Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything > Golf Play, Courses, Equipment, and Travel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #1

Should counter-balanced putters be illegal?

According to the USGA, anchored putting is a no no, it will ruin the game of golf, so they decided OK, golf can continue to be ruined for 2 1/2 years and then the repair process can begin when anchored putting is banned in 2016 and in due time golf will become healthy once again.
Wait a minute, USGA, what about these putters? I don't think Bobby Jones (idolized by the USGA) used this kind of putter do you? Anyway, the ban of anchored putting skips over the fact that science has changed putters so much that they have little in common with Calamity Jane.
By the way, I am not sure Bobby is looking at Calamity Jane fondly, he appears to be puzzled.

Then amateur golfer Bobby Jones looks at his famous putter "Calamity Jane" at the Brae Burn Country Club in Newton, Mass, in this Sept. 12, 1928 photo. Jones was voted 47th of the top 100 athletes of the century by a selected panel assembled by The Associated Press.

-------------------------
Counterbalanced putters are suddenly in vogue. What exactly is counterbalancing? Simply put, extra mass is placed in the grip end of the club to counter a heavier head. This weighting technique boosts the club's overall moment of inertia (MOI), so that it swings and feels more stable throughout the stroke. For players who use a conventional putter, the stability of these clubs can mimic an anchored model
Counterbalanced golf putters alternative to anchored putters - GOLF.com
Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by gxer View Post

-------------------------
Counterbalanced putters are suddenly in vogue. What exactly is counterbalancing? Simply put, extra mass is placed in the grip end of the club to counter a heavier head. This weighting technique boosts the club's overall moment of inertia (MOI), so that it swings and feels more stable throughout the stroke. For players who use a conventional putter, the stability of these clubs can mimic an anchored model
Counterbalanced golf putters alternative to anchored putters - GOLF.com
Damn, they took my idea that I mentioned before as a way to do it.

I guess I have to go with the Old Billy Baroo.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote