Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
Forum Moderator

Yani Next No. 1 Says Annika

"I think we're looking at a world's No. 1 in the next few years," says Annika Sorenstam about Yani Tseng.

'So much fun:' Tseng having a blast on rise up LPGA ranks - USATODAY.com
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Contest Statistician

NOt only is Yani a phenomenal talent, but she has a great personality. I remember the first time I heard her speak. I did not understand her 100% but I felt her enthusiasm and positive vibe.

Good for her. I wish her the best, and yes, she is in my short list to become number one of the world. Lorena will have her work cut out for her if she want to retain her place.
lumazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #3

I'd feel more confident with Yani as a future #1 if Callaway would have signed her. For that matter I think Pettersen,if she'd have stayed with Taylor Made, would be knocking on the door, so to speak, of Ochoa.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lumazi View Post
NOt only is Yani a phenomenal talent, but she has a great personality. I remember the first time I heard her speak. I did not understand her 100% but I felt her enthusiasm and positive vibe.

Good for her. I wish her the best, and yes, she is in my short list to become number one of the world. Lorena will have her work cut out for her if she want to retain her place.
Totally agreed. Yani is a great talent and has a charming and modest personality.
Such a shame about those Golf Channel promotions.

--CK

karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by cleo View Post
I'd feel more confident with Yani as a future #1 if Callaway would have signed her. For that matter I think Pettersen,if she'd have stayed with Taylor Made, would be knocking on the door, so to speak, of Ochoa.
I believe a good golf should be able to play well with any of the top brands.

Unrelated ... I think Lorena will have a hard time staying at #1. There are some big changes in her personal life with regard to her marriage that could be very distracting.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
"I think we're looking at a world's No. 1 in the next few years," says Annika Sorenstam about Yani Tseng.

'So much fun:' Tseng having a blast on rise up LPGA ranks - USATODAY.com
I agree with Annika. Yikes, what did I just say!

Anyway, I would not be surprised if Yani becomes number one in a couple of years.

Lorena, IMO, seems to be losing her enthusiasm about playing a full schedule.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Contest Statistician

I believe a good golf should be able to play well with any of the top brands.
Yes, but that does not mean that certain clubs and setups are not better suited for a golfer and others setups can have a negative effect.

Everyone has a different swing. The clubs need to be tuned to the swing. Especially on the Pro level.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Yes, but that does not mean that certain clubs and setups are not better suited for a golfer and others setups can have a negative effect.

Everyone has a different swing. The clubs need to be tuned to the swing. Especially on the Pro level.
Wouldn't a pro golfer be able to get their clubs tuned exactly to their specs whether they're Callaway, TaylorMade, Nike, Adams, etc.?

I don't believe golfers select which brand of clubs to play based on performance. They pick it based on who offers them the best endorsement deal. Choosing a putter may be an exception this this rule.

Otherwise, why would Tiger Woods have gone with Nike when he turned pro? They were not exactly known for their golf clubs back then. Even if he was using TaylorMades with a Nike stamp on them for a while, he still took Nike for the money.

What about Rocco Mediate switching to Callaway after last year's US Open? Why would he do that except for the money?

Playing a specific brand of clubs is probably more important for weekend amateurs who need all the help they can get and don't have a manufacturer's rep in a big truck following them to the course every day.

I'm just guessing.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Forum Moderator

More on Yani ... she's on Golfweek Cribs:

LPGA Tour | VIDEO: Golfweek cribs: Yani Tseng
Old 06-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #10

Just because Annika said it...it doesn't mean it's going to happen. Golf is a funny game...She can be good this year and badly falter next year!
As LoJo would say, Sheesh!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote