Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #21

Originally Posted by cougar View Post
I believe he worked for Kathleen Ekey in Phoenix.

M.J. won her only tournament with Mike at the Safeway. They get along just fine, but Dad is a problem. This March, I watched them for a few holes in a practice round at La Costa. On one tee, M.J. yanked her drive and asked Mike for another ball. When he tossed one to her, she looked at it and asked for another ball. She tossed the first one to me and I saw that it had "Practice" written on it. We all had a good laugh over it. Apparently, Mike had put a ball in his pocket when they were on the driving range earlier.
I think many of the gals need to do the "Sean O'Hair".

So if the above occured during play...would MJ have been penalized or DQ'd because Mike was in possesion of ball that was not similar to the balls in MJ's bag.

I believe the pros must use conforming balls and all of the same makeup including compression during play.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #22

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
I think many of the gals need to do the "Sean O'Hair".

So if the above occured during play...would MJ have been penalized or DQ'd because Mike was in possesion of ball that was not similar to the balls in MJ's bag.

I believe the pros must use conforming balls and all of the same makeup including compression during play.
Correct. The committee (or the tour, etc) may require in their Conditions of Competition the "One Ball Condition." As you said....requiring the player to play the same brand and model of golf ball during a stipulated round.

This isn't just the pros....the USGA also has the "one ball Rule" for their competitions, including the Amateur events.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #23

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Correct. The committee (or the tour, etc) may require in their Conditions of Competition the "One Ball Condition." As you said....requiring the player to play the same brand and model of golf ball during a stipulated round.

This isn't just the pros....the USGA also has the "one ball Rule" for their competitions, including the Amateur events.
So what happens if a caddy accidently does have a practice ball in their pocket during competition which won't be similar to their in play balls.....is there a penalty?

On another note.....wasn't the Shark DQ'd in the 90's cause his balls were not yet on the approved/conforming ball list?.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #24
sag

On another note.....wasn't the Shark DQ'd in the 90's cause his balls were not yet on the approved/conforming ball list?.
OK, you got me curious, so I looked it up:
"The ball that I used is a legal golf ball," said Norman, the event's defending champion, who was five strokes behind the second-round leader, Kevin Sutherland, when he disqualified himself. "It's been approved by the U.S.G.A., but the difference is, there is a different stamping on my golf ball."

Under the United States Golf Association's conforming-ball rule, Norman explained, the stamping on his Maxfli ball -- which he was using this week on an experimental basis -- should have read "XS-90." But Norman's ball was stamped "XS-9," and for lack of a zero the ball was technically illegal "even though it is an identical golf ball to the one that has been approved," Norman said. "It's as pure and simple as that."
sag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #25

Sag
Thx for the update....isn't Google a wonderful thing.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #26

In team sports, when things aren't going well, the manager/coach gets fired. It's more practical then firing all the players.

In golf you fire the caddy.

I think the more important issue is that people who know Yani best are telling her to smile more on the course.
They understand what is going through her mind and how easy it is for negative thoughts to take over.

It's Yani's head that needs help, the caddy issue is secondary.
benchjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #27

So what happens if a caddy accidently does have a practice ball in their pocket during competition which won't be similar to their in play balls.....is there a penalty?
There is no penalty for merely carrying a non-conforming golf ball, just as there's no penalty for carrying artificial devices and unusual equipment unless the player uses such devices. Remember Juli Inkster swinging a weighted "donut" on her club while waiting on a tee? DQ..not for carrying it in her bag, but for using it during a stipulated round.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #28

Sag
Thx for the update....isn't Google a wonderful thing.
And three cheers for Greg Norman's integrity....
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #29

as I recall Yani fired a caddie right after she won a Kraft Nabisco. The caddie was seen and heard trying to talk Yani out of a shot which she played anyway. Yani made it work though.

His "take charge" attitude may have been insubordination in her eyes.

just sayin.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #30

Originally Posted by cleo View Post
as I recall Yani fired a caddie right after she won a Kraft Nabisco. The caddie was seen and heard trying to talk Yani out of a shot which she played anyway. Yani made it work though.

His "take charge" attitude may have been insubordination in her eyes.

just sayin.
Dave went into that tournament knowing it was a one week gig.
cougar is offline   Reply With Quote