Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > LPGA Players

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
Forum Moderator

Salas on Trump

Lizette Salas was finally asked on camera about Donald Trump's anti-Mexican immigration comments.

She took the easy way out and avoided the issue entirely, saying, "I am just hear to play golf ... I'm not a politician ... Everyone is entitled to their opinion ... I'm proud of my heritage."

I get that she doesn't want to be drawn into a controversy in the middle of a tournament and focus on her game, but it's disappointing that she didn't take the opportunity to add something, even a quick sentence like, "I'm proud of my success and my family have always been hard working, tax paying, law abiding Americans."

That would undoubtedly provoke Trump into a tirade of name-calling against her, so it's understandable for her to run away from that situation especially in the middle of a tournament.

Still, she's probably the most visible and successful current Mexican-American female athlete. She has a stage and an opportunity to speak up for the millions of Mexican-Americans who have no stage and no voice.

I would like to see her have the courage to speak out against Trump after the tournament.

Last edited by Blue; 07-30-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #2

Part of it is fear over Trump's connection in the sport, but here's another thing people aren't considering - I think there are a lot of pro golfers (probably more men than women) that are likely to VOTE for Trump. Golf is still a conservative sport, and he's done a lot for the game. But pro golfers who support Trump are afraid to say so because it would be a media firestorm, and pro golfers who denounce Trump are afraid to say so because of how critical the rest of the locker room might be.

This is all my personal opinion, though. I have nothing more than my gut feeling to go off.
Centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
Forum Moderator

No doubt that pro golfers skew Republican, but most aren't dumb. I think they are probably more Jeb Bush conservatives than Donald Trump conservatives.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Lizette Salas was finally asked on camera about Donald Trump's anti-Mexican immigration comments.

She took the easy way out and avoided the issue entirely, saying, "I am just hear to play golf ... I'm not a politician ... Everyone is entitled to their opinion ... I'm proud of my heritage."

I get that she doesn't want to be drawn into a controversy in the middle of a tournament and focus on her game, but it's disappointing that she didn't take the opportunity to add something, even a quick sentence like, "I'm proud of my success and my family have always been hard working, tax paying, law abiding Americans."

That would undoubtedly provoke Trump into a tirade of name-calling against her, so it's understandable for her to run away from that situation especially in the middle of a tournament.

Still, she's probably the most visible and successful current Mexican-American female athlete. She has a stage and an opportunity to speak up for the millions of Mexican-Americans who have no stage and no voice.

I would like to see her have the courage to speak out against Trump after the tournament.

The person that needs to speak out is Tiger Woods. Or does he have so much money that he doesn't care. Remember he was the guy that had the commercial with the "places they wouldn't let me play.

Salas is still a young girl. She may not be political. It is not in everyone's nature to let you know what they think. She is not the Spokeswomen for Mexican Americans.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #5

I agree with xman5.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:34 PM   #6

Salas, or any golfer in the Championship, cannot be dragged into the clown circus of Donald Trump's world. They cannot afford the distraction.

He's an ass...."The first round of one of the high-profile events in women's golf wound up being a mere sideshow from the moment the Republican arrived at the course with family members in his private helicopter, declaring "the world has asked me to be here."

The world has asked him to be there? That about says it all about this egomaniac buffoon.

My advice to the women trying to play in the WBO is to ignore him. "No comment" would be the best answer to any stupid questions about it all.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #7

I agree with LoJo.
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #8
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Salas is still a young girl. She may not be political. It is not in everyone's nature to let you know what they think. She is not the Spokeswomen for Mexican Americans.
She's not a young girl. She a 26-year-old woman. She's been eligible to vote for 8 years. She's old enough to run for Congress.

She doesn't have to be "political." And she probably shouldn't say anything in the middle of the tournament. And of course she doesn't have an obligation to speak out on behalf of her heritage, but I would like to see her to do it. She's in a visible position and she might be able to change the minds of those who think that Mr. Trump is right in his view of Mexican immigrants.

That's all.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #9
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Salas, or any golfer in the Championship, cannot be dragged into the clown circus of Donald Trump's world. They cannot afford the distraction.

He's an ass...."The first round of one of the high-profile events in women's golf wound up being a mere sideshow from the moment the Republican arrived at the course with family members in his private helicopter, declaring "the world has asked me to be here."

The world has asked him to be there? That about says it all about this egomaniac buffoon.

My advice to the women trying to play in the WBO is to ignore him. "No comment" would be the best answer to any stupid questions about it all.
I agree with your analysis of Trump and I agree that the middle of the WBO is no place to address this. But saying "no comment" tends to escalate a debate not end it. Trump would pick up on this and attack her.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #10
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Blue Stick with M. Wie and leave the Mexican-American alone.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote