Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Member Contests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #41
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
so can you leave any time @ NL take your chips and cash them in?

how much do you normally start w/ in NL?

Can you advise on 3 tips to determine when someone is bluffing
also....3 tips when you believe someone has a strong hand

thx
@1-2 Buy in minimum was $60 and max was $300 (alot of places it will be $200). You can play 1 hand and cash out. You can leave at any time.

I bought in for the $300 max each time. I perfer to start at the max because it gives you some room to operate.

At this level I don't worry that much about bluffing. I try to play quality hands and not try to chase unless there is some value to it. When someone is that aggressive towards you it's best to assume that they made it. In the long run it is not always the big hands that you won but the ones that you saved money on that helps you in the long run. If they bluffed you or you layed down when they had a week hand, so be it. You will know after a while that they play weak hands and when you have the nuts you will pounce on them. They tend to think that when you come over the top with the nuts that you are the one bluffing.

When you are the one always showing strength they will eventually give you the benefit of the doubt.

Example. On the river I have a full house. I had been leading out the betting until then. He then shows some agression. 3 aces on the board 1 queen on the board. I have 2 queens. After each round it kept getting better for me until I had the full house, but on the river after the ace comes out the way he bet told me that even though mathematically it is a low chance that he had quad aces. I layed down a full house, I said I know you have the 4th ace, he shows the 4th ace, because he can't help it. Thanks for the info.

Now, could he have been bluffing at the 4th ace, it's possible, but I would rather save the additional money and lay it down and be bluffed, but as I said at this level I assume that they are not bluffing.

Second example from yesterday. I have pocket aces, flop doesn't seem like much. I am agressive the whole way thru. I think I am leading the whole way thru. I make a big bet on the river. He thinks a while, lays down his cards says whenever he has 2 pairs he runs into a set. Now was I bluffing, no I have my pocket aces which looked good with what the board was showing, but my prior strong reputation made whim think that I was in a better position then I was actually in. Of course I don't show him my cards and take in a nice pot smiling to myself inside.

So my basic advice is not to worry about the bluff. Only the very loose overly agressive players will bluff at this level, and in the long run they will lose, even though you see them hitting the miracle card on the river half the time. They seem to be winning, but they are always going back into their pocket. Stay away from them unless you have the nuts.

At least that's my basic philosophy. That's our lesson for today.

Other comments are welcome.

Last edited by xman5; 03-19-2012 at 09:15 AM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #42

Congratulations LPGAFan123 and CTMurray!
Thanks for all your work xman5!
JJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #43
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
[QUOTE=xman5;125927

At least that's my basic philosophy. That's our lesson for today.

Other comments are welcome.[/QUOTE]

Pair of pocket Aces are great. I always bet hard, but had lost a bunch of times against lousy two pairs. I also bet hard when I feel I am on a roll. Spend hours backing off with awful hands and all of a sudden I get a couple good hands and start betting hard. Normally I do very well. I do not understand why, but the good cards often seem to come in bunched of six, seven hands and then back to lousy cards.
My biggest win ever was on the race track (over $5,000.00). My biggest debacle was precisely using my above techniques in NL (over $2000.00) that I then try double or nothing on Black Jack. Lost. I know that you are to smart for that.
I am a good backgammon player. Once I won against a friend close to $10,000, but I felt so bad, I told him to pay the bill for about twenty of us in a big family lunch in a lake and for the water sports rentals.
Another time I played against a pro backgammon French lady (I did not know she was world ranked) and lost $2,000 in 16 hours of non stop playing.
FYI. I quit betting a few years back. Once in Acapulco, a betting center, that had no idea of how to manage horse racing bets began operating. In about three months I raked in over $15,000 USD until they refused to take any more bets from me. But that is a long story and it took a lot of time to prepare the legal scam against amateur "pros".
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #44

Xman
Thx for your reply.

I found your response to be very interesting with another strategy that I have not heard of but makes sense to me based on your likely gambling objectives.

I'm not surprised to see people play tighter vs. what you see on TV.

Is it bad etiquette to leave the table after winning a big hand?

I can't say gambling is high on my priority list..but enjoy watching others gamble and their strategies.

Pokerstar's site went down...I played for fun...when I wanted to waste some time but don't play on other sites...too much wasted time...lol....started w/ $5k and accumulated over $4M...but it's easy to build a pot w/ play money.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #45

You'll have to get into the next tournament Xman sets up for us here. NTB, elf, Wiefan and I also play, and it's been a lot of fun. We've gotten to know each other a little better just having fun with play money.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #46
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
You'll have to get into the next tournament Xman sets up for us here. NTB, elf, Wiefan and I also play, and it's been a lot of fun. We've gotten to know each other a little better just having fun with play money.
Unfortunately, last time I tried we didn't get enough players. Will have to try again soon.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #47
Contest Statistician

Never slow play pocket Aces, Kings or Queens. You need to bet aggressively
pre flop. Here is why the math is important. Remember pre flop you are only seeing 20% of the hand so far. You need as few callers as possible. The more callers decreases the odds of the hand standing up. With one caller you would have +50% expectation. However it is the flop that is then important. A paired board or 2 or 3 of the same suit or connected cards could spell trouble. You want to try never to get to a showdown with a bad looking board.

That's why I like pocket Jacks alot, though many people don't like them. Bet agressively preflop. Hopefully you get only 1 or 2 callers. As long as the flop does not have any cards higher or not paired then a jack bet agressively again. Everyone should fold,even those on a draw. If not then assume that you are beaten by possible a higher pair or better. Good position also helps this hand. You could also do this with lower pairs but the math starts to turn below jacks. Then you might just want to limp in with those pairs if possible and hope to hit something on the flop.

Another hand I like is suited A with anything, if I can limp in even with a bad kicker and hope for a good flop. Even if an ace comes out I have no problem folding. The nut flush against another flush always makes a nice pot win.

If you want to play more loosely Suited King with anything or Jack/10 or 9/10are good hands to play. But don't chase the flush or the straight, let the other players timid or slow play let you get there and remember that these hands may only make the second nuts. Thats when you have to think about your opponent.

What I am trying to work on now is slowing down my play and staying disciplined. I am trying not to make too quick of a decision. Especailly in a big hand I am trying ro remember to think about why my opponent is doing what he is doing, how has he been playing. Trying not to have tunnel vision on my cards. The hardest thing I find is staying disciplined.

Well now I have given away my strategy to beat me. Of course this is only cash game, tournament play is different.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #48
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
Xman
Thx for your reply.

I found your response to be very interesting with another strategy that I have not heard of but makes sense to me based on your likely gambling objectives.

I'm not surprised to see people play tighter vs. what you see on TV.

Is it bad etiquette to leave the table after winning a big hand?

I can't say gambling is high on my priority list..but enjoy watching others gamble and their strategies.

Pokerstar's site went down...I played for fun...when I wanted to waste some time but don't play on other sites...too much wasted time...lol....started w/ $5k and accumulated over $4M...but it's easy to build a pot w/ play money.
At these lower levels I think that tighter play is better in the long run. However, us tighter players who are risk adverse have a tendency to back down to the agression, especailly to younger kids that like to play a very agressive style of play. You can work that agressive method to your advantage too, but I think that the swings up and down are too big. I perfer the less risky small ball aproach.

I too have played for play money, it is not the same as the real thing.

And yes it is bad form to leave the table after a big win. Wait 5 mins, fold every hand then leave. You may be playing with the guys again some other day and they won't forget that.

In the past we have had an online tournament for the members here. Hopefully we can get another on going.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #49
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
My biggest win ever was on the race track (over $5,000.00). My biggest debacle was precisely using my above techniques in NL (over $2000.00) that I then try double or nothing on Black Jack. Lost. I know that you are to smart for that.
I used to play Blackjack. Ok I used to count cards. I did OK. Again I was risk adverse. Generaly it allowed me to play to a slight advantage. Majority of the time I would break even or lose a little, but when I won I won big. Generally I would finish the year ahead.

The only time I would play now is if I had a good day at the poker table and take my profit and play, though I have not done it in a while, been putting my winnings back into my bankroll or using them as tournament entry. Today it's tough to find a good low limit quality game.

Perhaps we should form a mylpga blackjack team. I'll count and you guys come in as the big player.