Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Member Contests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
Forum Moderator

Contests - Current Season Standings

Current contest season to date standings are now up at http://lpgagolfcontests.blogspot.com/

DJGolfer59 is leading the race for Player of the Year.

Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #2

I don't get it Blue. I was 2 points behind X man heading into this week, beat him by 10 and now I'm 11 back.
This is harder to figure out than the Rolex Rankings
ajraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
Contest Statistician

Send a message via Yahoo to DJGOLFER59
Thanks for all your work Blue. Hopefully we can get more and more people joining us to play. Too bad admin couldn't give our contests its own folder to attract people to play
DJGOLFER59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by ajraymond View Post
I don't get it Blue. I was 2 points behind X man heading into this week, beat him by 10 and now I'm 11 back.
This is harder to figure out than the Rolex Rankings
I'll check the numbers, but it's probably because the standings prior to this week were based on total numbers (total strokes in all tournaments played) but from this week on they're based on average strokes (total strokes divided by tournaments played).

There is one flaw in the system right now, which I may or may not get around to fixing soon. It does not compensate for 3 vs. 4 round events. So lumazi and 4wahine who only played in 4-round events have unfairly inflated scores because the point totals in those events are obviously higher than the point total in 3-round events. The best way to fix this is to put in a converter for three-round events that creates an equivalent four-round score. A more complicated system would be to average the scores per round.

But when you think about it, there is an inherent unfairness (though not as great) in general when people don't play all events, because some events (eg, Fields) are lower scoring than others (eg, US Open). This is true in real life LPGA record keeping as well and they don't compensate for it by adjusting for players who only played in lower or higher scoring events.

Anyway, if I have time I'll work on this, until then remember, it's just for fun.

Last edited by Blue; 03-03-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by DJGOLFER59 View Post
Thanks for all your work Blue. Hopefully we can get more and more people joining us to play. Too bad admin couldn't give our contests its own folder to attract people to play
that would be very nice.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Contest Statistician

Maybe instead of using a cumulative point system we can divide the total points of each tournament by the number of pairings that played. That way my 4315 points on the HSBC would be divided by 59 (not 60 since one pairing dropped off) would be 73.14.
This way it would not matter if the tournament was 54 or 72 holes, and we can have people joining at any time.
Anyway... thanks for all the work. I had a lot of fun.
lumazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by lumazi View Post
Maybe instead of using a cumulative point system we can divide the total points of each tournament by the number of pairings that played. That way my 4315 points on the HSBC would be divided by 59 (not 60 since one pairing dropped off) would be 73.14.
This way it would not matter if the tournament was 54 or 72 holes, and we can have people joining at any time.
Anyway... thanks for all the work. I had a lot of fun.
Excellent solution Lumazi. I will implement that as soon as I can.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #8

HI Blue,

APPRECIATE all your hard work!!! The contest made me more interested in how the others played, not only the leaders. My choices didn't play as well as I expected. That's the way it goes my crystal ball is foggy! I don't mind being on the bottom, no where else to go except up!!!

Keep up the good work!!!
4wahine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
Contest Statistician

Send a message via Yahoo to DJGOLFER59
Excellent idea Lumazi. Glad we have new players enjoying the events, hope our fields continue to grow!
DJGOLFER59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #10
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 4wahine View Post
HI Blue,

APPRECIATE all your hard work!!! The contest made me more interested in how the others played, not only the leaders. My choices didn't play as well as I expected. That's the way it goes my crystal ball is foggy! I don't mind being on the bottom, no where else to go except up!!!

Keep up the good work!!!
Hi 4wahine, It's great to have more contestants in the contests. I agree that the best part is getting involved in how all the other players are playing. Don't worry, my crystal ball sees a good finish for you in Mexico City.

It may take me a while, everyone, to get the new season stats up with Lumazi's new method, so your patience is appreciated.