Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by sag View Post
An "active" year simply means competing in 10 official LPGA tournaments in a year.
Thanks for clarifying that. So Lorena has seven active seasons and needs three more unless they change the rule. She did reach 27 points by season five.

Originally Posted by sag View Post
LPGA: Shin Victories All Count - Hound Dog LPGA
Per Connie Wilson at the LPGA office, Ji-Yai Shin's three victories in 2008 as a non-member count as official career victories and count in her Hall Of Fame total.
So Jiyai has 10 points toward the required 27.

Both Yani and Jiyai are on HOF trajectories. It doesn't look like either are planning to retire at age 28.

Last edited by Blue; 03-07-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #12

lots of pics on my blog: Yani Tseng Pulls Within 10 Points Of Hall Of Fame Prerequisite With 2011 LPGA Hana Bank Championship Win Fairways And Forehands

Congratulations to Yani on another triumph! OK, I know she all but had the 17th point locked up anyway with POY, but since that hasn't been awarded yet, I'm counting Hana Bank as the 17th point. Regardless, however you want to count it, it adds up to the same result: it's Yani...and then everybody else.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #13

If a couple of players win like almost all the tournaments each season. Would it keep great players like Kerr out of the hall of fame?
neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
If a couple of players win like almost all the tournaments each season. Would it keep great players like Kerr out of the hall of fame?
Yani has raised the bar for success on the LPGA Tour. If other players can't keep up, they will not get as much money and the rewards that come with it. It's a simple proposition, isn't it?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #15

It doesn't look like Kerr (currently 16 HOF points) is going to qualify for the HOF based on points. She'd probably need to produce a MONSTER season (like the one Yani is having) to realistically have a shot at qualifying.
prime007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #16

Originally Posted by prime007 View Post
It doesn't look like Kerr (currently 16 HOF points) is going to qualify for the HOF based on points. She'd probably need to produce a MONSTER season (like the one Yani is having) to realistically have a shot at qualifying.
I think Cristie will sneak in.

She'll scrape those eleven remaining points from somewhere...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 10-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #17

What makes Yani's run even more phenomenal is the fact that they are playing at least 5 tournaments less a year. I don't know what they are going to do about Hall Of fame criteria because at this point you are looking at Yani and Ji Yai Shin as two locks who will probably qualify on points and Cristie Kerr, Na Yeon Choi, Paula Creamer and possibly Suzann Pettersen with only outside shots of qualifying on points. I guess if you think of it though, It should be only the cream of the crop who makes it.
ajraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #18

I got mixed feelings about the Hall of Fame criteria. Yes, I agree that only the cream of the crop should make it. But then you have players like Dottie Petter (17 wins, 3 majors, POY, scoring & money title) and Laura Davies (20 wins 4 majors, POY) who don't qualify based on points. I know Davies is still active but her odds of winning 2 LPGA tournaments or a major aren't looking too good.

In my opinion, Yani is the only "lock" of making the HOF at the moment. Jiyai Shin has a good shot...although I'm concerned about her health & confidence level this year. She's a better player than what she's shown us this year.

I'd argue that Na Yeon has the most promise of making it to the HOF after Yani and Jiyai.
She's amazingly consistent and she ALMOST won the POY award last year in addition to the Vare trophy. I'm a *HUGE* Yani fan...but had the season been one or two tournaments longer, it really felt like NYC was going to surpass Yani's Rolex points total (even with Yani's 2 major wins!).
prime007 is offline   Reply With Quote