Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #1

Yani Interested in Men

In playing on the men's PGA Tour that is.

Uh oh....I guess she might be off gxer's Christmas Card list now.

Tseng reveals interest in playing against men - CNA ENGLISH NEWS
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #2

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
In playing on the men's PGA Tour that is.

Uh oh....I guess she might be off gxer's Christmas Card list now.

Tseng reveals interest in playing against men - CNA ENGLISH NEWS
Lojo,

It is a bit surprising to me that Yani is expressing an interest in competing in a PGA TOUR event.

I think this is just another publicity stunt because Yani is not going anywhere in the highest levels of men's golf as played on the PGA TOUR. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

In addition, I doubt that she'll get an invite to a PGA TOUR event in the USA, she might wrangle something from a sponsor in Asia against men, perhaps a men's Korean tour event or one in Japan, but that's about it.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:04 AM   #3

Should it be that surprising that Yani would be interesting in playing in a Men's Tour event? The previous owner of Yani's home in Orlando had significant success on the LPGA tour and aspired to play in a PGA event!
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:25 AM   #4

Right now, there are at least four people that could best gauge where Yani is compared to the men at this stage. They are...Gary Gilchrist (her coach), Justin Rose (practice partner/neighbor), Ian Poulter (practice partner/neighbor) and Yani herself.

I agree with gxer in that it would be a publicity stunt and Yani will never reach the highest levels of men's golf. I mean the men just have another gear when it comes to driving the ball. Yani could easily be out-driven by 20-40 yards every hole. On a long course, it'd be impossible for her to keep up with the men. Playing against the men, she'd have to rely on the weakest part of her game....PUTTING!! Anyone who follows Yani knows how frustrating it is to see her miss so many 4-6 ft putts.

I'm a really big fan of hers, but unfortunately I'd have to agree with gxer for now. Yani simply isn't ready to take on the men. That said if she can somehow improve her putting to be on Cristie Kerr's level, then I can actually see her making the cut on a very short course.
prime007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #5

Originally Posted by prime007 View Post
Right now, there are at least four people that could best gauge where Yani is compared to the men at this stage. They are...Gary Gilchrist (her coach), Justin Rose (practice partner/neighbor), Ian Poulter (practice partner/neighbor) and Yani herself.

I agree with gxer in that it would be a publicity stunt and Yani will never reach the highest levels of men's golf. I mean the men just have another gear when it comes to driving the ball. Yani could easily be out-driven by 20-40 yards every hole. On a long course, it'd be impossible for her to keep up with the men. Playing against the men, she'd have to rely on the weakest part of her game....PUTTING!! Anyone who follows Yani knows how frustrating it is to see her miss so many 4-6 ft putts.

I'm a really big fan of hers, but unfortunately I'd have to agree with gxer for now. Yani simply isn't ready to take on the men. That said if she can somehow improve her putting to be on Cristie Kerr's level, then I can actually see her making the cut on a very short course.
If Yani gets to a point in her career where she believes, and I mean, truly believes, that she has no competition on the LPGA tour and is winning events at an 80% or better rate, with a season scoring average of 65.5 or better, then she can give up women's golf and try to obtain a PGA TOUR card in a legitimate manner.

She can have her 7 sponsor's exemptions a year, she can enter PGA TOUR q-school, she can play the Hooter's or the eGolf tour, in other words, fight it out with men for a spot on the PGA TOUR and I would not have a problem with her doing that.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #6

Nowhere in the story does Yani say she wants to play on the PGA TOUR. Some dingy female sportswriter said she should play on the PGA tour...NOT Yani.
Here is what Yani said: "I wouldn't care about the results because I'd just want to enjoy the feeling of playing with guys and learning from them to further improve..."
Quit putting the cart before the horse.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Nowhere in the story does Yani say she wants to play on the PGA TOUR. Some dingy female sportswriter said she should play on the PGA tour...NOT Yani.
Here is what Yani said: "I wouldn't care about the results because I'd just want to enjoy the feeling of playing with guys and learning from them to further improve..."
Quit putting the cart before the horse.

Viva Annika
Buzzer,

If you are shaking that finger at me, don't, because my post is about the future with some if's along the way. IMO, Yani has no business playing for fun on the PGA TOUR, that's just plain BS!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
Forum Moderator

"If an opportunity presents itself, I would like to play in a PGA tournament to learn more from male golfers," the Taiwanese star said after the second round of the
So she wants to play in A tournament IF the opportunity presents itself. That's not the same as saying she wants to join PGA Tour. It sounds like she wants to do what Annika did: play in one tournament with the goal of improving her skill and learning from the men's game.

What's the harm? There have been less talented and skilled men playing in PGA Tour events.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
So she wants to play in A tournament IF the opportunity presents itself. That's not the same as saying she wants to join PGA Tour. It sounds like she wants to do what Annika did: play in one tournament with the goal of improving her skill and learning from the men's game.

What's the harm? There have been less talented and skilled men playing in PGA Tour events.
The harm is done to those who are trying to get into a PGA TOUR event who have a goal of being PGA TOUR members.

If Yani had that goal, then she is welcome to any exemptions that comes her way, otherwise, I say stay away.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #10

Smile

Blue,

I think it's time for us to have another bet.

I'll bet you that Yani does NOT play in any PGA TOUR event in 2012.

Are you game?