Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Forum Moderator

Tseng trying to finish career grand slam, confident for U.S. Women's Open

From the Colorado Springs Gazette
BRIAN GOMEZ
THE GAZETTE

Sharing a recent bottle of wine with her idol, Yani Tseng asked Annika Sorenstam if it’s unrealistic to think she could complete a career grand slam at the U.S. Women’s Open.

“Am I putting too high of expectations to win this tournament?” Tseng asked. “If you just play the same as last week,” Sorenstam replied, “you’re going to win.”

With that ringing endorsement, Tseng comes to The Broadmoor this week as the decisive favorite to capture the only major that has eluded her, still riding a momentum high from running away with her fourth major, the LPGA Championship by a whopping 10 strokes.

Tseng, 22, of Taiwan, has inhabited the No. 1 ranking in the world (the spot occupied by the retired Sorenstam in 2006 and 2007) since February, and in addition to the LPGA, she has won two other events this year and recorded a runner-up finish at the season-opening major, the Kraft Nabisco Championship. She’s the youngest women’s golfer to have won four majors. And she boasts $5.9 million in winnings, including $1.2 million in 2011.

“I think I just focus more on majors,” said Tseng, whose Thursday grouping includes the defending U.S. Women’s Open champion, Paula Creamer. “I love a tough course. I love the challenge. You’re not going to be shooting lots of low scores. You need to be patient. Lots of people are going to make bogeys. So if you make bogeys here, it’s no worries.”

A pair of 18-hole practice rounds the past two days has given Tseng, who owns the house in which Sorenstam once lived in Orlando, Fla., a better appreciation for the East Course, where Sorenstam tallied her first LPGA Tour win at the 1995 U.S. Women’s Open. She’s fifth on the LPGA Tour in driving distance, yet she’s still pounding 4-irons into greens on some par-4s on the 7,047-yard course, and she hasn’t been able to maneuver thick rough.

But there’s reason for optimism. Tseng said the fairways are “not as narrow as I thought.” Plus, she has been successful in limiting three-putts, stressing the need “to be patient. I’m going to have some three-putts this week. … I think this course suits me very well.”

Along with putting her stamp on Sorenstam’s old stomping grounds, Tseng has made lots of new friends during her quick climb to the top of the LPGA Tour, including PGA Tour stars Trevor Immelman, Ian Poulter and Justin Rose. She said they’ve told her, “Don’t worry about people talking behind you. Just trust yourself and do what you like to do.”

Tseng now speaks near-perfect English – a far cry from when she moved to the U.S. as a 12-year-old. The first U.S. Golf Association tournament she attended was the 2002 U.S. Women’s Open, won by Juli Inkster in Hutchinson, Kan., and after she got an autograph from Inkster, she decided, “I want to be a pro. And I want to be No. 1.”

Only six women have accomplished a career grand slam, and on the list are Inkster, U.S. Women’s Open participant Karrie Webb and Sorenstam, who won 10 majors and 72 total LPGA Tour events for a record $22.5 million in earnings over a career that spanned from 1994 to 2008. In Sorenstam, Tseng finds solace – and a bit of reassurance – for her game.

“In the future, I want to be like her,” Tseng said. “She has just done so many great things for golf. … She told me she has really enjoyed watching me play, and that made me feel lots of confidence.” About trying to finish the career grand slam, Tseng said, “I want that. I want to win this tournament. … I feel very calm, and I don’t feel any pressure.”

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING ABOUT YANI TSENG …
JULI INKSTER
“She’s playing extremely well. She’s fearless. And she’s putting good. I think that’s what’s putting her over the edge right now. … She can bomb the ball. And she has a lot of passion for the game. She wants to be the best, and she wants to get better. She could be here for a while. If she stays healthy, she could probably break a lot of Annika’s records.”

BETSY KING
“She’s strong. She hits it a long way. And she keeps it in play. … She has so much speed, she hits herself on the back on the follow through. That’s just an indication that she has that speed.”

MICHELLE WIE
“She is a very long ball striker. She putts very well. She has all-around a very solid game, which I think makes her play well.”

OTHERS TRYING TO BECOME THE NEXT ANNIKA …
PAULA CREAMER
Residence: Windermere, Fla.
Joined LPGA Tour: 2005
LPGA Tour wins: Nine (most recent at the 2010 U.S. Women’s Open)
Major victories: One (2010 U.S. Women’s Open)
Career earnings: $8.3 million
Her trademark: Wears pink outfits, uses pink club grips and has a pink golf bag
Off the course: A neighbor of Tiger Woods
Like Annika: Both recorded their first major wins at the U.S. Women’s Open

NATALIE GULBIS
Residence: Henderson, Nev.
Joined LPGA Tour: 2002
LPGA Tour wins: One (2007 Evian Masters)
Major victories: None (best finish was third at the 2006 Kraft Nabisco Championship)
Career earnings: $4.2 million
Her trademark: Her sex appeal, having posed in swimwear in her own calendar
Off the course: Raised $20,000 on the NBC reality show “Celebrity Apprentice” in 2009
Like Annika: Both attended Arizona – Gulbis for one year, Sorenstam for two years

CRISTIE KERR
Residence: Scottsdale, Ariz.
Joined LPGA Tour: 1997
LPGA Tour wins: 14 (most recent at the 2010 LPGA Championship)
Major victories: Two (2010 LPGA Championship and 2007 U.S. Women’s Open)
Career earnings: $12.9 million
Her trademark: A breast-cancer activist, donates $50 per birdie toward research
Off the course: Friends with Donald Trump
Like Annika: Topped world rankings last year; Sorenstam was No. 1 in 2006 and 2007

STACY LEWIS
Residence: Fayetteville, Ark.
Joined LPGA Tour: 2009
LPGA Tour wins: One (2011 Kraft Nabisco Championship)
Major victories: One (2011 Kraft Nabisco Championship)
Career earnings: $1.4 million
Her trademark: Has overcome scoliosis, an abnormal curvature of the spine
Off the course: Visited Rwanda in December on a mission trip with Betsy King
Like Annika: Sorenstam’s first win also was a major, the 1995 U.S. Women’s Open

BRITTANY LINCICOME
Residence: Seminole, Fla.
Joined LPGA Tour: 2005
LPGA Tour wins: Four (most recent at the 2011 ShopRite LPGA Classic)
Major victories: One (2009 Kraft Nabisco Championship)
Career earnings: $3.8 million
Her trademark: Her long drives, with an average this year of 273 yards
Off the course: Enjoys fishing and playing Texas hold ‘em
Like Annika: Sorenstam won the ShopRite LPGA Classic three times

ANNA NORDQVIST
Residence: Scottsdale
Joined LPGA Tour: 2009
LPGA Tour wins: Two (most recent at the 2009 LPGA Tour Championship)
Major victories: One (2009 LPGA Championship)
Career earnings: $1.4 million
Her trademark: Always in contention, has made nine of 10 cuts at majors
Off the course: Sponsored by Ping, Puma and Rolex
Like Annika: Both were born in Sweden – Nordqvist in Eskilstuna, Sorenstam in Bro

SUZANN PETTERSEN
Residence: Orlando, Fla.
Joined LPGA Tour: 2003
LPGA Tour wins: Seven (most recent at the 2011 Sybase Match Play Championship)
Major victories: One (2007 LPGA Championship)
Career earnings: $7.5 million
Her trademark: Rocking the Swoosh, uses Nike balls, clubs, gloves and shoes
Off the course: An avid blogger at www.suzanngolf.com
Like Annika: Both edged Karrie Webb in winning a major

Full story and video: Tseng trying to finish career grand slam, confident for U.S. Women’s O - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #2

In the future, I want to be like her, Tseng said. She has just done so many great things for golf.

I hope that isn't completely true because Annika made an appearance where she did not belong a few years ago and I don't want to see Yani repeat it.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #3

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
In the future, I want to be like her, Tseng said. She has just done so many great things for golf.

I hope that isn't completely true because Annika made an appearance where she did not belong a few years ago and I don't want to see Yani repeat it.
What,the Late Show with David Letterman ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X