Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Member Contests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #21

Just two question, Blue.
As I understand it you will be making up the pairings.....they will probably differ from the "official" pairings.....is that right?
And we just pick one player from each pair?

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #22
Forum Moderator

We'll try to use the real pairings, but we know from past experience that sometimes the real pairings are not posted in a timely manner. In that case we'll make up the pairings.

But whenever possible, we'll use the real pairings.

Also, we're only playing with 15 of the pairings, not every pairing in the tournament.

Does this answer your question?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #23

Yes....but what about a late withdrawing by a player......

I like what you are doing and don't mean to nitpick, but that just came to mind. If someone withdraws in the morning do we just go with 14 pairs or ?

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:55 PM   #24
Forum Moderator

This is a good question. You're not nitpicking. What we've done in the past when a player withdraws after the picks are in is throw out that pair. So if we are playing with 15 pairs and one pair is Annika vs. JRo and JRo withdraws (just saying) we throw out that entire pair and move on for the rounds with that pair with just 14 pairs. We'll have another chance for a full set of pairings when the field is repaired in Rounds 3 and 4 in a typical 4-round tournament with a cut.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #25

Thanks for doing this, Blue. I know it's a lot of work, and I appreciate your efforts. Another option for withdrawals would be to put an alternate grouping into the pairings. Not important, just another possibility.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #26
Forum Moderator

We could do that, MP. Have an alternative pairing, and hope that no one from the alternate pairing withdrawals as well. But I'm also trying to keep the effort down for both the players and the scorekeeper.
An alternate pairing means everyone has to pick one additional pair and I have to do more tabulation. And, to be honest, it's a lot of work as it is. I don't think it's that bad to just move on with 14 pairs. But if we start having an epidemic of withdrawls as the season progresses we might want to consider this.

in other news, Manning just sacked. Next down he fumbles. But Giants recover. Is it too late to make a prediction?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #27

Send a message via Yahoo to MoReb51
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Someone who had not played this contest before emailed me and asked how it was played and what the deadlines are.

My reply might be of interest to others as well:
====

Basically it works like this:

1. We'll have about fifteen pairs or groupings from each round posted before each day's play. You pick who you think will win from that pair/group.

2. We try to pick interesting pairs. Sometimes if the tournament does not post the pairs in a timely manner we post "virtual" pairs. That is, we make up interesting pairs based on who is in the field.

3. You get points for picking the most winners, based on their scores. So for example, if one pair is Annika vs. Paula and Annika shoots a 72 but Paula shoots a 66, you get 66 points if you picked Paula and all the others who picked Annika get 72 points. You're ahead for that pair on that day.

4. At the end of tournament, whoever has the lowest score wins.

5. In the past we've had bonus points as well -- like at the start pick who you think will win the tournament and if she wins you get 10 points taken off your score, -5 for a top 10 finish etc.

I'll post more details as we get closer, along with the pairings when they come out.

As for deadline, you have to submit your picks before each round, so there's a deadline before Round 1 and 2 (a single deadline unless there's a repairing for Round 2 and there usually is not). And then again for Round 3 and for Round 4 if there is a Round 4.

So for SBS, there will be a deadline of around 6 pm EST on Feb 13 to get your picks in for Rounds 1 and 2 and another of around midnight EST on Feb 15 to get your picks in after I post the pairings for round 3. Believe me this will make much more sense and seem much easier when it's going on.

Any other questions?
What? No special dispensation and extra points for guessing whether they're going to make a birdie or eagle on a certain hole? Blue, what you're saying is that we're just going to play it straight up and use the player's score WITHOUT all of the special gimmicks that someone else throws in his contets to screw things up. We'll actually be able to keep track without a calculator.

Absolutely BRILLIANT!

In Klingon it means:

"Today is a good day to die.
See you in Hades."
MoReb51 is offline   Reply With Quote