Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #11

Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
So, Yani, being a full-time member of the LPGA, is she a full time player in Taiwan? I believe, so far, there is only one LPGA event in Taiwan. It's just like if you live in Ohio, you root for Cleveland Browns or the Cincinnati Bengals who by the way were demolished by the Houston Texans. It was just like LeBrons James being worshipped by the Ohioans before he left and played for the Miami Heat. But the only time he was mentioned in the sport pages of the Denver post was when he played against the Nuggets!
The point is, Yani IS a full- time player in the USA, but doesn't get the press she deserves and, in my opinion, has earned.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #12

Let's face it....as I've said many times b4.....SEX SELLS.

Yani has the personality and game to garner much attention...but can't obtain the attention from international fans because she lacks the physical traits.

e.g.) If say Aza, Belen or Beatriz (international players).....all very attractive ladies had Yani's golf accomplishments...they would have more attention and sponsorship opportunities....and would have more US attention....although all have good attention from US fans based on their respective golf credentials to date.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #13

I'd have to agree with both MarinePaul (Yani deserves more attention) & Mr3putt (sex sells) here...as much as I wish it was different.

I don't think Yani needs to be as attractive as Aza, Belen or Beatriz to garner more attention. But I do think she can do several things to help herself here. Here's my suggestions...

* BECOME A SPOKESPERSON/SPONSOR A CAUSE
One way to really win people's hearts is to become a spokesperson for a cause/charity. I know Yani has donated money to Annika Foundation, Japan (via UNICEF), and Taiwan (special needs kids & golf). But it would do her popularity wonders if she takes up a cause & supports it year-round.

* DRESS MORE FEMININE
I know she prefers shorts to skirts and avoids (maybe scared of?) dresses. But looking (or at least trying to be) more glamorous would certainly help her case in the States. Realize I'm referring to media/press events. I'd dress her up for media/press events...but let her do her thing come LPGA tournaments.

* LOSE SOME WEIGHT
As Mr3putt says..."SEX SELLS". But let's understand Yani doesn't need and is not going to be supermodel thin. I think all she really needs is to have a better diet (no IHOP!) and slim down slightly.

* PLAY A PGA EVENT (AND HOPEFULLY MAKE THE CUT)
Yes, this would be somewhat controversial. But it would huge if she were to be able to make the cut at an PGA event. Unlike some members here, I do believe she's capable of doing this on a short PGA course. I would highly recommend she be on the top of her game before trying this.

* WIN THE US OPEN
Easier said than done. But if Yani were to win the US Open, I do think even the US media would acknowledge her accomplishments and put her in the spotlight.

* BE MORE ACTIVE USING SOCIAL MEDIA
She's fairly active on Facebook. But sign back in on Twitter, post more pictures with your friends/competitors, give us a sense of what's it like to be the #1 female golfer in the world.

* KEEP IMPROVING YOUR ENGLISH
Yani made huge strides in her English language skills in 2011. Let's hope she continues improving here!

* KEEP SMILING (and hopefully keep winning!)
prime007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #14

You guys can complain as much as you want...but one thing you must understand is that sports writers are not there to patronize a certain player. Their main goal is to make money and to patronize what they write. They are looking for players who they think will get people interested to read what they write and at the same time sell their articles. Same thing with people on TV and other forms of media outlets.

Just look at here in Denver right now. Tebow and the Broncos just beat the Pittsburg steelers and look how crazy those media people are! The TV coverage was extended to 2 hours non-stop. Had Pittsburg won, they probably won't even stay on the air for more than 10 minutes. Why? Because they know no one would be interested.

No one except diehard ladies golf fans heard of Yani Tseng here in the U.S., so why bother talking or writing on TV or newspaper? But she is a hero in Taiwan, so, TV and Newpapers are interested in her and it's up to them to patronize her and not U.S. A sportswriters. I rest my case.

And by the way, if the Broncos beat New England next week, I'll put my picture here tebowing MP!

To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!

Last edited by dangerbob; 01-08-2012 at 10:49 PM.
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #15

Unhappy

There was no two hour extension of the Bronco's game on the east coast. As soon as the game was over Jim Nance said nighty, night and CBS switched immediately to their Sunday night Hour of Power news show...Andy Rooney wasn't there tonight.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #16

DB, you're the one who's missing the point. The reason no one but diehard LPGA fans know anything about Yani is because the media doesn't think the best player on tour is worth covering.

What most of us want is for the LPGA to grow. That isn't going to happen by ignoring the top player because she's not blonde and blue eyed, or some teenager that the media assumes will be great someday. We've seen from recent history how that turned out whith the last "phenom."

And by the way, Tebow made me a happy camper.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #17

I agree with MP that the reason Yani doesn't get the ink she deserves is because the U.S. print media doesn't think she is worth covering.

The reason they believe that she's not worth covering is because there isn't enough interest among sports fans in the LPGA. The American sports public thinks Annika is a Jewish holiday.

For several years I checked golf mags and found little about the LPGA. John Feinstein has written several books about golf but I can't find anything about women golfers.

There are few, if any, golf beat writers on newspapers. Writers who cover other sports also know little about the LPGA.

Would Yani have received more coverage if she was an American? Very likely.
What if she was more attractive? Could be.

One way the LPGA can promote individuals is to feed story ideas, including interesting angles, to members of the media. This can be difficult in an individual sport so you need the cooperation of the golfer. As long as the golfer cooperates, it's possible.
benchjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #18
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by prime007 View Post
I'd have to agree with both MarinePaul (Yani deserves more attention) & Mr3putt (sex sells) here...as much as I wish it was different.

I don't think Yani needs to be as attractive as Aza, Belen or Beatriz to garner more attention. But I do think she can do several things to help herself here. Here's my suggestions...

* BECOME A SPOKESPERSON/SPONSOR A CAUSE
One way to really win people's hearts is to become a spokesperson for a cause/charity. I know Yani has donated money to Annika Foundation, Japan (via UNICEF), and Taiwan (special needs kids & golf). But it would do her popularity wonders if she takes up a cause & supports it year-round.

* DRESS MORE FEMININE
I know she prefers shorts to skirts and avoids (maybe scared of?) dresses. But looking (or at least trying to be) more glamorous would certainly help her case in the States. Realize I'm referring to media/press events. I'd dress her up for media/press events...but let her do her thing come LPGA tournaments.

* LOSE SOME WEIGHT
As Mr3putt says..."SEX SELLS". But let's understand Yani doesn't need and is not going to be supermodel thin. I think all she really needs is to have a better diet (no IHOP!) and slim down slightly.

* PLAY A PGA EVENT (AND HOPEFULLY MAKE THE CUT)
Yes, this would be somewhat controversial. But it would huge if she were to be able to make the cut at an PGA event. Unlike some members here, I do believe she's capable of doing this on a short PGA course. I would highly recommend she be on the top of her game before trying this.

* WIN THE US OPEN
Easier said than done. But if Yani were to win the US Open, I do think even the US media would acknowledge her accomplishments and put her in the spotlight.

* BE MORE ACTIVE USING SOCIAL MEDIA
She's fairly active on Facebook. But sign back in on Twitter, post more pictures with your friends/competitors, give us a sense of what's it like to be the #1 female golfer in the world.

* KEEP IMPROVING YOUR ENGLISH
Yani made huge strides in her English language skills in 2011. Let's hope she continues improving here!

* KEEP SMILING (and hopefully keep winning!)

In other words, transform herself in the stereotypical American girl next door. Do you want her to dye her hair blonde, too?

Yani's fine. She doesn't have to change anything. Annika and Lorena were media-approved without changing anything. They both started wearing skirts very late in their career probably at the request of their sponsors who wanted their items showcased, but makeup, skirts, acting more "feminine" wasn't required. Granted, Yani has a steeper uphill battle with the media.

The problem with Yani is 1) The media, even the golf media, doesn't care about the LPGA unless they can latch on to one "it" girl. Right now that one it girl is Lexi Thompson. This is not scheduled to change soon. 2) The American media, which dominates golf media in the world, isn't interested in covering an Asian player. There was almost dead silence when So Yeon Ryu won the US Women's Open last year and she was hot, pretty, and dressed well. The media thinks Asian players won't sell to an American audience so they don't even try.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #19

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
There was no two hour extension of the Bronco's game on the east coast. As soon as the game was over Jim Nance said nighty, night and CBS switched immediately to their Sunday night Hour of Power news show...Andy Rooney wasn't there tonight.

Viva Annika
This just proved my point. No one will be interested about the Broncos' win in the east coast. When I said extended TV coverage, I was talking about the local TV stations. Because Tebow and the Broncos create interest among the TV viewers in the Rocky Mountain areas, they extended the coverage. Yani Tseng, doesn't create that kin of interest among American viewers, so why will the American Sports media patronize her? They are after those who will make money for them. It's the Taiwanese sports writers' responsibility to put her on the global map so to speak. They are successful in publicizing her all over Taiwan, so blame them and not the American sports writers.

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #20

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
The problem with Yani is 1) The media, even the golf media, doesn't care about the LPGA unless they can latch on to one "it" girl. Right now that one it girl is Lexi Thompson. This is not scheduled to change soon. 2) The American media, which dominates golf media in the world, isn't interested in covering an Asian player. There was almost dead silence when So Yeon Ryu won the US Women's Open last year and she was hot, pretty, and dressed well. The media thinks Asian players won't sell to an American audience so they don't even try.
Again, this proved my point!

And also proved that if I was the Lone Ranger, Blue is my new Tonto!

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!