Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything > PGA, LET, and Men's Tours

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #1

US Open bordering on boring.

Pinehurst number 2 needs to wake up and kick some sand in Martin's eyes or this is going to be a very boring US Open.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #2

The greens shouldn't have been watered,and the speed is way too slow for the men. The greens are too receptive to shots from the hard pan, instead of rolling off the greens, down into the waste areas, shots are staying on the greens.
baggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Contest Statistician

would be a great tournament except for kaymer.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #4

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
would be a great tournament except for kaymer.
Earl Woods always said that to Tiger proof a golf course what had to be done is set it up as easy as possible to give the field a better chance at scoring well. Therefore, since Martin thinks he is Tiger this week, the USGA might have to not only add water to the greens but choose the easiest pin locations possible plus move up the tees several hundred yards.
How about using the ladies tees for the weekend, that should do it?
Old 06-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #5

It rained last night......if they put too much spin...off the green the ball goes. I was there.... Everbody is loving the course....Pinehurst has done a great job.
Boneyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
Contest Statistician

Friday night it did not rain, so lets see what that does. They will probably lengthen the course today and use some tough positions.

Frankly the change to no rough is the difference. Forget about Kaymer, there are too many people above par right now.The scrub was not that penal. Unless they give them killer positions and play the tips the course will lose. Hopefully the greens without water will toughen up.

To me this is not a model to follow. Scrub and natural areas are fine if part of the natural landscape. Hey desert courses you can't help it. Watching from TV there are too many areas that look brown but are prime playable areas.

I will give you an example. There is a local muni course that I play that that had basically only center line sprinklers. It was a nice layout and not long. It had narrow fairways. Off the fairways did not get enough water if any. What would be the rough, though they never let it grow long, would become burnt out in the summer. So if you were of the fairway, either slightly or by a wide margin you were on hard pan, burn tout grass, or dirt. But basically it ended up as cement like hard pan. Bottom line was that people would not want to play it latter in the summer.

The game is expensive enough. We are paying a lot of money. We are not paying to play on crap all day long. They put in a new irrigation system and the course is now playable off the fairway. One of the differences is that you could probably put the fairway and what is considered the rough of this course inside the fairway of most desert courses or coures's with wide fairways.

On basic course's people will not put up with browned out conditions and dead conditions. You can only do this on pre designed course for these conditions.

They need to do other things to save water. I know in certain parts of Florida they are now requiring the use of reclaimed water. Water that is not good enough to drink. Also include systems to capture rain water.

Bottom line is that brown course' will put off people, not good in a sport that they say is losing people.

Last edited by xman5; 06-14-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
Contest Statistician

OK different topic. I don't understand all this talk about Phil coming into this event in the first 2 days. He had been playing like crap. His putting is dreadful. I can't think that anyone really though that he had any real chance. He is also far from a youngster.

Too much hype machine working.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #8

Ai Miyazato's brother finished 81/81 in the open. He is at the very bottom.
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Ai Miyazato's brother finished 81/81 in the open. He is at the very bottom.
I think his name is Kiyoshi. I only caught a glimpse of him on TV, but I mentioned it to Spouse. Spouse asked if they looked alike, and I said I didn't see a closeup of him, but they walked alike. That's how you an tell if you're watching too much women's golf!
Ricearoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #10

How did they walk like, Ricearoni? Like an Egyptian?

"If you want to find all the cops
They're hanging out in the donut shop.
They sing and dance
Spin the clubs cruise down the block.

All the Japanese with their yen
The party boys call the Kremlin
And the Chinese know
They walk the line like Egyptian.

All the cops in the donut shop say:
Walk like an Egyptian
Walk like an Egyptian."
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"