Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #1

I guess this is where I am supposed to introduce myself

Ok, where to start.

My name is Steve and I grew up in Upstate NY, in a small down called Corning. The LPGA started hosting an event in Corning, when I was in elementary school.

So for me, when I hear someone talk about 'golf royalty' I think of Nancy Lopez and Rosie Jones before I think of Jack or Arnold. Nothing against the men, but the woman I got to see up close as a kid and beyond.

As an adult I volunteered for transportation where I got to talk to and work with several of the players. Many of them are super nice ladies. As my 'handle' would indicate, my favorite player is Natalie. The first event I volunteered for, I was not at the desk when she signed out her car. My father was and told her his son was a big fan. She took out her glove and ball from her practice round and signed both and said, 'give these to your son'. Later in the week she dropped off a signed picture, and at the end of the week, I got to drive her back to her housing. There was a NASCAR event on at the time, and she was asking questions about it because a friend was racing in it. So I got to spend 15 minutes of one on one time with her talking sports. I was hooked from that point on!!

Corning no longer has an event but the LPGA does still come to Rochester which is only 90 miles away. I have also been to Toledo to see there event, and I went to Vegas once for the 3 tour.

In addition to being an LPGA fan, I am also a fan of American Football, Baseball (as long as it is the Yankees), SCUBA, Photography, and music.

I work as a buyer for a manufacturing company.

I have met Balabill and we are facebook friends and he recommended I check this site out. So if I bug anyone, feel free to blame Bill. LOL
sjhnatfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Contest Statistician

Your a Yankee fan so your ok.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #3

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Your a Yankee fan so your ok.
In my family it was a tradition that for your 10th birthday you got to pick where we went for vacation. My older brothers 10th he wanted to go to a Yankee game. I was 6.5. It was bat day and I got a Mickey Rivers. My brother got Thurman Munson. Been a Yankee fan ever since.

I don't consider myself a huge baseball fan. I didn't watch the series this year because the Yankees weren't in it. But definitely a Yankee fan.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #4

SJH
You should also consider the Manulife....not too far....especially if it relocates to one of the great private tracks around the GTA.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
SJH
You should also consider the Manulife....not too far....especially if it relocates to one of the great private tracks around the GTA.
Where is that???

I have thought about going to the Match Play in Jersey but the down side is if your player doesn't go far, you wasted a trip. Half the field plays only one round and most of those don't go 18 holes.

Last edited by sjhnatfan; 12-19-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #6

Waterloo, Ont...Grey Silo is kinda a goat track....I heard no other course was willing to host it....Westmount G&CC is a great track nearby.

Ya, Sybase wouldn't be the best over 4 days...although this year's was great cause Aza won...they had a free tix promo...yet not many went with over 8M people nearby to draw from???!!!???

You should go to the 2013 USWO....but might be expensive for hotels and I think the hwy on LI can be a gong show.

If you kiss Xman's butt....maybe he'll let you crash on his driveway or garage....or if you buy him a Mickey Mantle signed baseball.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #7

Welcome to myLPGA, sjhnatfan!
I like your Fan loyalty and passion for Natalie! No question, she's classy, beautiful, and huge for the LPGA.
JJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
Waterloo, Ont...Grey Silo is kinda a goat track....I heard no other course was willing to host it....Westmount G&CC is a great track nearby.

Ya, Sybase wouldn't be the best over 4 days...although this year's was great cause Aza won...they had a free tix promo...yet not many went with over 8M people nearby to draw from???!!!???

You should go to the 2013 USWO....but might be expensive for hotels and I think the hwy on LI can be a gong show.

If you kiss Xman's butt....maybe he'll let you crash on his driveway or garage....or if you buy him a Mickey Mantle signed baseball.
I graduated from Long Island University at Southampton.... So I am familar with LI especially that area. The college is closed now but it used to be rented out when the US Open for men was at Shinnecock. It was directly across the highway.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #9

Originally Posted by JJfan View Post
Welcome to myLPGA, sjhnatfan!
I like your Fan loyalty and passion for Natalie! No question, she's classy, beautiful, and huge for the LPGA.
Thank you.

In my time volunteering I have become fans of many of the players, but no one more than Natalie. Amy Hung is a sweet heart. IK Kim is great. Kathrine Hull is awesome. Kim Hall is also a total sweetie. My father fell in love with Michael Parmlid and Minea Bloomquist.

Natalie is my favorite and I admit the first thing I noticed was that she is stunning. But I am the type of person that I when I become a fan of some one (an actor, musician, athlete, whoever) I try to learn as much as I can about them. The more I found out about Natalie, by watcher her show, reading her blogs, or actually talking to her personally, the more I liked. She is bar none the most fan friendly player on tour. I love reading all of the 'for the love of the fans' about Natalie but I can't honestly say that any of those have ever shocked me. When I read what she did to make a fan feel special I say to myself 'off course she did'. I remember one of her shows where she was the grand marshall for bowl game between OSU and Toby Keith was on the sidelines. She kind of skipped over to the guy who was showing them around and said 'can you introduce us to Toby Keith?' all excited. I think that joy she gets from being a fan of people REALLY shows when it comes to how she treats her fans.

I am so glad she is getting healthy again. Some say she is only a pretty face but her talent level is up there with anyone when she is 100% healthy. She made a million in one year on the tour, being the only player to do it with out winning at least one event. So even though she wasn't winning, she was constantly in the near the top. The year before she won Evian she and Lorena were the only players to finish in the TOP 20 in all four majors. In the ADT championship Lorena beat Nat by a stroke and Lorena had hit one into the rough in a spot several others can done and cost them each two strokes. Lorena hit what she called afterwords 'the best shot of her career' to not lose a stroke and she beat Natalie by one. So if the best player in the world has to hit the best shot of her career, with 1 million bucks on the line, in order to beat you..... you have some serious game. Then the back injuries got worse. She never complained she just gave it her all and kept smiling.

As I said before the best thing for the LPGA is for Natalie to win a major, preferably the US Open.

Last edited by sjhnatfan; 12-19-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Forum Moderator

Natalie Gulbis never finished in the top-10 in all four majors in one year. The year before 2007 when she won the Evian, she had one top-10 in a major and she has only seven top-10s in majors in her entire career, with 41 majors played.

It's fine that you're all a-twitter over Natalie, but it helps to have the facts correct if you want to convince others that she's the best thing to happen to the LPGA.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote