Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:26 PM   #1

Is tIs The British Womens Open sponsership in trouble

I read somewhere awhile back that Weetabix may not continnue their sponsership of the Womens British Open. Is there an update on this. For a major The Women's British has been the weak finanical link of the four. If Weetabix bows out are other sponsers with deeper pockets ready to step forward with more style and cash like the Evian Masters. I think as golf fans we all anticipate these great players on British link courses...and in the world of Womens golf you'd think somebody major would want their brand name in front of The Womens British Open... and I'm not knocking Weetabix...but IN or OUT

Last edited by Femfan; 07-29-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Femfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:49 AM   #2

I am sure the British Open will always be there, even if they have to change sponsors. It is conveniently place after the French Open, and easy for the players to go next to....and then on to the Canadian Open and back in to the States tour.

Simialar things were said about the Canadian Open, yet it is still there and strong. But saying all that....one never knows in this world of many changes/ings.

I would hate to see it go because of a loss of a sponsor....it is too good, and would be a great womens golf loss if it happened.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:58 AM   #3

It's covered live ( has to share the spot with bloody horseracing ) by the BBC so one would have thought it would be one of the more attractive events. However Ladies golf in Europe is very low-key compared to the LPGA - the LET doesn't have anything like a full schedule and there are no blonde teenagers bending over in short skirts to pull the crowds....nobody here has heard of Paula Creamer or Natalie Gulbis, a few of the better-informed will have heard of Michelle perhaps. Annika and Laura are the poster ladies here if anyone is and they play in the US !

David
Davidy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:13 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Davidy48
It's covered live ( has to share the spot with bloody horseracing ) by the BBC so one would have thought it would be one of the more attractive events. However Ladies golf in Europe is very low-key compared to the LPGA - the LET doesn't have anything like a full schedule and there are no blonde teenagers bending over in short skirts to pull the crowds....nobody here has heard of Paula Creamer or Natalie Gulbis, a few of the better-informed will have heard of Michelle perhaps. Annika and Laura are the poster ladies here if anyone is and they play in the US !
David
True....yet a matter of money could change all that, as across the channel has. And it should improve all the LPGA tour events if $$ increase....getting closer to the PGA events payouts.

I think that will happen fairly soon, (two or three years), and sponsors will shell out more, as the LPGA grows in popularity. Players like Michelle Wie and it's many young guns are bringing in a raw awarness of a new type of audience....MEN!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:16 AM   #5

If anything can bring life into the Weetabix Women's British Open.........then it's next year's venue.........none other than the World Famous ST. ANDREWS!..........can you imagine how thrilled Michelle.....and the LPGA members.......will be to play on this course where they have seen so many BIG tournaments throughout the years?..........What a great tournament for us to even see on TV.........but like this year.......we will probably get it on tape........and then ONLY an hour and a half on Sat. and Sun........I am going to have my SIL tape the whole thing for me in Ireland on BBC.......and then send me the tape..........

Last edited by Boola Boss; 08-01-2006 at 01:18 AM.
Boola Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:36 AM   #6

Another problem for the LET is the relatively low standard of play in its tournaments. Most of the best Europeans are based in the US fulltime because of the higher prizemoney and the younger LET players all want to join them, so there's a constant drain of talent.

If you look at the scoring on the LET, tournaments are often won with -6 and the cut often falls around +4 - I've seen +8 occasionally too. Crowds are pitiful. Bogey golf is not a very attractive proposition for sponsors - and I speak as a supporter who takes a week off work every year to work as a volunteer at the Dutch Ladies Open ! No matter how attractive the ladies are if they can't play well too no-one's going to turn up.

David
Davidy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:06 AM   #7
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Boola Boss
If anything can bring life into the Weetabix Women's British Open.........then it's next year's venue.........none other than the World Famous ST. ANDREWS!..
I haven't said this in a whle, but I agree with you Boola Boss. That'll be great.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:27 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to AndersN
Well Royal Lytham & St. Annes is a BO course to. I think the intention is to have the womens BO on the same courses the mens are. The holy nine :)

Royal St George's (Sandwich)
Royal Liverpool (Hoylake)
Royal Lytham and St Annes
Royal Birkdale
St Andrews (Old Course)
Royal Troon Golf Club
Muirfield
Turnberry (Ailsa Course)
Carnoustie