Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Forum Moderator

Yani rejects $25 million endorsement deal

Rejected because the sponsor required her to change citizenship.

Report: Tseng rejects $25 million Chinese offer:Local Knowledge: Golf Digest

Report: Tseng rejects $25 million Chinese offer

Saturday, September 18, 2010 Comments (2)
LPGA star Yani Tseng of Taiwan has rejected a $25 million endorsement contract from a Chinese concern that would have required her to change her citizenship to Chinese, the China Post is reporting.
The business was not named, but the Post reports that it has been courting Tseng for a year and that it tendered her a five-year $25 million contract, "plus the use of private jets and a luxury villa in Beijing, the father was quoted by Apple Daily as saying."
The caveat, becoming a Chinese citizen, was immediately rejected. "We cannot change the nationality," her father, Mao-hsin Tseng said, according to Apple Daily. "So we rejected it right away."
Tseng has won three tournaments in 2010, including two major championships -- the Kraft Nabisco Championship and the Women's British Open.
-- John Strege

Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #2

Good. I know I have read opinions that Yani doesn't care if people refer to her country as Taiwan or Chinese Taipei, and maybe that's true. But I also know that Taiwanese who have asserted their identity as Taiwanese and not a part of the People's Republic of China have been blacklisted and banned in mainland China and been subject to virulent criticism in the Chinese press. My favorite Taiwanese singer, A-Mei, was banned for several years for merely singing the Taiwanese National Anthem at former president, Chen Shui-bian's inauguration. Being banned in such an enormous market and subject to threats from angry Chinese nationals who have very passionate feelings about Taiwan not being an independent sovereignty keeps most Taiwanese celebrities from expressing their feelings on the issues, usually deferring to the "I'm a performer, not a politician" defense. But make no mistake, a lot of Taiwanese, especially somebody like A-Mei who is an aboriginal Taiwanese, from the Puyuma people, have a strong sense of being Taiwanese and not part of the PRC. But they dare not say it openly for fear of boycott.

In this case, a Taiwanese star was asked to switch citizenship. Do not underestimate what was going on there and do not think that was simply put in by an overzealous corporation. I smell the inteference of the PRC in this. In recent years, the PRC has suffered two of the most beloved stars switching their citizenship to Singapore, Li Lian Jie (known here as Jet Li) and Gong Li. Ms. Gong, IIRC, married a Singaporean, but nonetheless took a big hit in her popularity immediately afterwards in the PRC. I would not be surprised to see more of what happened with Yani, stars from Taiwan, Singapore, Japan or other countries who are of Chinese ancestry being offered deals which include a pledge of PRC citizenship.

I am now an even bigger fan of Yani's for flatly rejecting the offer.

BTW, I study Mandarin and Chinese culture, and part of my Thai national mother's ancestry is from China. I just want to be clear to any Chinese people in this forum or any Sinophiles like myself that my problem with China is not the people or culture but rather the government of the PRC. Don't even get me started on Tibet or how the PRC continues to help finance totalitarian regimes.

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 09-20-2010 at 09:37 AM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #3

By the way, not that this matters to the subject here, but in case there are those also interested in Chinese culture and celebrities, I referred to Gong Li as Ms. Gong because her family name is Gong, not Li. Li is her given name, she never flipped it around for Western audiences. I've seen her called Miss Li in the American press, due to Li being such a common Chinese family name, but that is a mistake in this case. Not only is Li not her family name, the Li in her name is a completely different character than Jet Li, whose family name is Li.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
By the way, not that this matters to the subject here, but in case there are those also interested in Chinese culture and celebrities, I referred to Gong Li as Ms. Gong because her family name is Gong, not Li. Li is her given name, she never flipped it around for Western audiences. I've seen her called Miss Li in the American press, due to Li being such a common Chinese family name, but that is a mistake in this case. Not only is Li not her family name, the Li in her name is a completely different character than Jet Li, whose family name is Li.
Now you totally have me confused.

Wikipedia has it Gong Li
IMDB has it Li Gong

Last edited by xman5; 09-20-2010 at 01:28 PM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #5

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post

Wikipedia has it Gong Li
IMDB has it Li Gong
Either is fine depending on who's doing the listing. It's like Zhang Ziyi in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or listing it as Ziyi Zhang in Memoirs of a Geisha. But Zhang Ziyi is the traditional Chinese order with the last name first, Zhang. Gong Li is the traditional Chinese custom with the family name, Gong, given first. In the Wikipedia profile they should refer to her last name in bio info, such as Gong was born here, or Gong married this person or Gong studied acting here. Actually, Gong Li and Zhang Ziyi studied acting at the same school and were both first cast by director Zhang Yimou (although the Zhang in Zhang Yimou is a differet character than the Zhang for Zhang Ziyi).

In fact, for fun look at the character for Li in Wikipedia's Gong Li article and look at the Li in Jet Li's article (which should be the first character in Li Lian Jie and the second character in Gong Li). They are two different characters. Bit if you look up Bruce Lee, Ang Lee and Jet Li, they will all have the very common same character that is the Li/Lee family name.

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 09-20-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
NTB

I'm proud of her.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #7

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post

Wikipedia has it Gong Li
IMDB has it Li Gong
In other words, if your real name is Xman Caveman... in China, your name will be written, Caveman Xman and if you are in the U.S. or any other country except China, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam, North and South Korea, your name will be written: Xman Caveman.
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote