Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 03:07 PM   #1

world cup question??

Hi ya everybody...one question....how do they match up players and teams during the last day stroke play competition....do they give an advantage to who ever is leading to play whoever is on the bottom....or do they make the top two play against each other....if they do it this way, I think it is rather unfair for the 3rd and 4th place people as they are trailing some team that is already ahead of them that will be assured of getting points

how does this work....just curious.....anyway...have a great day...see ya
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #2

huh?

The World Cup isn't match play, it's based on cumulative stroke play scoring for all 3 days. The first day is better ball, the second day is alternate shot and the third day is individual stroke play. I think the pairings are done randomly for day one, the based on score for days two and three. So, on the last day, the two top teams will be in the final pairing (just like any other tournament).

Just to illustrate, let's say Sweden shoots 65 in better ball, 68 in alternate shot, and on Sunday Annika shoots 68 and Lotta shoots 67. Sweden's cumulative score is 65-68-68-67 (268). If the US shoots 64 in better ball, 69 in alternate shot, and a 68-68 in individual scores by Natalie and Paula, the U.S. would score 64-69-68-68 (269) and would lose to Sweden by one stroke.

I have no idea what you are asking with regards to pairings being unfair to the 3rd and 4th place team.
esp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #3

Hi ya esp...sorry my bad....I was thinking it was sort of like Matchplay....thanks for straightening my confused brain....see ya....now this makes this tournament more and more interesting...see ya!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:06 PM   #4

esp.....I like your example :lol:
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote