Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
bangkokbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,519


pictures and a few videos on my blog: Se Ri Pak Inspiring More Than Just Korean Golfers; Caroline Masson Leads After 2nd Round Of Ricoh Women’s British Open Fairways And Forehands

Ok, sorry about this entry...I generally tend to just write about what happened in a round...but given how Se Ri played, this entry turned into a Se Ri love fest...but still nice pictures and videos...

...oh SJX...I am truly ecstatic and depressed...Se Ri plays like a champ...Florentyna and Grace miss the cut...
__________________
Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Nice article by Alistair Tait of Golfweek about Se Ri.... and some good comments and observations about M. Wie as it relates to Se Ri's new philosophy about golf and life.

Pak still has game and wisdom to succeed
Good article. It was a scene like this one described in the article:
Witnessing Wie’s practice routine after Round 1 was depressing. Despite teeing off at 7:14 a.m., she was still on the putting green at 6:30 p.m. Parents B.J. and Bo were orchestrating the practice session as Wie tried hard to master the belly putter.



They were the ones pointing to holes she should putt to. Bo would stand behind Wie as she putted, while father B.J. would crouch down behind the hole, the better to watch the putting stroke.


And anyone who thought Wie was keen to be on the practice green might have been disappointed. It was one of the most joyless practice sessions this journalist has ever witnessed.
Wie left the putting green just after 6:30 p.m., but she wasn’t headed for her hotel room and some much-needed rest. Her parents escorted her to the driving range to stand over her as she hit balls.


Wie cut a lonely figure as the only player on the range firing balls into the twilight.
that turned me against Michelle Wie's parents. I saw it at the USWO in 2004. She was 14 then. She looked so unhappy. It's rather sad that this is still happening when she's 21.

At the 2011 USWO, I saw the same thing with Lexi Thompson. Hours and hours on the putting green and practice green long after everyone else had left. They weren't orchestrating things as much as the Wies do. They had an instructor do that. But the utter lack of joy with Lexi was exactly the same.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #13
Elf
Senior Member
 
Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 3,197
Send a message via MSN to Elf
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Witnessing Wie’s practice routine after Round 1 was depressing. Despite teeing off at 7:14 a.m., she was still on the putting green at 6:30 p.m. Parents B.J. and Bo were orchestrating the practice session as Wie tried hard to master the belly putter.
They were the ones pointing to holes she should putt to. Bo would stand behind Wie as she putted, while father B.J. would crouch down behind the hole, the better to watch the putting stroke.
And anyone who thought Wie was keen to be on the practice green might have been disappointed. It was one of the most joyless practice sessions this journalist has ever witnessed.
Wie left the putting green just after 6:30 p.m., but she wasn’t headed for her hotel room and some much-needed rest. Her parents escorted her to the driving range to stand over her as she hit balls.
Wie cut a lonely figure as the only player on the range firing balls into the twilight.
that turned me against Michelle Wie's parents. I saw it at the USWO in 2004. She was 14 then. She looked so unhappy. It's rather sad that this is still happening when she's 21.

At the 2011 USWO, I saw the same thing with Lexi Thompson. Hours and hours on the putting green and practice green long after everyone else had left. They weren't orchestrating things as much as the Wies do. They had an instructor do that. But the utter lack of joy with Lexi was exactly the same.
Welcome to the world of athletes. Wie and Lexi are not exceptions, thousand of women and men in many sports and in many countries do the same. Every where in the world you can see them start work outs at 5:30 AM and with necessary rest periods finish their day around 11:00 PM. Some times parents do not only help with economics, but participate in the training. Some will see the family effort, such as Wie in a windfall, others will only see their dreams shattered by terrible injuries and even death and/or bankruptcy. Success is limited to the elite, misery is the end result to thousands. The Wies and the Thompsons have to be admired for their fierce determination. Joy will only come when you lift the trophy (and hopefully take a big check home), but even then the sacrifices may be greater than the rewards.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #14
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
Welcome to the world of athletes. Wie and Lexi are not exceptions, thousand of women and men in many sports and in many countries do the same. Every where in the world you can see them start work outs at 5:30 AM and with necessary rest periods finish their day around 11:00 PM. Some times parents do not only help with economics, but participate in the training. Some will see the family effort, such as Wie in a windfall, others will only see their dreams shattered by terrible injuries and even death and/or bankruptcy. Success is limited to the elite, misery is the end result to thousands. The Wies and the Thompsons have to be admired for their fierce determination. Joy will only come when you lift the trophy (and hopefully take a big check home), but even then the sacrifices may be greater than the rewards.
I don't think thousands of women and men, make that boys and girls, are out there as professionals at age 14, 15, 16 having their parents order them around for hours and hours and steal their joy and their childhood. not to mention their money.

I don't at all admire the Thompsons for what amounts to child abuse. They have no income other that what they get from Lexi, it appears. This type of thing should be regulated in the same way it was regulated after similar abuse was found among child actors in Hollywood. Work hours were limited and strictly regulated. Money earned had to be kept in trust under the child actors were adults. These same rules should be applied to child athletes.

The Wies and now different. The abuse certainly happened when Michelle was a child. They are all adults now. It's up to Michelle to change things if she wants to change. As nearly everyone who has observed her sees, she does not seem happy when she's playing golf even when she is playing well.

Last edited by Blue; 07-30-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
bangkokbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,519
Golfweek article: Where is the fan love at Women's British?

Valid points or just more kicking women's golf while it's down? Both? Neither?

Would anybody be upset if the Women's British Open were dropped as a Major back down to a regular tour event? I've heard that suggested as well vis-à-vis demoting the Kraft Nabisco Championship...
__________________
Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Three words: No Scottish golfers.

OK maybe there's one, or two. Still, barely enough players representing England and Scotland to get a poker game together.

Face it, people like to root for their home girls. That's why the British Open never attracts fans, not just this year. Until they have a full quorum of players to get behind, the fans will never have a reason to come out and cheer.

The writer makes some semi-valid points about Inbee Park being the most boring player in all of women's golf, or whatever he said, because she is. However, one sleepwalking player isn't keeping the fans away. Nor are players that don't smile and blow kisses on their way down the fairway. There are plenty of other tournaments in the US and in Asia that have no trouble attracting fans who appreciate that players are focused on playing their game and not competing for Miss Congeniality.

Finally, the good folks at Evian should take note. The Evian Masters has never exactly attracted a sell-out crowd either. Its one (?) grandstand hardly ever seems to be more than 1/4 full. The fans that do come seem to be happy tourists already in Evian les Bains who just stumble on the golf tournament that happened to stop by. Is this enough to support their new longer course, I mean their new amphitheater on the last three holes? We'll see.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Putter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,571
Ditch the British and bring it back to Canada. No, really.
__________________
Putter
Putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #18
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
As for dropping the British as a major, I'm all for it.

I think I suggested this two weeks ago during the Evian major announcement and pointed out the non-existent attendance as one reason.

So here's what I'd propose for LPGA majors.

1. Keep Kraft but move it to the second weekend in April, right after the Masters.

2. Move the LPGA Championship to the first weekend in August. And rotate it among courses. The idea to rotate it among the top courses in Rochester is completely stupid. It sounds like Mike Whan is catering to Wegman's again. I would hope he could string Wegmans along on short-term contracts while he's trying to get a national-name sponsor that would like to see their name attached to a tournament that's played at big markets around the country. Yes, this is expensive, but it's the best thing the LPGA can do to grow its exposure.

3. Make the LPGA Championship a quaiifying tournament for the British Open which will now be a limited field event played on the same rotating courses as The Open Championsihp. The field can maybe limited to top finishers on the previous three LPGA majors, top LET money list finishers and maybe top Rolex ranked players. But keep the field to, say, 70 and most importantly don't water down the courses. Keep them the way they're meant to be played.

4. Then I guess we're stuck with the Evian in September as the final major. Let's hope it attracts more fans than it does now and that the promise for a redesigned course and stricture qualifying will put more teeth in the tournament in addition to the luxury and high purse that the players love so much.

I'm not opposed to major sometime down the road in Asia but not until there can be live television coverage to the US and suitable courses.

And obviously, one thing the LPGA is going to have to investigate especially leading up to the Olympics in 2016 is the idea of co-ed tournaments. The USGA is getting its feet wet with the back-to-back US Open and US Women's Open at Pinenhurst in 2014 and they had the Publinx and the WAOL at the same courses simultaneously this year. This is by far the best way to attract new fans.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
cleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 1,615
Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
Golfweek article: Where is the fan love at Women's British?

Valid points or just more kicking women's golf while it's down? Both? Neither?

Would anybody be upset if the Women's British Open were dropped as a Major back down to a regular tour event? I've heard that suggested as well vis-à-vis demoting the Kraft Nabisco Championship...
as 1 PGA pro I know told me after the Womens US Open at Oakmont last year, "everybody was following Paula Creamer". There must not be any men in Scotland.
__________________
"There's no use arguing with a fool. He only rages and scoffs, and tempers flare."
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,118
Originally Posted by Putter View Post
Ditch the British and bring it back to Canada. No, really.
I don't think so! Four majors all on North American soil would not be good for the game.

While a lot of the Scottish courses are great courses, they are probably not the best to attract the average person to watch. I've been in the far north west of England this week, from outside I can see Scotland about 5 miles over the Solway Firth, however, I did not want to drive another 200+ miles in some 4 hours to go to the Open. I was busy anyway and didn't have the time, but Carnoustie is a long way north for a weekend visit. People heading to that area on vacation are not necessarily going for the golf, so not surprising they can't attract a gallery.

The shame of this week is they tricked up the course and took out the challenges which should have been there.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2 PL2

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!