Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #1

Yani, In Her Own Words: from golf.com

...this is a really nice feature on Yani...one of the best I've seen...mostly, because Yani wrote it (with some editorial help, I'm sure)...I just posted part of the article, there is a lot more...use the link at the bottom...

Yani Tseng's life couldn't be better. Now, let's talk

By Yani Tseng
Published: March 06, 2011

When I was preparing for the new season I knew there were huge expectations for me to play well. Last year I won two majors, the Kraft Nabisco and the Women's British Open, and became the youngest player to win three major championships. (I won the LPGA Championship during my rookie year, in 2008.) It was a huge honor to be awarded 2010 LPGA Player of the Year.

This year I had the pressure of playing my way to No. 1 in the world, which has been a dream of mine since I was 12. Another goal is winning this year's U.S. Women's Open, which, at 22, would make me the youngest player (male or female) to win a career Grand Slam. These are big deals, and there was only one person I could talk to who would understand.

I went to see former No. 1 Annika Sorenstam, who is not only my friend but also my role model. We met at her house in Florida in January, and I asked her for advice on how to handle the pressure. She told me that I can't be afraid and need to embrace the opportunity.

Annika's advice was helpful. I won my first four starts in 2011, and now I'm No. 1 in the Rolex World Rankings. In January I defended my title at the Taifong Ladies Open, an LPGA of Taiwan event. My mother, Yu-Yun Yang, was caddying for me, which made the victory even more special. A few weeks later I traveled to Australia to defend my title at the ISPS Handa Women's Australian Open, and I won by seven shots. Before the final round I got an e-mail from Annika that said, "Great playing in Australia. Keep up the good work and bring it home." The next week I won the ANZ RACV Ladies Masters and moved to the top of the world ranking. I followed that up two weeks ago with a victory at the LPGA opener, in Thailand.

While I was there I was excited and proud that all four big newspapers from my native country of Taiwan covered the tournament. The local media gave me the nickname Queen of Golf. I laughed and said, "Thank you, but I don't think I'm there yet—I need to continue to work hard."

I feel honored to have a friend like Annika. At the 2008 Women's British Open she predicted that I would be No. 1 in four years. When the media told me what she said, I thought it was a joke. When I found out they were serious, I was in shock—my idol believed I was going to be No. 1.

Since I was 12 I wanted to be like Annika and play with her on the LPGA tour. Watching her on TV inspired me to practice and work hard to achieve my goals.

Read more: Yani Tseng's life on LPGA Tour couldn't be better - Tours & News - Golf.com

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #2

Originally Posted by canadianglen View Post
Once again, thanks for the link/post, BKB

I think anyone who has talked to Yani knows how out-going she really is. You can see a lot of Annika's attitude in her. The lady is determined to rise to the top in all fashions of the game, just like her inspiration, the great Annika.
You're welcome...one of my favorite parts of the article was Yani talking about her fearlessness speaking English...I think that translates into her fearlessness in her game...

I don't think most people know that I can speak English. Obviously, there are many Asians on the LPGA tour, and it's hard for fans to know who can speak English. I want American fans to know they can talk to me in English. I'm happy to have conversations and interact with them. I learned to speak English mostly by talking and listening to people when I turned pro and moved to the U.S. (I was 18 but had spent summers in America since I was 12.) I'm fearless, so I'm not afraid to talk with anyone, even if my English isn't perfect.

Read more: Yani Tseng's life on LPGA Tour couldn't be better - Tours & News - Golf.com

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
NTB

I don't think she is a flash in the pan. She will be number one for awhile..