Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #1

Yani's nerves.

We all found out this past week that Yani has a long, long ways to go to become a complete golfer and challenge the records of the great players in the history of the LPGA tour, but she has time, so I am not worried about her.

However, did you notice how screwed up her putting stroke became on those tricky Broadmoor greens? 90% of the time I saw her putt she was rebounding the putter at the finish of her stroke and no one can putt that way successfully for very long.

Indecision, nerves, pressure, all of those things got to Yani and it may take her a long time to get over this past week. It appeared to me that even though Yani made the cut with a few shots to spare, she looked like she didn't want to be there.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Donating Member

She was cursed by me picking her in the contest. As all my picks, they fall apart.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #3

Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
She was cursed by me picking her in the contest. As all my picks, they fall apart.
I picked Yani to win and feel lucky, given her body language and putting stroke, that she didn't miss the cut along with Lexi.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
We all found out this past week that Yani has a long, long ways to go to become a complete golfer and challenge the records of the great players in the history of the LPGA tour, but she has time, so I am not worried about her.

However, did you notice how screwed up her putting stroke became on those tricky Broadmoor greens? 90% of the time I saw her putt she was rebounding the putter at the finish of her stroke and no one can putt that way successfully for very long.

Indecision, nerves, pressure, all of those things got to Yani and it may take her a long time to get over this past week. It appeared to me that even though Yani made the cut with a few shots to spare, she looked like she didn't want to be there.
I think that it is more about losing interest early when she looked like she was too far back (The Wie Syndrome). Putting suffers first.

She needs a little more focus and a little more killer instinct. Maybe a talk to her by Annika will help. She needs to learn that you have to keep grinding away, especailly at a major like this. Chances are that the Twins where going to come back to the field and they did quickly.

Look at Cristie Kerr. She kept grinding away, had focus and was in it until the end. Great putting the whole time, making some tough par putts.

I don't think anyone on the leaderboard were complaining about stopping too early, or too many times. They were focused on doing what they need to do to win.

However, she has proven to be the #1 and has the ability to dominate it for a long time.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
I picked Yani to win and feel lucky, given her body language and putting stroke, that she didn't miss the cut along with Lexi.
Really? She's hardly in a class with Lexi, a spoiled brat who is over-worked by money-grubbing parents and may well have reached her peak. Yani did get a top 20 finish. It's not like she finished T55. She'll bounce back. She's still #1 in the Rolex and on the LPGA money list.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Really? She's hardly in a class with Lexi, a spoiled brat who is over-worked by money-grubbing parents and may well have reached her peak. Yani did get a top 20 finish. It's not like she finished T55. She'll bounce back. She's still #1 in the Rolex and on the LPGA money list.
But she did putt terrible, and body lang showed that she knew she was putting poorly. It is a testament to her ability that even when she plays poorly she can still finish top 20.

Look for a better result at Evian, on a course not so tough.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
But she did putt terrible, and body lang showed that she knew she was putting poorly. It is a testament to her ability that even when she plays poorly she can still finish top 20.

Look for a better result at Evian, on a course not so tough.
There was tremendous pressure on Yani to do well. She probably will do better at Evian. Lexi, however, will likely still miss the cut even playing on a course she's familiar with and played well on last year.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Contest Statistician

There was tremendous pressure on Yani to do well. She probably will do better at Evian. Lexi, however, will likely still miss the cut even playing on a course she's familiar with and played well on last year.
Yani is always going to have pressure. Right now she is on the border line of expectation.

In every tournament that Annika played or Lorena after her, they were expected to win. Tiger too.

Shin had that for a moment (maybe still does), so did Peterrsen for that brief moment, now Yani has it. The question is does she take it into Annika and Tiger territory where the expectation and domination was real.

She is not there yet. When she starts to strike fear into her opponents that's when she is on the other side.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #9

I don't see spoiled brat in Lexi, now maybe her parents are a problem, I don't know about that, but Lexi does not act like any spoiled brat I have ever seen.
Look at the way she handled herself after the last round of the Avnet.
I think, even you, will have to admit that there was no spoiled brat in Lexi that day.