inbee Park’s unique drive. Such an effortless backswing compared to most. She almost makes it look like your backswing isn’t as important as one might think. I was also captivated by Lydia’s ball stuck in the tree, and the comments about the possible various rulings. Anyway, that’s quite a bit about me. I’m excited to have found a new sport to watch and some great players to root for. I hope I’ll be welcome.

( please forgive the bold font, its easier for me to see )

Last edited by Typical_Guy; 05-05-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Typical_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #2

For a blind guy...you sure see lots things that a typical 20/20 vision guy couldn't see.

But anyway, welcome to the board.1!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #3

Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
For a blind guy...you sure see lots things that a typical 20/20 vision guy couldn't see.
Well... I can't help that I have to pull my chair right up to the TV to watch!

Last edited by Typical_Guy; 05-05-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
Contest Statistician

You picked a good year to follow women's golf. Currently there is a lot of talent to go around and the top players are playing some outstanding golf.

I have been following the LPGA for a while and I don't think that I have seen the play and tournaments this good.

The only other time that I found this interesting was when Annika Sorenstam was winning 10 tournament a year. Now we don't have that kind of dominance by one person, but there is a lot of good play to go around.

I also think that this year there is going to be a good Solheim Cup (Ryder Cup For Women). That should be interesting.

just some of my thoughts on the year.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #5

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
I also think that this year there is going to be a good Solheim Cup (Ryder Cup For Women)

Hey xman5...

We were wondering about the Solheim Cup. Telling me its basically
the women's Ryder Cup is just the kind of stuff I want to know. Thanks!