Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #21

Personally, I'll be interested to see whether the Stanford excuse will be replaced by something else. One thing I do agree with Blue on is the fact that her schedule has been as full as most players, and the potential still hasn't been lived up to. Again, maybe the "Lexi factor" will allow her to focus more, but we'll have to wait and see on that, too.

My belief is that as long as BJ and BO are hanging on, she'll never be any more than she is at ths point.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #22

The point about playing as many tournaments as the top LPGA money winners would be valid if those were the only tournaments played in 2011. Because of the limited LPGA schedule, most of the top players also participated in tournaments on other tours (LET. KLPGA, JLPGA, etc.). While practice time is important to honing playing skills (except maybe to Lincicome), actual competition is better preparation for winning.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #23
Forum Moderator

Michelle Wie played at least one event on the LET in 2011. How many more off-tour events did Yani or Suzann play? Is this enough to claim that Michelle didn't play enough to show her true potential?

Last edited by Blue; 01-15-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #24

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Why do you say she hasn't played a full schedule? She played 20 events in 2011. Five other players who finished in the top 20 of the 2011 money list played 20 events or less and all of these players also won at least one time (Pettersen, Gal, Webb, Miyazato, Hjorth). If she had played 22 events like Yani or 21 like Brittany Lincicome would have she have won a tournament?

In 2010 she played the exact same number of events as Yani and Suzann, more than Jyai Shin who and five more than Paula Creamer who won the US Open?
Playing a full schedule doesn't mean only completing a given number of tournaments, it also has to do with taking weeks off, practicing, hitting the gym, having outings and all the stuff related with your career.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #25

I look for Lexi to be Yani's biggest challenger very soon even if not as early as 2012. Wie will soon enter graduate school once she falters early. The pressure will be overwhelming since the Stanford excuse will have run it's course.

The beauty from Korea has got some nerve to challenge Yani the way she did. She's prettier than the champ but Yani's much farther than her off the tee.

By the way, I haven't been posting for a while since I'm now limited to free wifi on my laptop but I still check out the site for anything interesting to comment on.

Keep writng Shampi, you're improving with your articles.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #26
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Shampi View Post
Playing a full schedule doesn't mean only completing a given number of tournaments, it also has to do with taking weeks off, practicing, hitting the gym, having outings and all the stuff related with your career.
So by that definition, Michelle Wie did play a full schedule in 2011. She took weeks off, she hit the gym, she did stuff for her sponsors and all the other stuff related to her career.

What was different is that she was also going to college when she wasn't playing tournaments. The question remains how not being in college will affect her career in 2012? It could be positive for her or it could be negative.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #27

The bottom line is, she's out of excuses. If she's going to live up to her potential, the time is now. She's no longer "the kid," her injuries are all healed, and she'll be finished with school. It's time to step up if she's going to.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #28

Originally Posted by cleo View Post
I look for Lexi to be Yani's biggest challenger very soon even if not as early as 2012. Wie will soon enter graduate school once she falters early. The pressure will be overwhelming since the Stanford excuse will have run it's course.

The beauty from Korea has got some nerve to challenge Yani the way she did. She's prettier than the champ but Yani's much farther than her off the tee.

By the way, I haven't been posting for a while since I'm now limited to free wifi on my laptop but I still check out the site for anything interesting to comment on.

Keep writng Shampi, you're improving with your articles.
Thanks a bunch, Cleo.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #29

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
So by that definition, Michelle Wie did play a full schedule in 2011. She took weeks off, she hit the gym, she did stuff for her sponsors and all the other stuff related to her career.

What was different is that she was also going to college when she wasn't playing tournaments. The question remains how not being in college will affect her career in 2012? It could be positive for her or it could be negative.

She had to attend school, you can't have a complete (normal) schedule if you're reading and writing essays in your hotel room, seriously!

I think that she can make it a positive thing, but she needs to control her career, a bit more by herself, and not letting mom and dad do everything for her.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #30

Originally Posted by Shampi View Post
I think that she can make it a positive thing, but she needs to control her career, a bit more by herself, and not letting mom and dad do everything for her.
The parental thing is the big one, Shampi. As long as they're hanging on her every move, I don't see her ever being any more than what she is.