Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Michelle Wie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #11
Contest Statistician

When number 4 everyone will complain that they did not even win one.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #12

Originally Posted by jumong View Post
I see no problems with Michelle winning it. They all played under the same rules and they certainly all had their chances.
Just to be clear,lest anyone think it's the recipient of the award that has brought this on,I've got no problem with the Entitled Princess winning it.

The rules were known in advance and,under those rules,she was the deserving winner.

I just think the whole idea of the award is pretty pointless.

Originally Posted by cleo View Post
"in the same ballpark" , there is a Vardon(Harry Vardon) Trophy for best scoring avg. on th PGA.
Yes,but...

That,much like things such as the Louise Suggs recognises a season's worth of accomplishments.

You have the lowest scoring average,you're the best rookie,etc,here's some recognition of your achievement.

A Major winner has already had that recognition by winning the Major ; I don't see why there's a need for another trophy based on some cumulative number crunching.

You might as well have one for 'best player on courses with Bermuda greens'.

On a side note : at the time that the PGA of America introduced the Harry Vardon award,had he recorded the lowest scoring average in the history of golf.

On another side note : shouldn't the 'Annika' actually be called the 'Patty'...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 09-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #13

Blue, (under your revised rule change)

If I win 3 majors I get 150 points, but for some reason I can't play in the last two, and you come in 3rd in all 5, get a 100 points and happen to be the second most point getter next to me. Even if I deduct the 40 points I still have 10 more points than you. You get the award? Don't seem right to me.
jumong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #14
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by jumong View Post
Blue, (under your revised rule change)

If I win 3 majors I get 150 points, but for some reason I can't play in the last two, and you come in 3rd in all 5, get a 100 points and happen to be the second most point getter next to me. Even if I deduct the 40 points I still have 10 more points than you. You get the award? Don't seem right to me.
Under this scenario, someone who won the first three but didn't play in the last two would simply not be eligible for the award. There would be no 150 points. They would have zero points.

Also, I'm not proposing a deduction for not playing. I'm proposing a deduction for missing the cut. So there is no 40 point deduction.

If the award is given to the person who plays best in the majors, then the winner should actually PLAY in the majors.

Last edited by Blue; 09-16-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #15

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Yes,but...

On a side note : at the time that the PGA of America introduced the Harry Vardon award,had he recorded the lowest scoring average in the history of golf.

On another side note : shouldn't the 'Annika' actually be called the 'Patty'...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
1. Maybe this should be the Annika award since she has the lowest avg.

good point. I was wondering about that myself since Annika's 10 is short of Berg and others.

edit: hey, not a bad idea (no. 1) since the Vare trophy is named after an amature.

Last edited by cleo; 09-16-2014 at 11:14 AM.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #16

There has been a lowest scoring average for many years on the LPGA....the Vare Trophy.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #17
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
There has been a lowest scoring average for many years on the LPGA....the Vare Trophy.
If M. Wie wins the Trophy this year (she is currently 2nd), you can be sure that some posters will post that the method of determining the winner is unfair.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #18

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
If M. Wie wins the Trophy this year (she is currently 2nd), you can be sure that some posters will post that the method of determining the winner is unfair.
Elf: in this category there is a minimum number of rounds to achieve. Fortunately, as I recall a withdraw after a bad round doesn't count against one's average.

Annika lost out on another Vare when she didn't have the minimum. It is pretty high.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #19
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Originally Posted by cleo View Post
Elf: in this category there is a minimum number of rounds to achieve. Fortunately, as I recall a withdraw after a bad round doesn't count against one's average.

Annika lost out on another Vare when she didn't have the minimum. It is pretty high.
Thanks Cleo. It was one of my bad jokes.
I remember when Annika did not get the minimum. Do not remember if Grace or Lorena won.

One more award M. Wie can compete for: Player who practice less.
B. Lincicome and Wie are big contenders. One because of fishing, the other because applying make up.
Check the last pics posted by BKB.

Last edited by Elf; 09-16-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #20

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
Thanks Cleo. It was one of my bad jokes.
I remember when Annika did not get the minimum. Do not remember if Grace or Lorena won.

One more award M. Wie can compete for: Player who practice less.
B. Lincicome and Wie are big contenders. One because of fishing, the other because applying make up.
Check the last pics posted by BKB.
It happened at least twice to Annika. She owned the lowest scoring average in 2003 and 2004 but because she didn't play enough rounds to qualify Se Ri Pak (2003) and Grace Park (2004) were awarded the Vare Trophy.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote