Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything > PGA, LET, and Men's Tours

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2015, 07:55 AM   #1

US Open

I just want to sleep all day and wake up for the tournament tomorrow. So stoked.

LLLLet's Golf!: Previewing And Predicting The 2015 US Open
Centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Forum Moderator

I'm as excited as you are.

My picks, using your format:

Contenders:
Rickie Fowler ... Proven that he can contend at any major.
Jordan Spieth ... Man of the moment, supremely confident, and local knowledge won't hurt.
Phil Mickelson ... Sentimental pick, but looking like he's in his best shape in years. There's something to be said for wanting it. His comments from yesterday that when he thinks of the US Open all he thinks about is disappointment may not bode well, however.

Dark Horse:
Ernie Els ... not performing terribly well this year, but has yet to meet a US Open course that fazes him. Nine top 10s, including two wins in last 15 Open Championships so this course might suit him. Question will be his physical stamina on the toughest walking course we've seen in years, maybe ever.

Winner:
Ricky Fowler

Other notables:

Dustin Johnson will MC or barely make the cut. His super long driving won't be much of an advantage here and this is a thinking man's course. DJ is not a thinking man.

Tiger Woods is a huge question mark. Let's say a 20-ish place for him.

Bubba Watson will hit a shot into waist high fescue on Thursday, throw his club into Puget Sound, say "f*ck this" and walk off the course.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Contest Statistician

Gotta go with Speith.

I don't think the course will be as difficult as they make it out to be. Ok big strange greens, but these guys will eat up the wide fairways.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #4

My favourite tournament of the year.

I could only get 25/1 on Hideki Matsuyama.I think he'll go really close,so do a lot of other people ;which probably means he'll finish in a tie for 43rd and not be a factor at all.

I was more than happy to get 90/1 on Byeong-Hun An : superb ball striker and recently won the European Tour's flagship event,the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth.He could easily run into a place here.

I got 80s on Kevin Na.With his history of yips,you don't want him to be leading going into the final round,but he's a very consistent player and could find himself in the top ten when it's all said and done.

I got 100/1 on Francesco Molinari.He's playing well,but whether his relative lack of distance off the tee hinders him remains to be seen.

Of the Yanks,I took Gary Woodland - soon enough those Butch Harmon lessons will pay off in a big way - and the fifth best player in the world,Patrick Reed.

As a real longshot,I like Danny Willett.As he was 125/1,I guess not too many other people share that sentiment.

Lefty would be the sentimental choice ;Jordan Spieth for those who have dreams of seeing a Grand Slam.

Obviously,I hope Tiger Woods misses the cut. Unfortunately,as there's no water in play (unless you're really,really off line) and no trees to get lost in,he'll probably scramble through to the weekend.

As for the course,I hope it plays as tough as possible and 3 over wins the title.

Best four days in the golfing calendar...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 06-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post

As for the course,I hope it plays as tough as possible and 3 over wins the title.
Yes, yes, yes! I hate majors where twenty under is pushed. I want to see these guys have to bounce back from bogeys, not pars.

Unfortunately, I can't get any sense as to where the winning score is - some are saying it will be quite easy and someone will break ten under, and others are saying it will be really difficult and play to ten over.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
Yes, yes, yes! I hate majors where twenty under is pushed. I want to see these guys have to bounce back from bogeys, not pars.

Unfortunately, I can't get any sense as to where the winning score is - some are saying it will be quite easy and someone will break ten under, and others are saying it will be really difficult and play to ten over.
There are so many different ways that Chambers Bay can be set up,the USGA are in a position where they can make sure it doesn't get out of hand one way or the other.

I'd expect a gentle initiation for the players in the opening round (although 'gentle' is relative where the US Open is comcerned),but with the prospect of a tough weekend if the scoring is a bit on the low side...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 06-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #7
Forum Moderator

Also ...

winning score -4
low round 65
margin of victory 1 stroke

I think some guys will thrive on this course and others will be completely confounded by it. We won't see double digits under par for the tournament as some are saying, but I'm going with a little under par for the win.

Last edited by Blue; 06-17-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #8

If someone gets to -10 before Friday, you can bet the USGA will do all they can to beef up the toughness on the weekend. I just hope it doesn't get to that. I want one or two under to be a good score every day. Make it consistent. I don't want to see a scoring average of 67 one day and 75 the next.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #9
Forum Moderator

I was wrong about Dustin Johnson, for now, but close on Bubba. But predicting an outburst from Bubba is kind of a gimme. DJ still has time to be a bonehead.

Last edited by Blue; 06-18-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #10
Forum Moderator

And Sergio Garcia has joined the whiners brigade. This from Twitter:

Sergio Garcia
@TheSergioGarcia
I think a championship of the caliber of @usopengolf deserves better quality green surfaces that we have this week but maybe I'm wrong!

6:14pm · 18 Jun 2015 · Twitter for iPhone