Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #21
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
Currently Yani's average points in the Rolex Rankings is 10.34 and Wiesy is at 6.29, a difference of 4.05 points.

At the end of this season, which you think will be a breakout year for Wiesy, will the point difference between Yani and Wiesy be higher or lower than 4.05 points?
Wow tough question. Regardless of how good I think Wie will be this year, you have to expect Yani to have a good year,as the "preseason" has indicated. I don't know about points but I will say this, I expect Yani to hold on to #1 and for Wie to move up. I think the spread in points depends on the Majors.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #22

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Wow tough question. Regardless of how good I think Wie will be this year, you have to expect Yani to have a good year,as the "preseason" has indicated. I don't know about points but I will say this, I expect Yani to hold on to #1 and for Wie to move up. I think the spread in points depends on the Majors.
OK, Wiesy is currently ranked number 11. Where will she be ranked at the end of the season?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #23

Here is a little interview with Ni Ni from the ANZ event...the voice-over is in Mandarin, but Yani is speaking English...

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #24

Question

OK Xman,

Everything is set up for you and Wiesy in the last round. She is playing head to head with Yani and if Wiesy takes down Yani to win the event, then she has started the first leg of this breakout season you are predicting for her.

The question for you then is this: Will Wiesy beat Yani in the fourth round and win this event?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #25
Forum Moderator

Nothing is a given in life, so I say potential.

One, she has more talent then most on tour. She needs to harness that talent. Two, and the main reason is that I think that she is starting the year healthy. But I don't know that for certain. Three, She is nearing the end of school and I think the hard part of it is over, so she should be more relaxed. Four, With such a choppy LPGA schedule she is not at a big disadvantage to a schedule that works around school. Many on tour, especially the lower ranked will not be able to get into good tournament rhythm, so it is an equalizer.

By breakout I mean a multiple win year. I would say she has more potential for this then most on tour, excluding the top group who have already had that type of success.

It is not just a willy nilly statement.

It was also just one statement that was part of many in my handicapping of the season. Interesting how this is the only one that people focused on.
OK. Thanks for answering. It's just the first tournament of the year and it's not even over so we'll see. I'm not sure health and the schedule are as much of a factor as you think they are. She's started the year healthy in 2009 and 2010 didn't she? Or at last she said she did until she reported in November that she was actually injured all year. It's hard to track her injuries. Also the schedule isn't that different from 2010 with regard to her school. She has a couple of tournaments in Asia during her winter term and then when the Tour starts up again in March, she's done with school and doesn't return until the end of September.

I agree that she has more talent than most of the other players on the Tour. Talent has never been an issue. The issue with Michelle Wie has never been talent. The issue seems to be desire. I'm not convinced she really wants to be a professional golfer as much as the other leading golfers on Tour. You can all have the talent in the world but if you don't have the drive and determination to maximize it, you can't reach the very top. I wonder if finishing school won't actually hurt her golf game. She seems to play better on the LPGA Tour when she playe during the school years. The mid-season week-in, week-out grind seems to put her in a slump (see her major record the last four years as an example). If I were her fan, I'd hope that after she graduates she finds a suitable replacement because simply playing golf full-time year round doesn't seem to do it for her.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #26

It's a bit late, but while Yani was winning in Australia, she visited the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary on the Gold Coast of Queensland.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote