Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Yani Tseng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #1

Blue you blew it.

Blue,

I'll be a monkey's uncle, a PGA TOUR tournament director is offering Yani an exemption so you could have won the bet...maybe. I worded the bet not whether or not she was offered an exemption but whether or not she played in the event. This one may not work given her LPGA tour schedule.

Yani Tseng will be invited to play PGA Tour's Puerto Rico Open

PS: I put this article up too soon, without reading it completely, sorry, false alarm.

Tseng's adviser, Ernie Huang, said she would likely not compete against the men "in the near future."

"We appreciate that Puerto Rico has responded so soon, but she has more goals to accomplish, such as completing the Grand Slam and qualifying for the Hall of Fame," Huang told Golfweek. "To play on (the) PGA Tour now will be too much distraction for her."

Last edited by gxer; 11-02-2011 at 02:59 PM.
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #2

Good grief...could they have found a more unattractive photo of Yani to put up on this story?

Clearly, the PGA event in Puerto Rico is NOT the best venue for Yani. The course plays to over 7200 yards and some of the par 4's would be far too long for her. Of the four par 3's....the shortest one is 192 yds, and the others are over 200 yds. Could she reach them...sure she could. But she'd be swinging from her heels and hitting hybrids or fairway woods.

While it wouldn't be a hyped up high profile debut, such as Annika's at Colonial (Puerto Rico is opposite the Doral, so it's like....who cares?), Yani's agent is wise to say "thanks, but no thanks" to this exemption and wait for a better venue. I still think an Asian event would be better for her.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #3

Thumbs up

If she is going to do it I'd like to see her play the Heritage on HHI. The course is not big, the atmosphere would be very relaxing, and she has played the course before I am told. After all she used to live here as a student....four houses from me....but she was young and nobody (including me) knew who she was nor what she would become.
I still see the kids in the golf school, but not as often since I moved into a gated plantation that has three courses to play.
She appears to be the new Queen of Golf and will be for years to come. It seems that Stacy Lewis, Suzann Pettersen or Na Yeon Choi are the only ones that have a decent shot at becoming #1, unless Lexi surprises us all. Can't see anyone else in the mix.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #4

Unfortunately, even if Yani breaks all the significant LPGA records...she'll never get the attention she deserves from the casual golf audience due to her lack of looks.

It comes as no surprise that Nats who has only won once and has done nothing in the past few years.......continues to be a fan fav because of her personality and looks and makes millions per year on endorsements.

I generally only like to watch the attractive gals...but I like Yani because she's a sincere nice young lady and I appreciate how really really takes a swipe at the ball...but I'm in the minority....a huge LPGA fan.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #5

Welcome back 3Putt....we missed you.....at least I did.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Welcome back 3Putt....we missed you.....at least I did.

Viva Annika

But our aim is getting better.

Seriously, welcome back. I agree that Yani will never get the recognition she deserves from the general public, but it's not all because of her looks. I agree that has something to do with it, as your example of Natalie is right on the money. More than anything else, though, she won't get the recognition because she plays on the LPGA Tour.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #7

Buzz & MP
Thx gents.

Got back from a 6 city....10 day tour of China last week with my wife and mom...still feeling the jet lag.....can't sleep at night and tired during the day...oh too be young again and recover faster.

FYI.....If you go to China and have the time.....do the 3 week tour packages....if limited time......I suggest only.....Beijing......lots of history there.

It's pretty sad to see the lifestyle of many there. 75 yr old women sweeping the streets starting at 5am for 40 cents a day, due to no social safety net.

And the workers in the factories to feed our western hemisphere need for cheap goods make $170/mth and if 5 mins late or caught talking......50 cents is docked off their pay for every infraction.

Although many are becoming middle class.....a lot of new cars on the streets now vs. 10 yrs ago.

PS....if the wife is joining you...please be advised the knock-off shopping in Beijing and Shanghai (very policed) is not good in comparison to Hong Kong or Bangkok.....but this still didn't stop my wife from busting my wallet....lol.

I can't believe some of the gals who played in Taiwan flew back to the US only to return to Japan this week. Why not stay in Taiwan or other places nearby. The gals could have done some sightseeing and I'm sure the course in Taiwan would have let them play and practice for free, if they chose, b4 heading to Japan..oh well.

Based on our aging demographics....I believe many have giving up playing tennis but yet still play golf.....I believe women's tennis in comparison to golf is more popular to the general sports audience....you'd think golf would be more popular.

Could this be due to the fact that the women play the same week as the men in the majors?
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Donating Member

I was scared to even open this thread give the title. I am impressed with the civility shown.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
She appears to be the new Queen of Golf and will be for years to come. It seems that Stacy Lewis, Suzann Pettersen or Na Yeon Choi are the only ones that have a decent shot at becoming #1, unless Lexi surprises us all. Can't see anyone else in the mix.

Viva Annika
I won't be surprised if Lexi gives Yani a run for number 1, but Lexi, I think, needs at least another year of seasoning.

However, unafraid to be wrong, I'll make a prediction for you about #1. If Yani gets distracted with the guy stuff and she will, if she partakes in the hype, Lexi will take her down sooner than even I could imagine.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
Donating Member

And unfortunately the world is skewed in favor of good looking people. Harder on women than men. Men with full head of hair go further up the ladder. Good looking women get more press than less attractive females.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote