Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

View Poll Results: How Many Majors Will Yani Tseng Win?
3 0 0%
4-6 5 29.41%
7-9 5 29.41%
10 or more 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack (5) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #11

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
21-year-old Tseng hailed as Taiwan's Tiger Woods - Golf - Yahoo! Sports

Article is about how Tseng is being hailed as Taiwan's Tiger Woods.

I found this part of the article interesting....
Golf boomed in Taiwan in the 1980s, but by the early 1990s the sport had started to fade, as government money and corporate sponsorships were funneled to more popular sports, particularly baseball.

Taiwan Golf Association head Hsu Tian-ya said Tseng’s victories had changed all that and the association had applied to host the 2011 LPGA championship.
Very interesting about applying to host the LPGA championship. Seems lke that would create some real travel problems, though.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #12

They would have to change its position in the schedule,which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Perhaps if it was the final leg on the late-season Asian swing ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #13

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
They would have to change its position in the schedule,which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Perhaps if it was the final leg on the late-season Asian swing ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
I think we've discussed before that the LPGA Championship should be moved to later in the season to spread things out. The PGA has their 4 majors April....June....mid July...and August (PGA Championship).

Also, I remember there's been talk about moving the LPGA Champ. to Asia. Of course, I'd think Korea would be the most likely place. Not sure about Taiwan, though.

Anyhow, the article just said they'd "applied" to host it...not that they'd get it.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #14

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
Very interesting about applying to host the LPGA championship. Seems lke that would create some real travel problems, though.
Taiwan is actually closer to the U.S. than Thailand, where they already have some tournaments. Taipei is one of my stop-overs when I go the Philippines. If you fly direct from LAX or San Francisco...it's almost the same number of hours if your stop-over is Tokyo or Seoul, Korea. Then you board a smaller plane to Manila.
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
Contest Statistician

Something most be lost in translation.

There is no LPGA Championship to apply for.

The whole idea was for the LPGA to take over ownership of the Tournament from McD and run it themselves (ie make some money on it). They have bungled that so far but don't expect the LPGA's marque event to leave the country. Rememer the US Open is not an LPGA event.

Wegmans would also like to hold on to it as the LPGA Championship.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #16

What's the tournament being held in Florida in Dec???

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #17

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
What's the tournament being held in Florida in Dec???

Viva Annika
The season ending LPGA Tour Championship .... it was the one held down at Donald Trump's course in Palm Beach. Used to be a limited field...top 30...sponsored by ADT and winner got like $1million.

Now it's a full field event. Last year was sponsored by Stanford Financial, and that guy is in jail somewhere.

LPGA Championship is another thing....a major. Confusing names.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #18
Contest Statistician

Yes 2 different things. The Tour Championship (The old Trump Tournament) isn't going to be played outside the country either.

Though I did like the concept of the cut after each round and the Mill to the winner.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #19

Lightbulb

Okay, now I know. Thanx.
It seems to me, without giving it a lot of thought, that if the LPGA goes global, the tour championship could possibly be held outside the States . The logistics of the travelling, etc., is a little mind boggeling right now. But the suits can probably figure it out. If they could get the right international sponsor (like Toyota, et al) it could be a good thing.

I can't see the LPGA major moving. They need it as a "fundraiser" here. Besides, one major is already overseas.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could bring the fighting from the battlefields to the golf courses???

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote