Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 06:22 PM   #1

2017: Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic

This week the LPGA moves to the state of Wisconsin for the playing of the Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic. This is the inaugural season for this event. The tournament will be played on the Oneida Reservation, near Green Bay, Wisconsin.

Here is my preview:

TONY'S LPGA REPORT: Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic Preview, Pairings, and More

Last edited by tonj5; 07-03-2017 at 06:28 PM.
tonj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #2

It's awful the LPGA has been hyping this event for almost 2 years and they give it the worst date available. The tribal official responsible for the sponsorship of the event even mentioned they wanted the best players in the field so they committed to a 2 million dollar purse. A weak field with many Symetra tour players. I bet Juli Inkster, Laura Davies and Lorie Kane would rather play this than the Senior LPGA Chps.

Last edited by fetucinialfokcu; 07-04-2017 at 07:58 AM.
fetucinialfokcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
Contest Statistician

So are you saying there should not be a tournament this week and we should have one less tournament.

Not sure what the answer is to get a better field.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #4

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
So are you saying there should not be a tournament this week and we should have one less tournament.

Not sure what the answer is to get a better field.

Take a chill pill and quit putting words in my mouth.

I'm saying this event could have been given a better date. With a larger purse, new event, it would make sense to schedule it in a way more conducive to.the top players. Why not put the Manulife this week if it was known it was going away? All I'm saying is that a sponsor commits to a higher dollar purse, does hundreds of thousands in renovations to the course, club house, practice area etc to get a glorified symetra event after having 2 years of lead time. I'd be a bit peeved. Although for all I know the sponsor is ok with this and maybe the LPGA will give it a better date next year. One has to think though that if this were.to happen again the sponsor.may say, why am I putting up 2 million when I could put up 1.3 million and get a similar field or worse, let's do a symetra event for 200 grand. Again, just speculation and I speculate because I want the LPGA to do well.
fetucinialfokcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:57 AM   #5

Originally Posted by fetucinialfokcu View Post
It's awful the LPGA has been hyping this event for almost 2 years and they give it the worst date available. The tribal official responsible for the sponsorship of the event even mentioned they wanted the best players in the field so they committed to a 2 million dollar purse. A weak field with many Symetra tour players. I bet Juli Inkster, Laura Davies and Lorie Kane would rather play this than the Senior LPGA Chps.
I believe that this won't be the case next year. The U.S. Open will be much earlier. The majors will be spread out a bit more.
tonj5 is offline   Reply With Quote