Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Annika Sorenstam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
Forum Moderator

Annika comments on Suzann at Match Play

Annika Sorenstam comments on ...

Mark Steinberg leaving IMG, Suzann Pettersen's "gamesmanship" at the Sybase Match Play and which she likes better, match play or stroke play.

(audio only right now).

Audio: Morning Drive 5/26/11 - Annika Sorenstam Interview - Golf Video | Golf Channel
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
NTB

Blue,Thanks for posting this. To me what she said about Suzann is right on.
I don't think Suzann was being mean, I could be wrong.

What I enjoyed most and have for a long time now is how a shy little girl
has become the Annika of today. She has such a articulate flow in her
speech.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #3

Interesting comments about both the Steinberg situation and Annika's remarks on Pettersen's "gamesmanship" in the Match Play.

Kinda hard to comment on Tutta's walking off. Not sure how many times she did it, and did Kerr do it too? Let's face it...both of them are intense and prone to a killer instinct attitude, rather than Miss Congeniality etiquette.

I thought it was a bit rude, but...she's a bit rude now and then....as is CK. So, whatever.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
Forum Moderator

I went to Annika's web site to see if there was video yet of the interview. No video, but there was this cute picture of her kids.

Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #5

It wasn't like , for instance, Tiger Woods walking off and his huge gallery following and distracting his playing partner. Now that's gamesmanship.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
Donating Member

Remember when Juli Inkster was DQed for warming up during a round with a weighted doughnut? There was a backlog on a hole and she took out her weight and slipped it on a club and took some practice swings. My buddies (during yesterday's round) asked me about Suzanne's use of a club head cover tucked under her arm during practice swings (to drill her to keep her arm close to her body). Turns out one of these buddies and I use the same pro for lessons, and he has us do this same drill (so far we only do on the practice range).

So now the stage is set. Presumably this is not against the rules as she did this for every fairway shot we saw on TV and was not DQed. It was not even mentioned by the announcers really. But why not?

A club head cover must be different than a swing weight? Natural part of her club set vs the weighted doughnut?

And if this is the case, could she have swung her real swing with a club head cover tucked under her arm? (I have to say when I do this drill and put the head cover there, I cannot make a full swing, so maybe there would be no advantage).
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #7

Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
Remember when Juli Inkster was DQed for warming up during a round with a weighted doughnut? There was a backlog on a hole and she took out her weight and slipped it on a club and took some practice swings. My buddies (during yesterday's round) asked me about Suzanne's use of a club head cover tucked under her arm during practice swings (to drill her to keep her arm close to her body). Turns out one of these buddies and I use the same pro for lessons, and he has us do this same drill (so far we only do on the practice range).

So now the stage is set. Presumably this is not against the rules as she did this for every fairway shot we saw on TV and was not DQed. It was not even mentioned by the announcers really. But why not?
Because it is not a breach of the Rules (specifically Rule 14-3, which was the "Inkster" violation). Why should the announcers mention something that's irrelevant? Though, I figure the LPGA might have gotten a bunch of calls or emails claiming there was some violation with the headcover thing. No violation.

A club head cover must be different than a swing weight? Natural part of her club set vs the weighted doughnut?
A club head cover is not an Artificial Device or Unusual Equipment. Juli's weighted donut is a training aid, specifically mentioned in the Rules as something disallowed. (Dec. 14-3/10)

And if this is the case, could she have swung her real swing with a club head cover tucked under her arm? (I have to say when I do this drill and put the head cover there, I cannot make a full swing, so maybe there would be no advantage).
If you mean by "swung her real swing" to be when she was actually making a stroke at the ball....no. She could not have used the headcover under her arm....at that point it would have become an artificial device assisting her in making a stroke.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
Donating Member

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Because it is not a breach of the Rules (specifically Rule 14-3, which was the "Inkster" violation). Why should the announcers mention something that's irrelevant? Though, I figure the LPGA might have gotten a bunch of calls or emails claiming there was some violation with the headcover thing. No violation.

A club head cover is not an Artificial Device or Unusual Equipment. Juli's weighted donut is a training aid, specifically mentioned in the Rules as something disallowed. (Dec. 14-3/10)

If you mean by "swung her real swing" to be when she was actually making a stroke at the ball....no. She could not have used the headcover under her arm....at that point it would have become an artificial device assisting her in making a stroke.
Good explanations of the issues I raised. Thanks.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote