Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Ji-Yai Shin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #31

This is how it was written up on the LPGA site.....so it must be right...

As she wished, Lorena Ochoa retired from the LPGA as No. 1 in the Rolex Rankings when she signed her card Sunday at the Tres Marias Championship at Tres Marias Golf Club in Morelia, Mexico. Ochoa announced her intention to retire in Mexico City April 23, three years to the day she was named No. 1 in the Rolex Rankings. She also made it clear that this tournament - one she's won three times - would be her last, as she desired to finish her career in her native Mexico.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #32
Forum Moderator

I think the LPGA headline about Jiyai Shin taking over the number 1 ranking does Jiyai a great diservice.

It reads:
"South Korean Jiyai Shin is the top-ranked player in the world according to the Rolex Rankings released today. Shin's ascent to the top of women's professional golf comes just one day after Lorena Ochoa retired from active play on the LPGA Tour as the Rolex Rankings No. 1. Ochoa held the spot for 158 weeks since overtaking Annika Sorenstam on April 23, 2007. "
To an uneducated fan, and most LPGA fans are uneducated, it gives the impression that Jiyai's ascent to number 1 was somehow related to Lorena's retirement or was the result of Lorena's retirement. Obviously, the two were completely unrelated and Jiyai would have earned the number 1 position this week regardless of Lorena's announcement.

The LPGA should have been much more clear about this.

Last edited by Blue; 05-04-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #33

I agree Blue. Shin outplayed Ochoa, that's why she's #1.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #34

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I think the LPGA headline about Jiyai Shin taking over the number 1 ranking does Jiyai a great diservice.

It reads:
"South Korean Jiyai Shin is the top-ranked player in the world according to the Rolex Rankings released today. Shin's ascent to the top of women's professional golf comes just one day after Lorena Ochoa retired from active play on the LPGA Tour as the Rolex Rankings No. 1. Ochoa held the spot for 158 weeks since overtaking Annika Sorenstam on April 23, 2007. "
To an uneducated fan, and most LPGA fans are uneducated, it gives the impression that Jiyai's ascent to number 1 was somehow related to Lorena's retirement or was the result of Lorena's retirement. Obviously, the two were completely unrelated and Jiyai would have earned the number 1 position this week regardless of Lorena's announcement.

The LPGA should have been much more clear about this.
Only to a "nitpicking bullsh!t" people the LPGA headline was a diservice to Jiyai Shin. The headline spoke the truth. Lorena Ochoa retired as No. 1 and the next day...Jiyai Shin took over as No. 1. To an educated or uneducated LPGA fans that's the way it happened! And Shin earned it by outperforming
other top notch lady golfers such as Ai, Yani, Wie, etc.
I don't think Jiyai Shin will complain about it. As LoJo would say...sheeesh!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #35

I don't see any diservice to Shin. I'm a Jiyai fan, but I can't see anything that was written that shows any negative toward her.

As far as most LPGA fans being uneducated, I don't have a clue where that came from, but I'm sue you Googled the resumes for everyone who's ever attended an LPGA event.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #36

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
As far as most LPGA fans being uneducated, I don't have a clue where that came from, but I'm sue you Googled the resumes for everyone who's ever attended an LPGA event.
She keeps track of our FaceBook accounts!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #37
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
I don't see any diservice to Shin. I'm a Jiyai fan, but I can't see anything that was written that shows any negative toward her.

Most LPGA fans have no idea how the Rolex rankings are calculated.

I meant they are uneducated about the LPGA, not about the world at large. Sheesh.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #38

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
She retired on May 2. From the official rankings on May 2nd she was Number 1

As of May 3 Shin is #1.

Rankings are recomputed as of Monday, not Sunday after and LPGA tournament.

The above are indisputable facts.

She retired as #1.
Your way ahead of me again, (as usual), but I made a post elsewhere before I read yours... so no more dupes here. :-)

On the side though.... I think Lorena did the right thing.... let the active players make the noise.

If Lorena ever comes back, (which is a good possibility say in 3 or 4 years from now), it probably well not take her much time to reestablish a high ranking on the R Ratings.

Yet for the odd event she well (maybe) play in, like her own in Mexico..., well that is a wrench into the machinery. Glad I am not doing those calculations. :-)
Old 05-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #39

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Most LPGA fans have no idea how the Rolex rankings are calculated.

I meant they are uneducated about the LPGA, not about the world at large. Sheesh.

So, it's ok for you to nitpick the LPGA's article, but not for someone to nitpick your posts. At least you didn't say they're all ignorant. That's progress. I'm proud of you.