Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > LPGA Players

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #31
Donating Member

I saw the same single motion. Thus my question about the technique of putting the mark off axis (not in a line with the ball and the hole). I have never seen a player put the ball mark to the side of the ball.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #32
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
I saw the same single motion. Thus my question about the technique of putting the mark off axis (not in a line with the ball and the hole). I have never seen a player put the ball mark to the side of the ball.
Because you don't put the mark off axis. The ball must be played in the same position. To do that you place your coin directly behind the ball and place the ball back directly in front of the ball. That insures that you place the ball back in exactly the same position.

There is no purpose to marking it off axis except to move the ball over an inch to the side in a way that no one will see it. Only a person standing close or a tv close up will pick it up. The purpose could most likely be to avoid a spike mark directly in your path.

See the following.

elliot Saltman banned from European Tour for incorrect marking of ball on green
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #33

Rules of Golf Decision 20-1/19:
Placing Object Marking Position of Ball Other Than Behind Ball

Q. When marking the position of a ball, must the ball-marker be placed behind the ball, or may it also be placed to the side of or in front of the ball?

A. There is no restriction. However, if a player positions his ball-marker in front of the ball on the putting green and in the process does something to the green that improves the line of putt (e.g., presses down a raised tuft of grass), he is in breach of Rule 13-2.

Placing a ball-marker in front of the ball is not recommended but it is not a breach of Rule 16-1a because this Rule permits touching the line of putt in lifting a ball, and marking the position of the ball is part of the lifting process.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #34
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Rules of Golf Decision 20-1/19:
Placing Object Marking Position of Ball Other Than Behind Ball

Q. When marking the position of a ball, must the ball-marker be placed behind the ball, or may it also be placed to the side of or in front of the ball?

A. There is no restriction. However, if a player positions his ball-marker in front of the ball on the putting green and in the process does something to the green that improves the line of putt (e.g., presses down a raised tuft of grass), he is in breach of Rule 13-2.

Placing a ball-marker in front of the ball is not recommended but it is not a breach of Rule 16-1a because this Rule permits touching the line of putt in lifting a ball, and marking the position of the ball is part of the lifting process.
It does not specifically say to place the marker on axis with the ball whether behind or to the side, but the ball must be replaced in the same spot. You could theoretically do it off axis but why would you normally do that.

The problem that I have is she did this is one complete motion. It was not like she marked the ball wrong and then came back latter and placed the ball wrong as well. It seemed very deliberate in action.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #35

I posted the Rules decision simply to point out there's no restriction against placing a ball marker to the side or elsewhere other than behind the ball.

I agree that Choi's action did appear deliberate. As I stated earlier, she did not handle it well and her actions after being confronted with the evidence cast doubt as to her integrity.

A simple,..."I see now from the video that I inadvertently replaced the ball in the wrong place, and I accept the penalty" ... would have ended any speculation or suspicion. I mean....she had to have seen that she did it, right?
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote