Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Annika Sorenstam

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

Also, there have been other women in the event.

Event archive at American Century Celebrity Golf Championship at Lake Tahoe - Tournament Archives

I only checked a few years, but found Any Van Dyken in 2004, Janet Gretzky in 2008 and 2009, Brandi Chastain in 2006 and 2007 ...

It's probably fair to say that Annika will be the best golfer, male or female, ever to play the event.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
Forum Moderator

So Annika finished T2. Didn't bother to decipher how this scoring system works. Here's the leader board: American Century Championship Leaderboard

I watched a bit and the announcers kept talking about how nervous she reportedly was. The stakes are higher when you're one of the best players ever in the women's game than when you're some bloated, ass hole, former pro hockey player. Looking at you, Jeremy Roenick.

Last edited by Blue; 07-21-2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: corrected finish position
Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #13

Annika finished T2, not 3rd.

The scoring was a modified Stableford with points awarded for eagle, birdie, par, etc. and minus points for doubles or worse.

Garbage event. I watched a few bits of it during the commercials of the LPGA event.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Annika finished T2, not 3rd.
Shows how closely I was paying attention to this thing.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #15

Annika made some good shots but is still kind of rusty.
fetucinialfokcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
So Annika finished T2. Didn't bother to decipher how this scoring system works. Here's the leader board: American Century Championship Leaderboard

I watched a bit and the announcers kept talking about how nervous she reportedly was. The stakes are higher when you're one of the best players ever in the women's game than when you're some bloated, ass hole, former pro hockey player. Looking at you, Jeremy Roenick.
Jeremy Roenick is a very good golfer (and a great Hockey Player,though not a favorite of mine.). A bunch of those guys are scratch handicap players and very good golfers.

Annika is 6 years retired and is far removed from being at the top of her game.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Jeremy Roenick is a very good golfer (and a great Hockey Player,though not a favorite of mine.). A bunch of those guys are scratch handicap players and very good golfers.

Annika is 6 years retired and is far removed from being at the top of her game.
I don't care how good of a golfer he is. He's still an ass.

But my point is that Annika had good reason to be nervous since she was the best female golfer on the planet for a decade, even if she's been retired for a while. She had a lot more to prove in this event than did the other players who never played professional golf.

Had she stunk up the joint, it would have given credence to the idiots who claim that any male amateur scratch golfer can beat any female pro. No one would have bothered to mention that she retired six years ago.

Last edited by Blue; 07-21-2014 at 07:31 PM.