Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #1

Cristie Kerr Will Play "The Ultimate Game"

What do you guys think of this event? They don't allow the best of the men to compete but any LPGA tour player can enter. Does that mean that LPGA tour players are considered to be below the skill level of all the other stipulated men's tours, including the Champions and the Asian tour?

By the way, Tadd Fujikawa would not be eligible for this event even though he has not make a cut as a professional but he has or will have played in more than five Major Tour events after March 3, 2007.

Ps: I wonder? Will Dizzy Izzy enter this event?

-------------------------
http://www.waggleroom.com/story/2007/11/26/162121/79

The Ultimate Game at the PGA West Stadium Course is open to all players, amateur or professional, men or women, of any age except:

a. Players who have had fully exempt status on the PGA Tour, the Nationwide Tour, the Champions Tour, the European Tour, the European Challenge Tour, the Japan Tour, or the Asian Tour ("Major Tours") at any time after March 3, 2002;
b. Players who have played in more than five Major Tour events at any time after March 3, 2007; and
c. Players who have ever won a Major Tour event.

Last edited by gxer; 11-27-2007 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added Dizzy Izzy question
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Contest Statistician

Yes.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #3

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Yes.
Do you think Cristie is making a mistake by entering this "best need not apply" event?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
DHG

Perhaps her entering is some kind of nod to a Sponsor or favor to a friend. Does she have some affiliation with the La Quinta people? Or maybe her playing partner thinks it will be good publicity for him and called in a favor. Not sure that this is exactly earth-shattering news however you chose to look at it.
DHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
Contest Statistician

No. Her winning or losing is not that important in the big picture of men playing with women and who can compete and reputation etc...... argument that you have.

For her to be competative her partner has to be competative. I am sure she would like to win the money but from reading the article it seems it is more out of friendship with her long time coach that they are playing together. So it is most likely for fun and friendship and if the get lucky some cash.

Do not think that the competition is weak just because Touring pros are excluded. There are some very good teaching pros out there that have game but for what ever reason, age, family etc perfer that lifestyle.

Whether they finish first or last I do no think that it will have any effect as to how the LPGA or womens golf is viewed.

Last edited by xman5; 11-27-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #6

Whether they finish first or last I do no think that it will have any effect as to how the LPGA or womens golf is viewed.
What if a couple of teams of LPGA tour players entered and got eliminated early?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #7

Do not think that the competition is weak just because Touring pros are excluded. There are some very good teaching pros out there that have game but for what ever reason, age, family etc perfer that lifestyle.
All I said was the "best need not apply", I stand by that statement.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #8

I guess I am thinking too much again but there is something about this team of Kerr/McLean that doesn't smell right.

Why would Jim McLean choose to play this event with Cristie Kerr if he actually wrote a check for his entry fee? He obviously could choose a better eligible player than Cristie and after all isn't winning what this event is all about?

Do you see what I am getting at? I think TGC or perhaps the tournament organizers have arranged for Kerr/McLean to be in the event without cost to them. That's the only arrangement that makes sense to me. I can't imagine Cristie writing out a check for $22,500 just to have a day of fun in the Sun with Jim and vice versa.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
All I said was the "best need not apply", I stand by that statement.
Ok, yeah you can say that is true. With this tournament I do not think that there goal was to make just another PGA tournament with the usual suspects. Who needs that.

This is more of the local guy at your club who is a scratch golfer that has some money and is a gambler. Maybe some celebs, local pros. To me this is more like a Local Poker Tournament where if you got the money and the nerve it is put up or shut up, but much larger in size.

To be fair maybe they should have also excluded LPGA players, however I do not think that they were worried about them.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:58 PM   #10
NTB

Qxer I agree as a Lpga player thats a load of money.
They have to think about their days after golf.