Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Member Contests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Contest Statistician

Contest Manager Program

OK I finished the 0.9Beta test version of the program.
Here is the link to download.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FQQ07GMP

The download should start automatically.
Save the zip file that downloads.
Make a folder for the program.
Unzip the file that you downloaded to the folder you made. It will unzip 2 files.

To run the program double click on the lpgacontest.exe file.

Last edited by xman5; 07-16-2008 at 05:46 PM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Contest Statistician

The program is basically self explanitory. You can use it to run a complete contest or just for your self to track your scores.

Everything within the program is done from dropdown or pick lists, except for the entry of the scores.

For most screens you first select the Tournament and the round then press a button to get the required data or prefill dropdowns. You will understand it when you see it.

When you have finished making your selections on a data entry screen or grid there will be a button to save. Allways remember to hit save.

On all screens there is a close button that will close the current screen and reactivate the main menu. The main menu is deactivated when you are on a data screen, so allways remeber to hit close to get out of a screen.
--------
The program is preloaded with all of the reamaining tournaments for the year. The LPGA player list is from the current Money List. I added Michelle Wie and Vicky Hurst. I think you will need to add Nancy Lopez because she is not on the money list. It is also pre loaded with all the contestants from last weeks contest.

--------------

Here is what I would do if I was running a tournament (I will do this for my scores this week to test)

1) Add any new contestants.
2) Add any new LPGA Players (i think that we need nancy Lopez)
3) Create the groupings for R1 (this will create the dropdownlists for #4)
4) Enter contestants selections for round 1.
5) When the round is over, enter the scores for the players. For a DQ group leave all in the group at 0.
6) View results in the Results screen.
7) Repeat 3-6 for rounds 2-4
8) Enter bonus points. The system can not do. It has no idea who made the cut or finished where. Enter in everyones points in the grid.
9) view the results in the results screen.

You do not need to do things in this order. You can wait to enter the scores. When you enter the scores it will calculate the round. You can go back to the round and change scores and it wil recalc.However you need to create the groupings for the round before you can put in contestants selections. Always remember to hit save on anyscreen that has a save button. Sometimes it might be combined with the close at the same time. (the bonus screen).

I have a sample tournament in the system. It is call Z Test Invitational and is the last one in the tournament list. You can look at that as an example.

Last edited by xman5; 07-16-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
Contest Statistician

This is only a beta version. I tested it and it seems ok.
let me know of any problems of error messages.

Also let me know of any thing that might help to improve it.

For any of you computer students or programmers the source code is available, so we can make continuous changes in a joint effort.

You can take it on your own and do what you want with it, but don't use it as a base for anything that you will sell. (or at least pay me a royalty)

And yeah the LPGA logos are used and modified without permission. I am sure that they won't mind.

Hopefull in the future we can do this directly on the web. I have a concept in my head of how to do it. I just need to get my web server back running again and start coding (once the summer is over).

This was actually a lot of work, but I did it at 10 times my normal speed (Ok so alot of testing was skipped that I normally would do, but hey this is freeware)

If nobody uses it that's cool too, because it gave me some ideas of how to do it in a web site.

Last edited by xman5; 07-16-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #4

xman5, thanks for doing all this work.

I'm having problems using the program. Every time I double-click on the lpgacontest.exe file, the menu opens fine. But when I try to add Contenstants, I keep getting this message:

"An unhandled exception has occurred in your application. ... Could not find the C:\DOCUME~"... etc.

Did I forget to do something?

Last edited by profdan; 07-16-2008 at 06:02 PM.
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Contest Statistician

I tried it on 3 different computers (xp,vista, 2003 server) in different folder names and did not have that problem.

Make sure that the 2 files are together. 1 is called lpgacontest.exe and the other is called db1.mdb. They must be in the same folder and you must start the lpgacontest.exe file from that same folder. You can also call lpgacontest.exe from a shortcut placed anywhere. But the bottom line is that lpgacontest.exe and db1.mdb must be in the same folder.

What does the message say where you put the "ETC" in your message, that is the important part.

What about other screens.

Are you win 2000,xp, or vista.

All errors are going to be unhandled exceptions because I did not have the time to write error code.

I have to head home now, I have been here about 11 1/2 hours. I will check in around 8 est.

Last edited by xman5; 07-16-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #6

I got it to work. I forgot to unzip the files.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #7

xman5, what a fantastic job you did!

So far, I've completed Manage Groupings and Enter Selections parts. I found the programs very easy to use. I especially like the drop down player list for Manage Groupings. Even better was the ability to record contestant choices from the set up groupings. That saved a lot of time.

One problem I did run into was with Group 13 in Round 2. None of the three players was listed in the drop down menu. I couldn't find Nancy Lopez, Charlotta Sorenstam, or Danielle Amaccappane.

Other than that, you really did a fantastic job!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
Forum Moderator

Thanks again for doing all this work, xman5. It sounds terrific.

I hope I'm not sounding picky because you did all this on a volunteer basis in super quick time and it's very much appreciated, but is there any workaround for Mac users?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by profdan View Post
xman5, what a fantastic job you did!

So far, I've completed Manage Groupings and Enter Selections parts. I found the programs very easy to use. I especially like the drop down player list for Manage Groupings. Even better was the ability to record contestant choices from the set up groupings. That saved a lot of time.

One problem I did run into was with Group 13 in Round 2. None of the three players was listed in the drop down menu. I couldn't find Nancy Lopez, Charlotta Sorenstam, or Danielle Amaccappane.

Other than that, you really did a fantastic job!

I have taken that into account. On the main menu select the second icon "Manage Players". You can add players to the list so that they can be chosen from the drop downs.

I basically took my list from the current money list (I did a cut and past). Those 3 players have not earned any money this year, so they were not origianally included.

I noticied that Wie and Hurst were in the contest so I added them into the list.

After you add those 3 you can go back second round groupings and set up that group.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #10
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Thanks again for doing all this work, xman5. It sounds terrific.

I hope I'm not sounding picky because you did all this on a volunteer basis in super quick time and it's very much appreciated, but is there any workaround for Mac users?

Sometimes I look for projects like this to use them as a basis to experiment with new technics. It some how is not the same when I make up my own projects that have no real purpose.

Did not know you have a mac. The problem is that they are mutually exclusive. Next year we will have a web based version.

There are products that allow you to run Windows programs on macs. VMware is a product that allows you to run Windows as a virtual machine within Mac OS. I have no experience with it.

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/