Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > Other Tours

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #1

CDPHP Open Capital Hills at Albany NY

July 27-29, 2019

This is always a well run Symetra tournament by a tireless group of volunteers. I haven’t been following golf this year and showed up cold Saturday. Just walked off #1, seeing who looked like they were going to score and be fun to watch. Watched a few shots from Liz Nagel, Holly Clyburn and others walking the front 9. Hot, 90 deg.F and humid. The “Hills” come into play on the back and watched them play #17 which never fails to draw blood from some victims. The drive narrows to an uphill blind shot unforgiving green. Then after battling 16 holes in the heat the players get to struggle up the hill to see how they did. 3 and 4 putts are not uncommon and a few will putt it off the green back down the hill for some pitching practice and another round of putting.

Sunday I caught up with Jenny Coleman and Alexandra White on the par 5 8th. Allie crushed one off the tee with Jenny about 15 yards behind. They both had beautiful 2nd shots, Allie leaving herself under 10 ft. for eagle. They both walked off with birdies to the treacherous uphill 9th hole. Both off the back, Allie made a crazy 15 foot breaking putt and was feeling it. There was almost no breeze, 90 degrees and humid so it must not have been easy playing. Jenny birdied 10, Allie birdied 12 and it was game on with these two.

Jenny’s fan club of 3 missed cut paid entrants comprised our gallery besides me and another dude. It looked like it was going to be Allie’s day but Jenny kept the pressure on and played mistake free to finish -11 for T-5. #17 caught Allie napping as she had to wait 5 minutes for her approach and let a loose shot not make it to the green resulting in bogey. Both making nice pars on 18, Allie finished a respectable T-9 and I would look for her to be moving up in the standings. Allie has an impressive game but watching her putt is jaw dropping. She scrambled a few times leaving herself 40 to 60 footers and not just scaring the hole but leaving herself nothing for tap ins. She has an engaging smile and is fun to watch play golf.

Robynn Ree took the prize at -13 looking like she could play another 9 without a problem.

Thanks to CDPHP, the organizers and the Ladies for putting on a great show.
tywebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:17 PM   #2
Contest Statistician

Sounds like a fun time. Something about the atmosphere of a Golf Tournament, no matter the size. Just watching the players make it look so easy.

I'm debating whether to go to the PGA Northern Trust next week.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:37 AM   #3

I agree, Golf Tourneys are fun events.

There’s not much that can compare with the spectacle of fully manicured course set up and 140 players playing their brains out. Each person has so much going on in their lives yet they’re all there together doing one thing the best they can. All those people striving for excellence en masse and individually to find an edge or advantage, to not falter and break down.

And they’re all freaking great to start with. You can’t really define it but the LPGA, PGA Tour and PGA of America have a handle on how to keep the game relevant. It’s one of the great things about America that there are so many courses, we are very lucky people. It didn’t happen overnight and should be preserved.

imo
tywebb is offline   Reply With Quote