Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #11

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
Anytime, if I can find the media.

Let me ask SJX and gxer, and actually anybody who can answer...does Suzanne Pettersen or Na Yeon Choi have the game to keep up with Shin and Tseng...or for that matter Creamer or Kerr?

What does each player lack that would keep them from catching Yani or Shin? Is it a mental thing with Suzann? She had so many runners-up finishes...if only she could cash in more often...and what if NYC continues her strong play from the end of the year?

Or has Yani crossed a threshold now that is beyond just being great? Did winning the POY give her such confidence that she just will be tough for anybody to stay with? Or is her game simply better and she's starting to realize the full potential of her talent?
I think Suzann Pettersen tends to choke in clutch situations ;NYC is a developing talent who's going to win a lot,but is a step below Tseng and Shin.Pinky's got too many distractions,what,with being America's sweetheart and having an apparently frail constitution.Cristie Kerr is older than those other players.I feel if she was going to dominate golf she'd have done it by now.Ai-Chan,although my personal favourite of the bunch,needs to display more consistency on a weekly basis.

Inky (the Korean Inky) should also be in this discussion,seeing as she's ranked higher than a couple of the other names who have been tossed around.

I'm sticking to my belief that Tseng and Shin will separate themselves from the chasing pack.

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 02-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #12

Might the potential separation between Yani and her top rivals be her ability to rack up Majors? She can be hot and cold, not as consistent as Shin, but Yani seems like a Major Machine. Of course, Kerr and Creamer won Majors in 2010 as well, but if you threw on the table that you thought Yani could win eight career Majors, I think people would seriously consider that. I'm not sure that's true with the others.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #13

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
Might the potential separation between Yani and her top rivals be her ability to rack up Majors? She can be hot and cold, not as consistent as Shin, but Yani seems like a Major Machine. Of course, Kerr and Creamer won Majors in 2010 as well, but if you threw on the table that you thought Yani could win eight career Majors, I think people would seriously consider that. I'm not sure that's true with the others.
I'll buy that,Bobby.

Unless,of course,Jiyai Shin could somehow find another thirty yards off the tee ;then all bets would be off...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 02-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #14
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Yani demonstrated in 2010 a evolving talent and maturity to be one of the best, if not the best player on tour. In the 2 Australian events she was well above the rest, but in the Australian events, a lot good players were absent. So I will reserve my opinion until two events in the LPGA. We know Yani is playijg fantastic golf, but what about the other top players? Have to wait and see the other 7 or 8 canditates for POY play a couple tournaments. With s few events, the 4 Majors will be the key for establishing the best player on tour.

Last edited by Elf; 02-14-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #15
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
I imagine that living across the 16th fairway from Annika and becoming fast friends with her might add a little spark to Yani's game.

Viva Annika
Maybe a little, but Yani has also won all these tournaments all on her own.

Viva Yani
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #16
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Also look for a potential breakout year for Michelle Wie.

Weren't those exact words printed in 2010? Oh, and 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004 ...

What's different this year? This is a serious question. What has changed?

Anyway, I predict Yani to dominate the LPGA this year. She has exactly what it takes to dominate. She's good at all aspects of the game: she hits the ball far, she's got a good short game. She can win from behind. She can hold onto a lead. She's won majors. She's won small tournaments that no one cares about. She's won on nearly every tour around the world. The only risk for her is burnout and injuries.

Last edited by Blue; 02-17-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #17

Also look for a potential breakout year for Michelle Wie.
xman,

Why did you use the word potential before breakout year? Why not take a stand, either Wie will have a breakout year or she won't.

So, xman, will she or won't she have a breakout year this season?

By the way, while we are at this, please give me your definition of a breakout year.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
xman,

Why did you use the word potential before breakout year? Why not take a stand, either Wie will have a breakout year or she won't.

So, xman, will she or won't she have a breakout year this season?

By the way, while we are at this, please give me your definition of a breakout year.
Good one gxer.

Every year is a potential breakout year for every single player on the LPGA Tour.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #19
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Good one gxer.

Every year is a potential breakout year for every single player on the LPGA Tour.
Nothing is a given in life, so I say potential.

One, she has more talent then most on tour. She needs to harness that talent. Two, and the main reason is that I think that she is starting the year healthy. But I don't know that for certain. Three, She is nearing the end of school and I think the hard part of it is over, so she should be more relaxed. Four, With such a choppy LPGA schedule she is not at a big disadvantage to a schedule that works around school. Many on tour, especially the lower ranked will not be able to get into good tournament rhythm, so it is an equalizer.

By breakout I mean a multiple win year. I would say she has more potential for this then most on tour, excluding the top group who have already had that type of success.

It is not just a willy nilly statement.

It was also just one statement that was part of many in my handicapping of the season. Interesting how this is the only one that people focused on.

Last edited by xman5; 02-17-2011 at 03:33 PM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #20

Nothing is a given in life, so I say potential.

One, she has more talent then most on tour. Two, and the main reason is that I think that she is starting the year healthy. But I don't know that for certain. Three, She is nearing the end of school and I think the hard part of it is over, so she should be more relaxed. Four, With such a choppy LPGA schedule she is not at a big disadvantage to a schedule that works around school. Many on tour, especially the lower ranked will not be able to get into good tournament rhythm, so it is an equalizer.

By breakout I mean a multiple win year. I would say she has more potential for this then most on tour, excluding the top group who have already had that type of success.

It is not just a willy nilly statement.
Currently Yani's average points in the Rolex Rankings is 10.34 and Wiesy is at 6.29, a difference of 4.05 points.

At the end of this season, which you think will be a breakout year for Wiesy, will the point difference between Yani and Wiesy be higher or lower than 4.05 points?