Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #31

Originally Posted by Shampi View Post
Lexi is not the regular 16 year-old who plays golf in high school and is seeking for a college scholarship. It wasn't the first time she played a LPGA event nor the first she contended for.

I think, with Lexi, age is just a number.
We'll get a better idea of that this month at the Titleholders. Personally, I don't think Lexi has reached a point in her golf game where "age is just a number", she still has a lot to learn and experience in playing professional golf.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #32

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
We'll get a better idea of that this month at the Titleholders. Personally, I don't think Lexi has reached a point in her golf game where "age is just a number", she still has a lot to learn and experience in playing professional golf.
Granted, she needs more experience, but she's already proven that despite being 16 years old she can compete head-to-head with the best.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #33
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
It's not up to the PGA. The tournaments make the invitations available, not the PGA. The John Deere invited MW, not Tim Finchem. The Colonial invited Annika...
As for me, I'd like to see just what Yani's game is like compared to the men.

Viva Annika
I know. I meant the tournaments that are part of the PGA Tour don't need the tiny amount of publicity that Yani will provide.

Yani Tseng is not Michelle Wie or (yet) Annika Sorenstam. A Taiwanese player with little recognition even in the world of golf won't sell tickets the way an American who was making headlines since she was 12 (Wie) or a well-known Hall of Famer (Annika) did.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #34
Forum Moderator

I agree. Her dramatic lack of consistency is not unrelated to the fact that she's only 16.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:01 AM   #35

"Yani Tseng is not Michelle Wie or (yet) Annika Sorenstam. A Taiwanese player with little recognition even in the world of golf won't sell tickets the way an American who was making headlines since she was 12 (Wie) or a well-known Hall of Famer (Annika) did." Blue posted this quote. Is Blue getting soft on Michelle?

Anyway I have been busy with baseball and football and did not notice this thread. But now I need to set the record straight. Everybody wrote about others who played in PGA tour events. They told of World number one Annika missing the cut in the Colonial Open, on a course that all the writers said would be the easiest for Annika to make the cut. Now let's give the result - she mised the cut by FOUR shots!

They said that Michelle missed the cut by one shot in the Sony Open - but they didn't say that she was a 14-YEAR-OLD high school student when she did it!

Now the next year she got an exemption to play in the John Deere Classic in Illinois. She shot a 70 in the first round and was 2-shots inside the cut in the 2nd round after 14 holes. ESPN was televising the event but ran out of it's allotted time.

So did they just tell the viewers that they would tell how she did later in their SportsCenter show? NO! They made quick arrangements with MSNBC, the political news station, to air Michelle's last 4 holes, 6, 7, 8 and 9 LIVE! It was the first time this had ever been done!

Now for a little inside information of what had happened before this tournament started. A guy named Hensby, who was the defending champion, had told the media that Michelle's parents should not have let Michelle play in this event. Michelle looked at a scoreboard and noticed that she was tied with him, and wanted to beat him.

So instead of using a 3-wood on the short par-4 sixth hole, she took out her driver. Her long drive was down the center of the fairway, but the FW slopped from right to left and her ball rolled into a bunker and all the way up to the left lip. This left her with an impossible shot, but she went for the green and hit it into a greenside bunker.

This led to a double-bogey and she missed the cut by 2 shots. If she would have played it safe and used a 3-wood, she could have easily made the cut and history at the same time.
UpDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #36

Originally Posted by UpDev View Post
"Yani Tseng is not Michelle Wie or (yet) Annika Sorenstam. A Taiwanese player with little recognition even in the world of golf won't sell tickets the way an American who was making headlines since she was 12 (Wie) or a well-known Hall of Famer (Annika) did." Blue posted this quote. Is Blue getting soft on Michelle?

Anyway I have been busy with baseball and football and did not notice this thread. But now I need to set the record straight. Everybody wrote about others who played in PGA tour events. They told of World number one Annika missing the cut in the Colonial Open, on a course that all the writers said would be the easiest for Annika to make the cut. Now let's give the result - she mised the cut by FOUR shots!

They said that Michelle missed the cut by one shot in the Sony Open - but they didn't say that she was a 14-YEAR-OLD high school student when she did it!

Now the next year she got an exemption to play in the John Deere Classic in Illinois. She shot a 70 in the first round and was 2-shots inside the cut in the 2nd round after 14 holes. ESPN was televising the event but ran out of it's allotted time.

So did they just tell the viewers that they would tell how she did later in their SportsCenter show? NO! They made quick arrangements with MSNBC, the political news station, to air Michelle's last 4 holes, 6, 7, 8 and 9 LIVE! It was the first time this had ever been done!

Now for a little inside information of what had happened before this tournament started. A guy named Hensby, who was the defending champion, had told the media that Michelle's parents should not have let Michelle play in this event. Michelle looked at a scoreboard and noticed that she was tied with him, and wanted to beat him.

So instead of using a 3-wood on the short par-4 sixth hole, she took out her driver. Her long drive was down the center of the fairway, but the FW slopped from right to left and her ball rolled into a bunker and all the way up to the left lip. This left her with an impossible shot, but she went for the green and hit it into a greenside bunker.

This led to a double-bogey and she missed the cut by 2 shots. If she would have played it safe and used a 3-wood, she could have easily made the cut and history at the same time.
We can always rely on Boola to come up with excuses fior the failures of Michelle Wie.

It's never her,is it ? It's always some malevolent outside influence that precludes her from dominating the sport.

This tale was quite elaborate,though : we get gutsy Michelle taking on the big,bad misogynist,Mark Hensby,a deviously sloping fairway.a cruel lip in the bunker.

How could she possibly know that golf courses had bunkers ?

Oh,the pluckiness !!...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #37

Saint,

You are both cruel and funny at the same time. It's a rare gift, I hope Boola appreciates your gift.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #38
NTB

If Annika had decided in her prime to play on the mens tour she would have won some tournaments.
She would have been like Cory Pavin. She would have had to work very hard on her short game.
But I feel she could have won a few.

Yani the same thing.. The top of the LPGA can win on the mens tour. Not very often.
It is all about length off the tee.. That is the only difference.

I don’t see anything wrong with them playing as an invite. I think it helps the LPGA
Old 11-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #39

Originally Posted by NTB View Post
If Annika had decided in her prime to play on the mens tour she would have won some tournaments.
She would have been like Cory Pavin. She would have had to work very hard on her short game.
But I feel she could have won a few.

Yani the same thing.. The top of the LPGA can win on the mens tour. Not very often.
It is all about length off the tee.. That is the only difference.

I don’t see anything wrong with them playing as an invite. I think it helps the LPGA
This is the only uncensored response I think I can get by MP and Blue.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #40
NTB

This is the only uncensored response I think I can get by MP and Blue.

Don't hold back tell me what you really think.