Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Ji-Yai Shin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #1

GWAA Player of the Year

Ji Yai with her father

Congratulations to Ji Yai Shin for her win in the Golf Writers Association of America vote for Player of the Year. Although I know some here actually think Anna Nordqvist was a better rookie. I disagree...the size of the field argument is not enough for me to pick Anna...most of the winners this year were names we all would expect to win, save for maybe MJ Hur and Eunjung Yi, for some fans who don't follow all of the Korean players before they hit the LPGA, but there are often Korean players who pop up and win that the average LPGA fan doesn't recognize...but most of the winners, even surprise winners like Catriona were not bottom of a huge field type players...the size of fields really didn't have an effect on final winners to any great extent...and Ji Yai had a scoring average half a stoke better than Anna...I am a fan of Anna's and I think she is going to compete at the top level of the LPGA for a long time...but Ji Yai is a clear ROY choice for me...

I think Ji Yai's wins both here and the JLPGA combined with her money list win and finishing second in scoring make her a good choice for GWAA's vote...but had they voted instead for Lorena...well, that would have been ok, too...I still favor Ji Yai...adding in her JLPGA win...

...what I don't understand is how 11 people voted for Cristie Kerr as best player...I can't make that argument at all...since she trailed Ji Yai in wins, scoring average and the money list...Ochoa, yes, an argument can be made, but Kerr...did those writers just want to vote for an American?

...my feeling is that there are only two choices...Ochoa or Shin...everybody else is out of the discussion...

Woods wins 10th Golf Writes award

By Associated Press
Posted: December 17, 2009

HOUSTON – Tiger Woods was voted male Player of the Year by the Golf Writers Association of America by an overwhelming margin over Steve Stricker on Thursday, with most ballots returned after he became embroiled in a sex scandal.

It was the 10th time Woods has won the award in his 13 years as a pro.

LPGA rookie Jiyai Shin was voted female Player of the Year over Lorena Ochoa, while Loren Roberts won the senior player award.

Woods, forced out for eight months with major knee surgery, returned to win six times on the PGA Tour. He captured the FedEx Cup, along with the Tour money title and the Vardon Trophy for the lowest scoring average.

He received 168 votes (84 percent), while Stricker had 20 votes and PGA champion Y.E. Yang received 13 votes.

Voting for the GWAA awards began three days before news of Woods’ car accident outside his Florida home, the first sign of trouble that led the world’s No. 1 player to eventually admit to infidelity.

Just under half the ballots were cast before the Nov. 27 incident. Balloting closed on Dec. 11, the day Woods announced he was taking an indefinite leave from golf to work on saving his marriage. During the two-week period, the voting trend did not change.

Shin won three times and was the LPGA rookie of the year. She had a chance to win the player of the year until Ochoa beat her by one point in a race that went down to the final round at the LPGA Tour Championship. Shin won the money title and was second in scoring.

She received 105 votes (52 percent) to 85 votes for Ochoa and 11 votes for Cristie Kerr.

Roberts’ three victories included the Senior British Open at Sunningdale, and he won the Champions Tour’s Charles Schwab Cup for the second time in three years. He finished second on the seniors money list behind Bernhard Langer, who won four times. Roberts received 111 votes (55 percent), with Langer getting 78 votes and Fred Funk getting 10 votes.

The players will be honored on April 7 in Augusta, Georgia at the GWAA’s annual awards dinner.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 12-18-2009 at 01:15 AM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #2

...still looking for this on LPGA.com, maybe it will be up later today...or maybe they're dragging because the GWAA contradicted their points race winner...anyway, hopefully Ji Yai will be up later today...a little picture on the Korea Times:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...136_57574.html

---Bruce Lee

Old 12-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #3

this award is why I like the objective Rolex POY points criteria. Either Nordqvist or Wie could have won just as easily as Shin. Both of them have come a long way, so to speak, this year as compared to last.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #4

Originally Posted by cleo View Post
this award is why I like the objective Rolex POY points criteria. Either Nordqvist or Wie could have won just as easily as Shin. Both of them have come a long way, so to speak, this year as compared to last.
Yes...this is true...since Lorena won POY on the points race, I can't really argue against her if she had been voted by the GWAA as POY...

I'm also factoring world wins for Ji Yai...I wonder if any of the writers who voted for her factored that in...

...I know I'm gonna catch heat for this, but I felt Se Ri should have won POY in 1998 as she did from Golf Digest and the AP, even though Annika won POY points race...Annika was more consistent and topped Se Ri in most categories...but here's where I become subjective...Se Ri and Annika tied at 4 wins...but Se Ri won two Majors, the LPGA Championship and the US Open...if it had been one Major I probably would stick with the points leader Annika...but two...half of them, including the biggest event...I can see in that case going against the points leader...

---Bruce Lee

Old 12-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Forum Moderator

I agree with Shin as the winner.

I think Nordqvist was the biggest unexpected surprise on the LPGA Tour but Shin topped the money list and had three wins. I would have been surprised if anyone else got it.

Obviously the top three were Shin, Ochoa and Nordqvist with fourth place probably Na Yeon Choi.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #6

I don't really see how anybody other than Jiyai could have gotten it.