Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 04:20 AM   #11

If you have a parent or grandparent born in Ireland, and have the documentary proof, you can get Irish citizenship and then a passport. Been into it because my grandfather was Irish. As I already carry Australian and British passports I felt a third one was overload, so haven't pursued it, though after the Scots vote on September 18th I might!

Certain countries who used to gain entry for 90 days via the Visa Waiver program are now required to apply for an ESTA, which is an authority to travel to the USA. It lasts two years from approval and costs $14, and the 90 days still applies. All done electronically and you are not required to carry the paperwork with you, however, no have posssibly no enter when you get to the USA.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #12
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
If you have a parent or grandparent born in Ireland, and have the documentary proof, you can get Irish citizenship and then a passport. Been into it because my grandfather was Irish. As I already carry Australian and British passports I felt a third one was overload, so haven't pursued it, though after the Scots vote on September 18th I might!

Certain countries who used to gain entry for 90 days via the Visa Waiver program are now required to apply for an ESTA, which is an authority to travel to the USA. It lasts two years from approval and costs $14, and the 90 days still applies. All done electronically and you are not required to carry the paperwork with you, however, no have posssibly no enter when you get to the USA.
Ireland is part of the 90 day visa program so you don't need a visa, but you are correct that you need to apply for the ESTA.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #13
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
But by his own admission, Buzzer is not an Irish citizen. His descendants were from Ireland. So, he is still required to have a passport to leave the U.S.A. and need a visa(if he is not an Irish citizen) to enter Ireland. Some countries, if you are Naturalized U.S. citizen and you were born in the country you are visiting, you are not required a visa if you are not staying for more than a year.
Of course if you are an Irish citizen living in Ireland with an Irish passport you still need some kind of visa to enter the U.S. of A...otherwise you're an illegal alien like Elfo, the burro from Acapulco.
If he has an Irish passport then he has Irish Citizenship, though he may not no it. I can almost guarantee that he became an Irish citizen.

There are many countries that are not required to have a visa to enter the US. See the US visa waiver program. See above post from Heddwyn.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #14

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Ireland is part of the 90 day visa program so you don't need a visa, but you are correct that you need to apply for the ESTA.
Just because you're an Irish citizen doesn't mean you are automatically granted ESTA. You need to present proper documents, and goes through all necessary requirements, etc. for security reasons.

"Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is an automated system used to determine the eligibility of visitors to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and whether such travel poses any law enforcement or security risk."
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #15
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
Just because you're an Irish citizen doesn't mean you are automatically granted ESTA. You need to present proper documents, and goes through all necessary requirements, etc. for security reasons.

"Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is an automated system used to determine the eligibility of visitors to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and whether such travel poses any law enforcement or security risk."
Of course, you have to apply. Once approved you are golden. This also applies to other approved countries as well.

Of course our gov't will make decisions for no apparent reason and you could be denied.

I just think that he got Irish citizenship and doesn't know it.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #16

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
If he has an Irish passport then he has Irish Citizenship, though he may not no it. I can almost guarantee that he became an Irish citizen.
How can one have dual citizenships without knowing it? If you are natural born U.S. citizen, you can only have dual citizenships if you apply for it. And order to be granted dual citizenships you need to have the necessary papers or documents required why you should be granted citizenship of the country you're applying for. (E.G. parents or grandparents were from that country or incase of the Philippines you are granted dual citizenship if you were born there and acquired U.S. citizenship through Naturalization.)

Originally Posted by xman
There are many countries that are not required to have a visa to enter the US. See the US visa waiver program. See above post from Heddwyn.
Only if you stay for a short period of time...there's a limit. There are also different types of visa such as: Visitor or tourist visa, Student Visa, Working visa, diplomatic visa, Immigrant visa(a.ka. green card), Fiancee visa...(that is when you petition for someone who is a citizen of another country in order to marry her), just to name a few.
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #17
Contest Statistician

Lets talk golf.

I am getting dizzy.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #18
Administrator

Originally Posted by Devilbike View Post
Hi all from Ireland, I am new here and looking forward to discussing all things Ĺpga!

Kind Regards
Patrick
Welcome to the site Patrick, Go Irish Go. Just got back from South Bend Ind to cheer on the Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team, my favorite team in all sports except for Team Natalie Gulbis. Enjoy the site.
Balabill is offline   Reply With Quote