http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #2

---Bruce Lee

Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Donating Member

The other day I was playing a hard course (Troy Burne) and was navigating a tough par 5 (peninsula green with water all down the left side of the hole). Good drive between the trap and the water, and a good layup, but with the ball above my feet (there are no flat lies on this hole). I did everything correct; choked up on the club, aimed right, made a good swing and CRUSHED the ball (pull hooking sightly due to the lie). As I was admiring my skills the ball was laser like on the flag, then I realized the flag was about 10 ft from the edge of the water. The ball landed exactly pin high and took one hop into the water....

I forgot to add for the added length that such a hit gets. I thought I had the perfect club for the center of the green, but alas.

Still I was pretty proud of all the things I had done correctly.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Donating Member

We have a hole at my home course where there is a big hill just at my driving distance. So I have to hit my best drive to get down to the lower level of the fairway. And even then I have a slight downhill stance. But if I do not get my best, I am left with a severe downhill - much more than these videos discussed. Just to make the shot more exciting the green is fronted with a pond, so if you fail you are in the water on your second shot. If you manage to clear the pond but have bladed the shot there is a woods just behind the green.

I have only had the guts to even try the downhill shot in the last few years as my game as improved. There is really no place to practice such a shot (I found a driving range that you can sneak into a spot similar, but they do not like me there and it is heavy rough). I took a lesson just on this topic. Then I started trying.

Laying up to the left is an option and I use it on occasion. This happens to also be the most sloped front to back green on the course and from the left you have a bad angle. So it is very hard to 2 putt, the first putt is a huge break and you struggle to leave your first putt so that you can make the second. So laying up and getting on in three risks a 6, and eliminates a 4 entirely (no one makes that first putt).

So if I have this downhill shot I have to consider the match at hand. Is this a team event where my score might not count? Or is this a match play foursome and how does my team stand at this point?

Last two rounds the ball was additionally in the rough and the match was such that I have laid up and managed a 5 with a good two putt each time.

I really wish there were places with a similar slope where the amateur could practice. One of my complaints about seeing a pro give a tip or the IMG academy is that they seem to get courses to themselves. I guess I could go out on a twilight round and hope no one is following me and then spend some more time practicing.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #5

Natalie Gulbis Golf Tip

---Bruce Lee

Old 07-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Donating Member

Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
We have a hole at my home course where there is a big hill just at my driving distance. So I have to hit my best drive to get down to the lower level of the fairway. And even then I have a slight downhill stance. But if I do not get my best, I am left with a severe downhill - much more than these videos discussed. Just to make the shot more exciting the green is fronted with a pond, so if you fail you are in the water on your second shot. If you manage to clear the pond but have bladed the shot there is a woods just behind the green.

I have only had the guts to even try the downhill shot in the last few years as my game as improved. There is really no place to practice such a shot (I found a driving range that you can sneak into a spot similar, but they do not like me there and it is heavy rough). I took a lesson just on this topic. Then I started trying.

Laying up to the left is an option and I use it on occasion. This happens to also be the most sloped front to back green on the course and from the left you have a bad angle. So it is very hard to 2 putt, the first putt is a huge break and you struggle to leave your first putt so that you can make the second. So laying up and getting on in three risks a 6, and eliminates a 4 entirely (no one makes that first putt).

So if I have this downhill shot I have to consider the match at hand. Is this a team event where my score might not count? Or is this a match play foursome and how does my team stand at this point?

Last two rounds the ball was additionally in the rough and the match was such that I have laid up and managed a 5 with a good two putt each time.

I really wish there were places with a similar slope where the amateur could practice. One of my complaints about seeing a pro give a tip or the IMG academy is that they seem to get courses to themselves. I guess I could go out on a twilight round and hope no one is following me and then spend some more time practicing.
After writing this post it dawned on me to play a twilight round, get to this hole and play several dozen shots. This was quite useful.

Also, I put back in my stance. I realized in Natalie's tip the lie is sometimes not only down hill but the ball below my feet. As mentioned in Natalie's tips the ball tends to go left to right, which is already my tendency, so now it fades hard. I need to really aim much further left.

Due to the distance and the fact that the ball flights lower I have limited number of clubs I could even try. 5 iron goes too low, 6 iron just barely clears the fronting timber wall. And 7 iron would not have the length unless I am further down the hill.

And at best about 33% cleared this obstacle. This was useful information to help decide when/where to try.