Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #21

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
DB, you're the one who's missing the point. The reason no one but diehard LPGA fans know anything about Yani is because the media doesn't think the best player on tour is worth covering.

What most of us want is for the LPGA to grow. That isn't going to happen by ignoring the top player because she's not blonde and blue eyed, or some teenager that the media assumes will be great someday. We've seen from recent history how that turned out whith the last "phenom."

And by the way, Tebow made me a happy camper.
I understand what you're saying, MP...but like they say, "You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make it drink."

Writers will write what they want to write for their own glorification! They are after those who can make them sell their articles! That's how they make their living!

To further explain my point, I'll simplify it and bring it right in your alley so you can understand: You are a tax accountant. At this time of the year, you're interested and after all those who worked all year...so you can file their taxes and earned you some money. You wouldn't be interested on those unemployed and help them get a job so they could file their taxes next year, would you?
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!

Last edited by dangerbob; 01-09-2012 at 10:30 AM.
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #22

Actually, I hired someone who was unemployed, so I'm not sure your question is valid. Also, since unemployment is considered taxable income, I do returns for people who are unemployed.

The reality is, the media is supposed to report the news. Instead, they've become adept at making news. The problem they have is, using the example of Michelle Wie, she was supposed to be the LPGA's savior. She's turned out to be a decent, not great, LPGA player so far. People who bought tickets expecting to see her dominate, were sorely disappointed. The newest project for them is Lexi. Will she be just another player, or a force on the LPGA Tour? Only time will tell. In the meantime, Yani is kicking ass and taking names, without getting the recognition she should.

If reporters want people to buy their articles, they should report the news as it happens, not as they wish it were happening. It's called credibility. You can't put a price on it.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #23

Originally Posted by prime007 View Post
I'd have to agree with both MarinePaul (Yani deserves more attention) & Mr3putt (sex sells) here...as much as I wish it was different.

I don't think Yani needs to be as attractive as Aza, Belen or Beatriz to garner more attention. But I do think she can do several things to help herself here. Here's my suggestions...

* BECOME A SPOKESPERSON/SPONSOR A CAUSE
One way to really win people's hearts is to become a spokesperson for a cause/charity. I know Yani has donated money to Annika Foundation, Japan (via UNICEF), and Taiwan (special needs kids & golf). But it would do her popularity wonders if she takes up a cause & supports it year-round.

* DRESS MORE FEMININE
I know she prefers shorts to skirts and avoids (maybe scared of?) dresses. But looking (or at least trying to be) more glamorous would certainly help her case in the States. Realize I'm referring to media/press events. I'd dress her up for media/press events...but let her do her thing come LPGA tournaments.

* LOSE SOME WEIGHT
As Mr3putt says..."SEX SELLS". But let's understand Yani doesn't need and is not going to be supermodel thin. I think all she really needs is to have a better diet (no IHOP!) and slim down slightly.

* PLAY A PGA EVENT (AND HOPEFULLY MAKE THE CUT)
Yes, this would be somewhat controversial. But it would huge if she were to be able to make the cut at an PGA event. Unlike some members here, I do believe she's capable of doing this on a short PGA course. I would highly recommend she be on the top of her game before trying this.

* WIN THE US OPEN
Easier said than done. But if Yani were to win the US Open, I do think even the US media would acknowledge her accomplishments and put her in the spotlight.

* BE MORE ACTIVE USING SOCIAL MEDIA
She's fairly active on Facebook. But sign back in on Twitter, post more pictures with your friends/competitors, give us a sense of what's it like to be the #1 female golfer in the world.

* KEEP IMPROVING YOUR ENGLISH
Yani made huge strides in her English language skills in 2011. Let's hope she continues improving here!

* KEEP SMILING (and hopefully keep winning!)
Twitter ? Lose some weight ? FFS.

How about she just continues to dominate the sport,shattering records as she goes,instead ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 01-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #24

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Twitter ? Lose some weight ? FFS.

How about she just continues to dominate the sport,shattering records as she goes,instead ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
I agree that's her best chance at more recognition in the USA. She's never going to be a glamour girl. I personally have no problem with her looks. I think she looks fine. But in terms of Madison Avenue type looks...then no, she's not that type and I don't think it's in her personality to be that type.

I was really annoyed (to be polite) when she finished as low as she did on the AP Female Athlete of the Year results, especially when I think a couple of the people who finished ahead of her (Abby Wambach, Hope Solo) aren't even the best players in their own sport (Marta) and didn't lead their team to the ultimate win in their sport (Homare Sawa). And you guys know I love Hope Solo. But Yani is doing things that are historically great.

...BUT...

...while she was POY in 2010, that wasn't in exactly dominating fashion...2011 was her first Annika-esque type year...so give it some time...yes, she deserves more attention than she's getting...but she will get it if she continues to be dominating, like Annika and Lorena before her...I will grudgingly give the press a pass on not recognizing her enough so far...even though I think they should...but if she continues to set records and dominate her sport, I agree with SJX that it's the best way for her to get that recognition...eventually, if she remains dominant, she will force the press to recognize her...especially if the Commish keeps publicly taking them to task for not giving her credit, as he did with Golf Magazine...

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #25
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
And by the way, Tebow made me a happy camper.
Me too, but probably not for the same reason.

Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #26
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
You guys can complain as much as you want...but one thing you must understand is that sports writers are not there to patronize a certain player. Their main goal is to make money and to patronize what they write. They are looking for players who they think will get people interested to read what they write and at the same time sell their articles. Same thing with people on TV and other forms of media outlets.

Just look at here in Denver right now. Tebow and the Broncos just beat the Pittsburg steelers and look how crazy those media people are! The TV coverage was extended to 2 hours non-stop. Had Pittsburg won, they probably won't even stay on the air for more than 10 minutes. Why? Because they know no one would be interested.

No one except diehard ladies golf fans heard of Yani Tseng here in the U.S., so why bother talking or writing on TV or newspaper? But she is a hero in Taiwan, so, TV and Newpapers are interested in her and it's up to them to patronize her and not U.S. A sportswriters. I rest my case.

And by the way, if the Broncos beat New England next week, I'll put my picture here tebowing MP!
It's different. NFL teams belong to their home city and there is a built-in rivalry between cities and teams.

Golf is different. It's not a national sport. Yani doesn't play for Team Taiwan. Annika didn't play for Team Sweden.

Almost no one in New England is ever going to cheer for the Broncos over the Patriots. But there are plenty of American golf fans who would root for a player from Sweden or Mexico or Spain. Why not a player from Taiwan? Because the ethnocentric golf media thinks it's too hard a sell, so they don't even try.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #27

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Me too, but probably not for the same reason.

He can make me even happier next game.