Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Ji-Yai Shin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #11

Nice article, if a bit inaccurate regarding the standing on the money list. I also thought it was a great finish, and a very good win for Jiyai.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #12
Donating Member

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
Yeah...I think they need to check those stats! Also, something bothered me about the article...I know it seems innocuous...but the part about her father buying her a sports car if she finished on top of the money list...maybe it was tongue in cheek...but my experience following Korean, and for that matter Korean American golfers like Wie, is that the dad has a lot of control over what their daughters are allowed to do...Ji Yai is 21 years old and making her own money...if she wants a sports car, it should be up to her to buy it, since her dad is not really "buying it"...he's using the money Ji Yai earned...I realize it's a different culture...but sometimes I worry when parents exert too much control on the Korean players...Ji Yai seems ok...especially since her mother tragically died perhaps she welcomes such a relationship...but I think the pressure might get to some players and I think bad decisions, like about the hire and firing of experienced caddies, are made by some of those parents...
I recall watching the Natalie Gulbis reality show when her father bought her a sports call. Or she bought one for her self possibly. Either way when she went to drive the car she was pretty bad at it. I can't recall why exactly, either it had a stick shift or possibly she did not have hardly any experience driving a car. I wonder about Jiya and some others who might be traveling with parents - do they even have any driving skills? They might have been so focused on golf and so controlled that they lack the skills required for a sports car in particular?

But I agree - if Jiya is winning the money, she buys her own vehicles.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #13

I never thought of that...I hope Ji Yai knows how to drive, especially if she buys a high end sports car...Ferraris, for example, are wonderful cars...but you better be a good driver...

...you know, I love love love seeing all the praise raining down on Ji Yai right now, and this article by Ron Sirak is great...I think Ji Yai could be the next #1...however, I can't help but be cautious...all it takes is Lorena winning Samsung decisively to bring everybody down to earth...

...but for now, I'm drinking the Kool-Aid...

original link: Golf: Sirak: Above The Fray, Jiyai Shin: Golf Digest Magazine

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 09-15-2009 at 11:25 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #14

Another great exiting finish on the LPGA. Congrats to Shin. As for some not appreciating the outcome, as they say: You can lead a horse (or donkey) to water, but you can't make them drink.
doublestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #15

Nice article and comments about one of my favorites, Ji Yai Shin.

But, your comment " (gee...I wonder what that is code for) " is ridiculous. All it shows is what you have in your own heart. I've seen you in other places, and been unfairly treated by you... Gee, I wonder what the code is for that!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #16

Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Nice article and comments about one of my favorites, Ji Yai Shin.

But, your comment " (gee...I wonder what that is code for) " is ridiculous. All it shows is what you have in your own heart. I've seen you in other places, and been unfairly treated by you... Gee, I wonder what the code is for that!
Excuse me, Mr. Charlie, but what exactly are you talking about?

This is a thread that is nearly 3 years old. Where have you been?

What do you mean about BKB's comments being "ridiculous?" Hmmm?
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #17

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post

Agree with all your questions LoJo - I was kind of surprised to see this thread being "current" and what is this "unfairly treated by you" stuff? BKB? Care to elaborate? Oh, and not blaming you, but do you know WTF Charlie is talking about?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #18

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post

If you know what BKB's talking about then you know the whole story. If you don't understand, try again. Ask him.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #19

Originally Posted by Putter View Post
Agree with all your questions LoJo - I was kind of surprised to see this thread being "current" and what is this "unfairly treated by you" stuff? BKB? Care to elaborate? Oh, and not blaming you, but do you know WTF Charlie is talking about?
That's between the fellow and me... if I wanted the people here to know, I'd have been specific. It WAS a post to that fellow.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #20

Where's your outrage at the person I was replying to, the person who was doing the insinuating???

You're embarrassing yourself.
Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
You should be the one embarrassed for lying on your motive in bringing up a 3-year thread.
I am going to respond to this one time and one time only.

First of all, as to my "what is that code for"...in 2009 when I made that comment, I had spent a lot of time over the years reading comments about how Koreans were killing the tour when they would win...but when an American or European won...I didn't hear how Swedes or Norweigans were killing the tour. Not just killing the tour comments, but ugly racist comments. I said the "code" comment to not flat out say racist...I was trying to soften the post. But since you want an explicit translation, there it is. And this is not news. We've had that conversation here many times. You picked a three year old thread so many of those articles have been archived.

...but luckily, I don't delete comments on my YouTube channel, tgr98...unless there is an overwhelming amount of foul language. To illustrate what I...and others...were reading online about Korean players (and other Asian players) at the time, here is a link to a video I posted about the rise of Korean players...the video was posted 6 months prior to Jiyai's win in Arkansas:

Koreans LPGA - YouTube

Check out the racist comments...the comment by tonygettz, you have to click on "show" to see...

...so bottom line, if you are upset I pointed out how people made racist comments about Asian players but not American and European players...and I tried to soften it by saying code...that's your problem, not mine...everybody here understood what I was talking about because it's not some big secret...

...so the point is, I was reacting to racist comments about Asian players (and mostly Korean players)...but I don't like using the word "racist" so I tried to word the passage in a way where it would be understood but not need such sharp language...

...but the bottom line is you were just picking a fight because you are upset over some slight you perceive from another forum...

...since you were not specific...nor did you state what your name was in those forums...I have to guess...the only forum I have any power in is the Michelle Wie Central forum...are you a member I banned? Bottom line, that is not an open discussion forum...it is a fan forum...made for die-hard Wie fans that have been run out of other forums...I made it as a place where people like Boola Boss and bobawiefan can praise Michelle all day and night...if I get complaints from the core group of hardcore members about a poster, they have to go...the Mission Statement on that board is clear, here it is:

Michelle Wie Central - Mission Statement

As an active member of several online boards, I know how heated and catty things can get. I am not one to be against a healthy debate. However, one thing I have noticed is the pleasure some forum members get from insulting or otherwise picking on Michelle Wie and her fans. They disguise it as "the truth" but whether it is true or not, they drill their points over and over and over and over. If "truth" was their goal, just state it once and move on.

Although I have other players such as Grace Park and Se Ri Pak of whom I am a bigger fan, I am a Michelle Wie fan. For her other fans, I wanted to create a forum where posters who engage in constant negativity will be banned. There are other forums, some of which I am a very active member, where we can have at it over Michelle. Not here. This is a Michelle-friendly zone. Furthermore, it is a Michelle fan-friendly zone.

I am only going to say this once. If you join this board and use it only to rip Michelle and spend your time talking about other players, then don't waste your time. You will be banned.

All I am asking is to be considerate of Michelle's fans here. Again, we have other forums to go at it in earnest.

With the criteria that the MWC board is for die-hard Wie fans, does this fit that description:

I hated Bin Laden, Hussein, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Ho and assorted other individuals of that ilk, Fonda and traitors like her, but not Miss Wie. I think she's a joke.
And as soon as you started posting here, you made a bet challenging Wie fans to keep quiet about her based on how she did at Sybase.

Now, I don't care what you write here if you are upset I banned you from the MWC forum. The Mission Statement clearly states there are other forums we can have at it about Michelle...this is one of them. Go for it! I have absolutely no problem with you putting down Michelle or criticizing her here. But I made that other forum for the people who love Michelle and have been run out of myLPGA and other forums due to incessant negative posts about her...hey, that's just the nature of an open forum...so I created a forum for them...and ONLY them...I have long thought about locking the board and making it invitation only, but was talked out of doing that by one of the moderators...

...you are not a die-hard Wie fan, so why care if I banned you, if that is what you are upset about...but I have nothing personal against you or anybody...here's an example...Saint-Just X is a poster for whom I have a TON of respect...but I would not allow him to join the MWC forum...of course, he would never want to...I am simply using him as an example of somebody who is clearly not a die-hard Michelle fan...

IF THAT IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM WITH ME...then you need to be explicit. You said you were addressing me...but you didn't give any specifics...so we all are left asking questions and guessing what you are talking about...and you made the statement in the open and not in a PM, so others jumped in...

I am only addressing this issue because other posters like dangerbob, LoJo and Putter have posted on it and having been on this board for years...I have developed an affinity for the other members here...yes, even the ones I have disagreed with...and I appreciate them speaking up...they know me...in fact, LoJo is one of the moderators on the MWC forum...I have been on myLPGA long enough for the posters here to know me well...very well...so I have nothing to prove to anybody, but this whole back and forth with you and dangerbob was getting out of hand...just move on...it's a great forum here where you can have spirited discussion...again, I have nothing personal against you...if you are a person I banned...it was for the comfort of the die-hard Wie fans, not because I think you are some bad person...if it's something else, then you should just message me and tell me...

...and if you really can't stand me...just set me to ignore...problem solved!

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 05-21-2012 at 03:34 AM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote