Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Member Contests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #11

Originally Posted by DJGOLFER59 View Post
I remember profdan played in our first contests several years ago. Nice to have you back.

Thank you for your kind words.

I took about a year off from myLPGA.com to concentrate on some other matters. Those have been taken care of; so, now I'm glad to be back and hope to be a little more active.
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #12
Forum Moderator

Hi profdan, I emailed you the latest spreadsheet. Please let me know if you have questions about it. Thank you very much for helping out with this.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:23 PM   #13

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Hi profdan, I emailed you the latest spreadsheet. Please let me know if you have questions about it. Thank you very much for helping out with this.
I received the spreadsheet, blue. Thanks.

I do have one question: How do you choose the 45 players from all the entrants?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:13 PM   #14
Forum Moderator

That's a good question.

Choosing the players isn't part of the scorekeeping job. DJGolfer59 usually does that.

But sometimes I fill in.

When I do the pairings to fill in for DJ like I'll be doing this up-coming week for the State Farm, here's how I do it. DJ may have another method.

For Rounds 1 and 2:
I pick 45 players that seem to be relatively well-known to most contestants and group them in competitively matched groups or other groupings that are interesting so it will be challenging to choose among them. For example, at the US Open, round 1 I put Lorena, Annika and Morgan Pressel together. They ended up scoring 75, 73, 74 so it turned out to be a pretty well matched group. I also put Michelle Wie, Kim Kim and Amy Yang together since they are so often compared by fans. Most of the pairings were set up this way. It will be challenging to do the groupings this week for the State Farm since it's a very weak field with a lot of unknown players.

For Rounds 3 and 4:
Just the top 45 players on the leaderboard.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:42 AM   #15
Contest Statistician

I have a proposal for y'all. I can write a quick website that will basically automate the whole thing. All that is needed is that someone make the pairings, to be done on the web site and to drop in the daily scores (unless I can find a way to get the scores automatically.

You would go to the site make your selections for the predetermined groups. All scoring will be done automatically and results done automatically.

Belive me I can do this in my sleep (and get paid alot when awake). It would only take me about a day. I don't mind doing it.

It will make life a lot easier on everyone, since the whole thing is self maintaining.

I will do it within the next few days so that you can test it and get the idea. Nothing fancy but we can easily use.

I think that this will solve the problems. We can designate someone to do the pairings and scoring weekly and have someone different each week and the website will maintain itself.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #16
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the offer xman5. I was wondering if we had a programmer in the house who could do this.

Am I assuming correctly that the whole thing including adding pairings, deleting pairings in case of a withdrawl, adding contestant picks, and adding scores will be done through a web interface? What will you do to keep people from changing their scores once the tournament starts (not that we're not an honest bunch, just wondering)?

Last edited by Blue; 07-14-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:19 AM   #17

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
I have a proposal for y'all. I can write a quick website that will basically automate the whole thing. All that is needed is that someone make the pairings, to be done on the web site and to drop in the daily scores (unless I can find a way to get the scores automatically.

You would go to the site make your selections for the predetermined groups. All scoring will be done automatically and results done automatically.

Belive me I can do this in my sleep (and get paid alot when awake). It would only take me about a day. I don't mind doing it.

It will make life a lot easier on everyone, since the whole thing is self maintaining.

I will do it within the next few days so that you can test it and get the idea. Nothing fancy but we can easily use.

I think that this will solve the problems. We can designate someone to do the pairings and scoring weekly and have someone different each week and the website will maintain itself.
xman5, that sounds fantastic! Thanks very much for volunteering your skills. I'm looking forward to the beta test.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:21 AM   #18

X-man......it sounds like you are going to a lot of trouble to help all of us enjoy the LPGA a little more. I am not very good on the computer, but I am willing to help out in any way I can. Being retired affords me plenty of time, so if you can use me in any way don't hesitate to call on me.
Thanx for your efforts.....along with Blue, DJ and Profdan.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #19
Contest Statistician

Everything would be done thru a web interface.
There would be a selection to create a Tournament. Basically give it a name and tell the system to create it. The person in charge of the week can do that.

Then there would be a screen to create the pairings. Basically 15 blocks of 3 where the person in charge will create the groupings. All the golfers would be selected of a list, so no need to type a name.

There will be a screen for the person in charge of that tournament to enter the scrores for the round. Basically just drop the scores into a grid that has the golfers prefilled.

You would enter your scores on a screen that will prefill with the groups for that round and you will make your selections from a drop down for that group.
When you first enter your scores for a tournament you will enter your name and a password. It will then use that name and password for the tournament.

So basically it would all be automated with a person in charge to drop in the scores (unless I can find a way to get the scores which I do not think that they have) and select the groupings. It will have a database of all of LPGA players.

I would like to have a test of it done for this weeks tourney. It will be close.

Depending on how slow it is today.

It's not a problem to do, I am always looking for projects to test myself and test new technics. No fancy graphics to start.

I am also assuming that we are an honest bunch. But one thing that we can do is when the round groupings are set the person making the groupings can put in a cut off time so that it will not accept changes after that time, or set a standard time of say 8:00 am EST the morning of the round.

Last edited by xman5; 07-14-2008 at 08:46 AM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #20
Forum Moderator

Perfect!