Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Ji-Yai Shin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Forum Moderator

Cut streak over

Is this the start of a sophomore slump, even though she's technically a rookie or just an off tournament?

Jiyai Shin shot a 73 in Round 1 of the SBS Open and is +7 through 13 in Round 2, heading for her first missed cut ever on the LPGA Tour in 18 tournaments dating back to 2006.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #2

i suspect/fear shin will go through a slump this year.....BUT this is not it. i've gotta give her a pass on this one. gale force winds, not nerves or pressure, got her. (although i'm surprised she didn't fare better....she's a great ball striker, and ball strikers always prevail in the winds)

in any case, it's really too bad for her and us. it would have been great fun to see the big rooks fight it out tomorrow. at least there's 3 of the 4 up there.

Last edited by 4putt; 02-14-2009 at 12:24 AM.
4putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #3

Nah, I think she is too good for such a slump. It might take her a few tournaments, but once she gets going, she will be a consistant contender.
paddyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:07 AM   #4
sag

Originally Posted by 4putt View Post
i've gotta give her a pass on this one. gale force winds, not nerves or pressure, got her. (although i'm surprised she didn't fare better....she's a great ball striker, and ball strikers always prevail in the winds)
Her ball striking numbers were fine. 24/28 fairways, 27/36 greens. The problem was a whopping 69 putts--that's abysmal. She'll bounce back though.
sag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #5

Keep this in mind also, she had bad wrists in Australia before coming here, and was in the hospital there between rounds on an Iv drip, (they thought some kind of food poisoning or allergy's - swollen glands of the throat and hands I think).

Even with all that she finished playing her event... this lady is tough and talented, you will see her up there next time.... baring illness and injury.

All streaks are broken sometime or other.... this lady I think though will create new, and maybe unheard of streaks in the future.... watch out Queen Lorna.