Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > LPGA Players

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Arcade View Post
I already know that Lydia will be the most dominant, but the original question was between Brooke and Lexi. Again, Lydia was excluded because it would have been an obvious answer to include her.

I don't want to offend anyone or for this question to become some kind of race issue (like everything else on the internet it seems), but it just so happens the two players who intrigue me the most on tour happen to be blonde...This is completely to do with their style of play and not with their skin tone or hair color.

If any members would like to add any players into the mix I'd be more then happy to discuss, I'm just trying to get some golf talk started. :)
It seemed odd that you would put Lexi in the same group as Brooke. Lexi is a veteran in her 20s. Brooke is a teenager playing her first full year on the LPGA Tour.

No offense taken and it's good to get a dialogue going.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:05 PM   #12

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
I'll add everyone to the mix.

To me there is know guarantee that Ko will dominate year after year. I don't think it will happen. She will not dominate ala Tiger or Annika.

There are a lot more tough young players then ever before. Plus I think that the older guard of In Bee, Lewis and Petersen will be on the decline.

Things will be spread out among the younger players. Right now I see this young group as streaky.

There is a lot of good play out there, but I don't see on dominator because they are all so good.
Agree.

I'm not convinced of a LPGA dominator yet....and if Tina continues to drink the Deadbetter Kool-Aid....bye bye Ko....though there's a good Ko on the KLPGA...Jin Young Ko along with another Korean. who is a sponsor invite at the Founders, who has length, both likely can contend well on the LPGA if they venture/qualify.

And another 16 yr old Korean Am who played well in the 3 events in NZ and Oz.
Bivens is freaking out....lol.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #13
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
It seemed odd that you would put Lexi in the same group as Brooke. Lexi is a veteran in her 20s. Brooke is a teenager playing her first full year on the LPGA Tour.

One is 18 the other is 21. That is the same group to me.

For some reason I could not find birth dates on LPGA.com, had to find elsewhere.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:04 AM   #14

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
I'll add everyone to the mix.
To me there is know guarantee that Ko will dominate year after year. I don't think it will happen. She will not
dominate ala Tiger or Annika.
There are a lot more tough young players then ever before. Plus I think that the older guard of In Bee, Lewis and
Petersen will be on the decline.
Things will be spread out among the younger players. Right now I see this young group as streaky.
There is a lot of good play out there, but I don't see on dominater because they are all so good.
I agree for the most part xman, I definitely don't see Annika-type dominance on the horizon by any of the current crop of players, short term or long term. Annika was an outlier in a lot of ways, the main one being that she started peaking in her early thirties as opposed to her early twenties. That is pretty common in the men's game, but historically most women golfers have plateaued by the time they reach their early 30's and are in decline by their mid-thirties. There are always exceptions to the rule but the fact that so many players are ready to win at an earlier age nowadays, hitting 30 will be nearly a decades worth of work on tour, even over a decade for some. The chances of burning out earlier seems much greater now. We've already seen Ko speak of retirement by the time she's 30...The closest player we've seen reach Annika levels of dominance in recent years was Lorena Ochoa, but that was only for only a short burst of time before she left to start a family. We can only guess how long her dominance would have continued, but I think she had another 20-25 wins in her, which would have still have put her 20 + wins behind the incomparable Swede. That's a HoF career in itself!

Lydia strikes me as someone who could win 40 + times on tour if she makes the most of her opportunities to win over the next 5 years as the talent pool is getting deeper and stronger every year. These young players have the belief and winning mentality right out of the gate, but I feel confident in predicting a basline of 35 wins for Ko, I think she's that good.

For Lexi and Brooke I can definitely see 20 + wins out of them barring injury. Both ladies have shown the ability to dominate a field as teenagers, a very rare talent indeed. It's one thing to win at their age, but to blow a field away is something else entirely.

Personally, I hate parody in sports. I'd prefer the dominant figure or team to root for or against, a measuring stick for everyone else to try and reach and then ultimately topple. We see that to some degree with Inbee and Ko, but despite Park's stellar majors record, she hasn't really racked up the overall wins in a historically dominant fashion.

Originally Posted by Blue View Post

I used to post frequently on the LPGA message boards back in the day, I've missed discussing LPGA golf but luckily I've found this board. Hopefully the players give us great narratives to discuss moving forward.

Last edited by Arcade; 03-11-2016 at 12:08 AM.
Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #15
Contest Statistician

Even with the overall talent much better then ever I actually don't see anyone getting 20+ wins with the exception of Ko.

Ochoa would have had a lot of more wins, she just wanted babies more. I don't think Ko is thinking about babies.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:23 AM   #16
Forum Moderator

The talent pool is much deeper than it was in Annika's day when the LPGA was almost entirely made up of Americans and Europeans. Annika was a big fish in a much smaller pond. The Tour has globalized dramatically in the last two decades and now has contending players from all six continents where grass grows.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote