Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

View Poll Results: How Many Majors Will Yani Tseng Win?
3 0 0%
4-6 5 29.41%
7-9 5 29.41%
10 or more 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack (5) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 04:17 PM   5 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1

How Many Majors Will She Win?

Ok...so let's put Wie polls aside and make a poll for a player who actually won today...how many Majors will Yani win...and why?

I voted 4-6 because I just think there is a lot of competition out there. I know there is no Annika or Lorena..but I think Paula, Cristie, Ji Yai and Suzann have more Majors in them. Anna Nordqvist, too. Morgan...I also think Brittany Lincicome has a game built for Majors...

I think there are players who have not won Majors who have a good chance to do so...Na Yeon Choi...Song Hee Kim...

...we saw what happened when Miyazato got over the winning a tournament hump...what might happen if she gets over the winning a Major hurdle?

...and there are surprise winners popping up like Eun Hee Ji or Birdie Kim...or Hilary Lunke...

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 08-01-2010 at 04:27 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #2

I'm going to say 10-11. She has three now and I'm going to give her one major every two years. I figure she's 22 now and given that 16 more years (38 years old), eight more majors should be just about right. She is going to have a tough time completing the slam though, fast greens and a shaky putter coming down the stretch might do her in at a U.S Open. Ball striking,distance control and length are her strengths and they are all great abilities to have in majors. She'll be force out there for years.
ajraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #3

Four wins and 3 are majors. I'd say her game is well suited for them. With improvement Yani has a good chance to get to double figures. Right now she's in a class of her own since she is significantly longer than the rest of her rivals (except for Pettersen who has lost her putting touch and maybe her nerve when coming down the stretch).
Old 08-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #4

Originally Posted by ajraymond View Post
I'm going to say 10-11. She has three now and I'm going to give her one major every two years. I figure she's 22 now and given that 16 more years (38 years old), eight more majors should be just about right. She is going to have a tough time completing the slam though, fast greens and a shaky putter coming down the stretch might do her in at a U.S Open. Ball striking,distance control and length are her strengths and they are all great abilities to have in majors. She'll be force out there for years.
Se Ri had won the LPGA Championship, the US Open and the British by the time she was 23...and has been chasing the Kraft Nabisco Championship ever since.

A lot of people think Yani will always have problems at the US Open...I wonder if she might experience the same thing as Se Ri chasing that one Major to complete the Career Grand Slam...I hope not...I'd love to see Yani complete the Slam...

by the way, I guess I should point out in my 4-6 vote, I believe Yani will be at the high end...so six Majors...

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #5

Annika may be her "big idol" but I hope she's not like Annika in respect to majors. After her 2 Women's US Open wins by her 3rd year Annika didn't win another major for quite some time.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
Forum Moderator

She has the power and accuracy with her irons to win in the double digits and maturity and experience should overcome her Sunday nervousness. My concern is that her tendency to over-practice may lead to injuries. She has been battling a bad left elbow for most of her career. This is probably only going to get worse unless it's rested and it doesn't look like that is going to happen.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by cleo View Post
Annika may be her "big idol" but I hope she's not like Annika in respect to majors. After her 2 Women's US Open wins by her 3rd year Annika didn't win another major for quite some time.
3 Opens not too bad though.

Did you see her interview after the tournament, how Annika called her over the weekend to encourage her, and telling her she can do it.

If Annika says she's got it, then she's got it.

Maybe it's the house?

Lets just say shes got a big future ahead of her.

Annika still class all the way.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #8

...if her golf game goes down, she can always turn to boxing! This was done by Xgolfingmoma+...on the left is Song Hee Kim (a future Major winner...I hope)...to the right is Sherry...

...ok, I'm going to go boxing-freak on you guys for a second...as a longtime boxing fan and martial artist, I love how Song Hee is actually giving good tips...Yani is standing correctly, in an orthodox right handed position with her left foot forward and her right hand back...she's a little too square at times (shoulders too parallel, but that's ok)...but she is throwing what is called a right hand lead...that means you throw your right hand first, without setting it up with a jab...but that takes longer to travel across your body which unless you have the speed of Roy Jones or Ali in their primes is a dangerous lead punch because without setting it up with a jab you open yourself up to a counter left hook over the lead right...at around the 15 second mark Song Hee is trying to get Yani to throw the left jab first...Song Hee even turns the left over correctly...then around 23 seconds, Song Hee is telling her to move her head...again, sound boxing technique...

...but then near the end...everyone remembers it's just a video game and Yani goes crazy with an insane flurry of punches while everybody...including me watching on my computer...has a good laugh!

Song Hee and Yani having fun at the Evian Party in 2009...

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 08-02-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #9

What's really great in terms of Majors is how many young players we have that will battle it out over the next 10 years. Yani, Paula, Suzann, Morgan, Brittany, Ji Yai....there will be a few others to emerge, maybe Na Yeon Choi, In Kyung Kim or future newcomers like Hee Kyung Seo...maybe the LPGA is not in a good place with media visibility, but in terms of competition over the next decade, they have plenty to be happy about...

...the Taiwanese press made a bee-line to interview Yani's mom...

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #10

21-year-old Tseng hailed as Taiwan's Tiger Woods - Golf - Yahoo! Sports

Article is about how Tseng is being hailed as Taiwan's Tiger Woods.

I found this part of the article interesting....
Golf boomed in Taiwan in the 1980s, but by the early 1990s the sport had started to fade, as government money and corporate sponsorships were funneled to more popular sports, particularly baseball.

Taiwan Golf Association head Hsu Tian-ya said Tseng’s victories had changed all that and the association had applied to host the 2011 LPGA championship.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote