Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > LPGA Players

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #1

Na Yeon Choi Donation, Making Kimchi

from my blog: Na Yeon Choi Donates To Children’s Charity, Makes Kimchi | Fairways and Forehands

I have to hand it to Na Yeon Choi. Not only is she one of the greatest golfers on the planet, a 2010 LPGA Vare Trophy and Money List winner, not to mention the reigning 2012 US Women’s Open champion, but she also is one of the most giving players on tour. She donates to several children’s charities, does magic shows at children’s hospitals and has helped establish computer labs for needy kids. Here she is again on-hand to give yet another donation (the 76,800,000 is in South Korean Won) and then make kimchi.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #2

Thanks for posting this, Bob..... A great golfer indeed! She looks super with the new longer hair style. Wasn't it you BKB who said Choi Na Yeon "is like caramel on the eyes".
JJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #3

Originally Posted by JJfan View Post
Thanks for posting this, Bob..... A great golfer indeed! She looks super with the new longer hair style. Wasn't it you BKB who said Choi Na Yeon "is like caramel on the eyes".
caramel on the eyes...mmmmmm, caramel...sorry, that wasn't me...I usually just say somebody looks beautiful or fantastic or something like that...btw, there is more NYC goodness here: Se Ri Pak, Na Yeon Choi and Jiyai Shin Help Elderly and Children During Holidays

...pics are from HF, but I was able to rip some videos and post them as well...

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 12-15-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #4

I have no honour....I love all kinds of cuisine and will pretty much each anything....live in a very cosmo city yet have never and had Korean food.

There are quite a few Korean restaurants and one less than a kilometer away.....gonna have to get my arse there soon.

Any one have any suggestions for their fav Korean dishes?....thx
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
I have no honour....I love all kinds of cuisine and will pretty much each anything....live in a very cosmo city yet have never and had Korean food.

There are quite a few Korean restaurants and one less than a kilometer away.....gonna have to get my arse there soon.

Any one have any suggestions for their fav Korean dishes?....thx
Galbijjim

(korean-style beef short ribs).
Beef short ribs (galbijjim) recipe - Maangchi.com

Ingredients:

2 lbs (about 1 kg) of beef short ribs, water, cooking wine, soy sauce, black pepper, brown sugar, garlic, green onion, onion, sesame oil, carrots, radish, shiitake mushrooms, and mulyeot (corn syrup).

1. Soak 5 shiitake mushrooms in warm water for about 4-6 hours.
2. Soak short ribs in cold water in a large bowl for at least 30 minutes and change the water a few times.
3. Boil water in a large pot. Put in the short ribs. Boil for 5-10 minutes.
4. Take out the ribs from the boiling water and wash them with cold water to remove unnecessary fat or floating bubbles.
5. Throw away the boiling water and clean the pot.
6. Place the cleanÂ* beef short ribs in the pot.
7. Prepare a bowl to make seasoned water by mixingÂ* 2 cups of water, 4 tbs soy sauce, 8 cloves of minced garlic), ½ sliced onion, 1 tbs rice wine, and 1 tbs brown sugar.
8. Add it to the short ribs in the pot.
9. Boil it over medium heat for 20 minutes.
10. While it boils, you can prepare the other ingredients:
11. Â* Cut carrot and radish into 5 cm-size cubes and round the edges to make several balls (the size of the balls should be like ping pong balls )
12. Cut the soaked shiitake mushrooms into bite size.
*tip: You can add several skinned chestnuts and gingko nuts
13. Open the lid of the pot and add all ingredients (carrot, radish, shiitake mushrooms) to the pot. Let it simmer for about 1 hour over low heat.
*tip: Stir the ribs and other ingredients with a wooden spoon from time to time. Pour the liquid from the bottom of the pot over top of the meat
14. Open the lid and check if the meat is cooked fully. Use your chopstick to poke the meat. When it is smoothly going through the meat, the meat is tender enough.
15. Add 2 tbs of moolyeot (corn syrup), 1 tbs sesame oil, ½ ts black pepper, and heat it up over high heat. Mix it well until liquid evaporates
16. Transfer galbijjim to a platter before serving.

Bulgogi and Bulgogi jungol

Bulgogi stew recipe - Maangchi.com
Bulgogi is a famous korean dish made with marinated sliced beef. In this video, I make Bulgogi stew using marinated bulgogi and some vegetables.

"Bulgogi"
Ingredients:
2 pounds of tenderloin beef, soy sauce, sugar, honey, garlic, pear, onion, sesame oil and seeds, 1 can of beef broth, mushrooms, carrot, green onions, tofu, onion, and green chili pepper.

Directions:
1. Make marinade sauce for 2 pounds of beef by mixing following: ½ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup sugar, 12 cloves minced garlic, 1 medium size onion (crushed), 1 small size of Asian pear (crushed), ½ cup of water (can be replaced with cooking wine), and 1 tbs of honey.
*tip: Using a food processor is very convenient.
2. Prepare a large stainless bowl and pour the marinade sauce in it.
3. Slice the beef thinly, against the grain, to make it tender.
*tip: Keep the beef in the freezer for a few hours beforehand, then it will be easier to cut.
4. Place the sliced beef into the marinade and add 1 or 2 tbs of sesame oil and some toasted sesame seeds. Mix it by hand and keep it in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
5. After 3 hours, you can grill the meat on charcoal bbq, broil it in oven, or grill it on pan.

"Bulgogi stew (bulgogi jungol)"
Ingredients (for 4-6 servings):
marinated bulgogi (the recipe from above), mushrooms, green onions, tofu or noodles, and green chili pepper.

Directions:
1. Prepare a big shallow skillet. Place colorful vegetables (mushrooms, carrot, and green onions cut into bite-size pieces) round the outside with tofu, and place the bulgogi in the center.
2. Cut up a green chili pepper and place it on top of the bulgogi on the skillet.
3. Mix 1 can of beef broth and 1-2 cans of water and add on the skillet.
4. Close the lid and cook it about 5 -10 minutes. Open it to spread the bulgogi around, and then close the lid again
5. Cook another 5-10 minutes over high heat and serve it.
*tip: To eat it, use a serving spoon or dipper to fill individual bowls of the stew.

...and of course,

KIMCHI

Full recipe here: Kimchi and Kakdugi recipe - Maangchi.com

How to Make kimchi and kaktugi (radish kimchi)

Ingredients:
2 medium size napa cabbages and 2 Korean radishes, salt, sweet rice flour, sugar, water, 4-6 cups of hot pepper flakes, fish sauce, white onion, fresh garlic, ginger, green onions, Asian chives, fresh oysters (optional)

How to handle cabbages and radish:
1. Cut the cabbages in half, and then slit each half through the core, but not through the rest of the leaves.
2. Soak each piece in cold water and sprinkle some salt (about ½ cup of salt per 1 medium size cabbage), and then set it aside for 2 hours.
*tip: the stems should get more salt than the leaves
3. Skin 2 radishes and cut them into 1 inch cubes. Do this by cutting them into several disks, and then cutting horizontally, and then vertically. Put them in a big bowl and sprinkle them with ½ cup of salt. Then set these aside, too.
4. 2 hours later, turn the pieces of cabbage over so they get salted evenly. Turn the radishes as well.
5. Another 2 hours later, you will see the cabbage look softer than before, and it should have shrunk.
*the total salting process will take 4 hours
6. Rinse the salted cabbage and radish with cold water 3 times.

Making kimchi paste:

Make porridge

1. Put ½ cup of sweet rice flour (you can replace with plain flour) and 3 cups of water into a skillet and mix them up. Then cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
2. When you see some bubbles, pour 1/4 cup of sugar into the porridge and stir one more minute. Then cool it down.
3. Place the cold porridge into a big bowl. Now you will add all your ingredients one by one.
4. Add 1 cup of fish sauce, 4~6 cups of hot pepper flakes (depending on your taste), 1 cup of crushed garlic, 1 tbs of minced ginger, 1 medium size minced onion
*tip: it's much easier to use a food processor.
5. Add 7 diagonally-sliced green onions, 2 cups of Asian chives (cut into 2 inches in length), and 2 cups of shredded Korean radish.
6. Add 2 cups of frozen oysters, but this is optional. (I found out lots of people can't eat them.)
7. Mix all ingredients well and your Kimchi paste is done.
8. Are you ready to spread our paste on the leaves and make your kaktugi?
* I recommend you wear rubber gloves so that you don't irritate your skin.
9. Spread the kimchi paste onto each leaf of the cabbage, and make a good shape out of the leaves by slightly pressing with both hands.
Put it into an air- tight sealed plastic container or glass jar.

Mix your leftover paste with your radish cubes (this is kaktugi).
That's all!

You can eat it fresh right after making or wait until it's fermented. Put the Kimchi container at room temperature for 1 or 2 days and keep it in the refrigerator.

How do you know it's fermented or not?

One or 2 days after, open the lid of the Kimchi container. You may see some bubbles with lots of liquids, or maybe sour smells. That means it's already being fermented.

---Bruce Lee

Old 12-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #6

BKB
Thx for the suggestions.
Trying to duplicate some dishes at home is near impossible...especially Asian dishes....I'll stick to eating out.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote