Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #71

Originally Posted by MarinePaul
I'd much rather watch LPGA MEMBERS play than a "potentially" great player.
Yikes!! Really? Like you'd much rather watch Ashley Bunch or Miriam Nagl? I'm gonna guess you couldn't pick either one of 'em out in a line up.

OK, guys...let's hang on here.

It's not a matter of "earning" anything. What we're all debating is whether the LPGA is right in granting various waivers or changes of the Rules to allow players in who are not otherwise qualified.

In Wie's case, that is because she isn't a member of the LPGA and must rely on sponsors' exemptions. In Morgan's case, it's because she's a rookie and not otherwise qualified for certain events unless given an inclusion.

Can anyone honestly say that including these two talented teenagers is "bad" for the LPGA? C'mon! It's good in terms of viewership and fan support and because they both have done extremely well in previous LPGA events...regardless of whether they were members of the Tour. (Obviously, they weren't because both were Ams at the time)

MP...what is a "true fan" in your opinion? I have followed the LPGA Tour (and the PGA Tour) for many decades and consider myself a "true fan" of the game of golf. You said:

She's NOT, and I repeat NOT the only golfer that true fans want to watch.

Well....er...I wanna watch her. Yeah, she's not the ONLY one I wanna watch, but to claim fans of other golfers, or the LPGA, or of golf in general don't want to see how Wie does is just crazy. She finished in the top 10 in 50% of the few tourneys she was allowed to play last year. Hello? Look at her record in the majors such as Nabisco or the LPGA Championship. Should we not want to watch that sort of great play just because she received an exemption or because she's "not a member of the LPGA?" Other players in those events weren't members of the LPGA either.

Also, how is allowing her or Morgan into a tournament "to the detriment" of others? I betcha if you took a poll of current LPGA players, they'd probably gripe about all the hype these kids such as Creamer (deservedl), Wie and Pressel are getting, but they know in their hearts that this is GOOD for the LPGA and for their own purses. I'd guess none of them see it as a "detriment" to the tour.

Just as there was a big negative when Tiger came out on tour with his brash predictions about how he was gonna do this and that, there is that same sort of thing happening on the LPGA right now.

I'll admit that I was very skeptical about Tiger. I wasn't exactly a Tiger "basher" but I sure wasn't a fan. He'd signed a $40mil deal w/ Nike before he'd even hit his first shot as a pro. Some thought he was a flash in the pan. All hat, no cows. How wrong we were. We should have listened to Nicklaus, Palmer, et al who predicted he'd win more majors than all of them combined. He's certainly on his way to doing that, and I believe the "predictions" about Michelle Wie will eventually come true also. She's that talented.

Paula Creamer talked the talk this past season and she walked the walk!! Next one will be Pressel...she's already served notice as to what she's hoping to do. We'll have to wait a little bit for Wie because she won't be able to play a full schedule for a while. This is an EXCITING time for the LPGA!

Why any fan of Women's golf would be pissed about having Wie as part of that exciting future is just beyond me.

Annika, Paula, Cristie, Lorena, Natalie, Morgan, Michelle, Ai, JRo, Xtina, et al...what more do you want...regardless of "rules" and exemptions, etc. and regardless of whether they are your personal favorites?

Get over it. Enjoy the ride.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:27 PM   #72

Hi ya marinepaul....you said "I'd much rather watch LPGA MEMBERS play than a "potentially" great player."....I can see where there are viewers that want the same thing....but the bottom line is that the TV stations will show "WHAT THEY THINK THEY VIEWERS would tune in for"....it would be great if the TV stations all thought like you do....BUT they do not....they like to focus on controversial stuff and "name" players.....do you blame them for doing so....if you were in their position and you needed TV ratings to please your Boss....would you focus your attention on all of the LPGA members playing that day or would you be focusing on the players that people have heard of and are curious about.....would you be giving EQUAL coverage time for everyone....let's say the TV time is for 2 hours for the first round....that is 120 minutes with commercials....with 144 players in the field....would you give each LPGA MEMBER at least a 30 second shot....you cannot focus on the leaders because everyone is a potential leader as they tee off....and what about the non-LPGA players....not show them at all because of non-membership

what I am saying in a nutshell is that coverage....ANY coverage....and for whatever reason the TV stations might have is BETTER than none at all or one that could maybe lose some people's interest.....here is whgere I come from....this is a big Circus.....Michelle and Annika draws the crowds into the tent to see their performance....there are other acts going on and some of them are actually more exciting than these two attention grabbers....so what does the audience do...they watch Michelle and Annika do their thing with ONE eye and keep their other eye on the other acts....this is how eventually the other acts start getting some recognition

if you remember Paula's interview about Michelle...even Paula said that Michelle brings recognition to the LPGA and this is good for the LPGA....people now have three eyes with one on Paula....if this progression keeps up....the audience will eventually wish they were like flies, with a thousand eyes.....and think this....other player's fan base will grow and maybe this will eventually help this site bring in more different posters to talk about their favorites

you may think my theory about this is incorrect, but there are a lot of players and LPGA people that understand this domino type of effect that just may or may not happen....but is won't happen if "no one brings in the fresh faces and the crowd"

anyway....have a great day....see ya!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #73

Other than posters here, how many people know that there were several first time winners on the LPGA last year? Or, how many know that Paula was rookie of the year? The point is, when there's a two hour telecast, and three- quarters of that time is devoted to one player, it certainly isn't good for the LPGA as a whole.

I'm as big a Pressel fan as there is, but she should get no more breaks than In- Bee. Personally, I look forward to seeing Ai, too, but how much coverage do you think she'll actually get?

People basically know Annika,because she's Annika, Gulbis, because of her calendar, and Wie, because of the hype. Most can't name five other LPGA players.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:04 PM   #74

Hi ya marinepaul....I know what you are trying to convey....but if you think about all of the past LPGA telecasts....by the time tv comes on Saturday or sunday....the Leaders are somewhere on #10 or so....these are the ones that get the BULK of the telecast....if MW gets 3/4 of the time then she must be one of those in contention....if she is just playing so-so....the station will just show her finishing up her round or ending shots of certain holes...that's it....they will however show a short segment of what her day was like....but that is it....your 3/4th guesstimate is exaggerated a little....and if you want to discuss Thursday and Friday rounds....when she plays in the morning session....all they show is the short segment of her day....on the day that she plays in the afternoon....they will show from whatever hole she is on.....they also show a whole lot of the other players too because the cameras cannot stay on MW for the entire telecast....I have never seen her dig her nose or scratch her butt or spit on the ground....so I imagine that the cameras were somewhere else showing the other players.....try and think back on the last LPGA telecast that you saw with Michelle in it....was it 3/4s of the telecast.....was Annika there?.....now if Annika is there, are you meaning that 3/4ths of the time was focused on these two....if so, then Annika is the "hog-cheese" one.....Annika is always in contention so they always show her....is this incorrect on the TV people....NOPE!!....Annika always gets the "preferred TV starting time".....is this incorrect by the tournament....NOPE.....MW does sometimes gets close to the "preferred TV starting time"....is this correct by the tournament....both a "yes and No" from me....yes because the Tournament is hand in hand with the TV stations.....YES for the players that are in Michelle's group....no because of the "fairness to the weather portion for these players"....but this can work both ways....if MW wasn't on the TV Preferred time....maybe the weather conditions would be better....or it could be worse....either way it is a guess

so in a nutshell.....I think your 3/4ths time is slightly off and I think the coverages of the LPGA as a whole is ok.....I am looking at it from a TV station point of view

anyway....have a good day....see ya!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:14 PM   #75

I see. Saying 3/4 is an exaggeration, but your saying Wie is a "dominant" player is gospel. To quote my favorite young player, "Whatever."
Old 01-16-2006, 07:43 PM   #76

Saying 3/4 is an exaggeration, but your saying Wie is a "dominant" player is gospel. To quote my favorite young player, "Whatever."

chuckle...chuckle :lol:
Old 01-16-2006, 08:44 PM   #77

Let's see, Michelle Wie gets to play in only six LPGA events a year out of somewhere around 30 but she's on ALL THE TIME. How does that work???

~~
8)

By the way, great post LoJo
None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:23 PM   #78

It works the same way that playing in only six LPGA tournaments a year, that's all most of these clowns can discuss. This is my last post for a while. I'm going to go ti the "Wie free" zone and talk about, of all things, the LPGA.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:52 PM   #79

Originally Posted by MarinePaul
I'm going to go ti the "Wie free" zone and talk about, of all things, the LPGA.
Yeah....MP....go talk about Ashley Bunch, et al. Wow.

Besides the upcoming World Cup of Golf...what IS there to talk about the LPGA right now apart from these young kids getting exemptions, etc? I don't see a lot of activity in other folders. If you think there's stuff to discuss, why don't you bring it up?

At least this exemption news and Wie's playing in the Sony has kept women's golf in the national golf headlines lately.

You seem to have an issue distinguishing between women's golf and LPGA golf. Wie isn't a member of the LPGA, therefore she doesn't merit mentioning despite her prominence in women's golf? If Pressel hadn't gotten the LPGA membership waiver, I guess she'd be persona non grata too, huh?
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote